Barby Mooring, is anyone there at the moment or soon?

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Hi is anyone here due to be going to Barby Moorings soonish. After winterising the boat I planned to seal off the flue pipe - which I might have done but have doubts now whether I did actually did it. Did I turn the cooker off syndrome.

Just wondered if anyone could walk past and put my mind at rest please.

Rubble Queen 2nd from end near the metal bridge exit.

Thanks

You've never moored at Barby, have you!

No (have you?), but I do know of its reputation, hence the subtle sarcasm about good marinas. Have they built any of the advertised facilities yet? Edited by MHS

Cheers Mike, Yellow Tail Shiraz for us tonight. Careful where you moor if you're out on the cut. There will be a few trees down in all this wind. There were a few limbs down when I was moving on Tuesday.

Snap!!!! Quelle coincidence!!!!!!!

Do they? I haven't heard of that but we have not moored in many marinas.

haggis

We have been told that at a couple of Marinas that we have visited .We were told that lots of boaters get home and then can't remember if they had switched this or that off . So it was taking up a lot of time for the marina employees to check the boats. One told us that as soon as they started charging a fee it was amazing how boaters left their boats with everything switched off !.

Tight-fisted so-and-so's. I find that attitude reprehensible. Apart from anything else, when you pay your marina fees you assume that this will ensure that your boat will be safe and secure until the next time you see it. This surely entails staff periodically checking all boats to make sure that nothing is amiss.

If, of course, it's just a question of leaving something, e.g. fridge, on and running the battery down, that's the owner's own fault.

Surely in a marina, unless you are are total recluse, you know enough people to give them a call and ask them to check.

We actually leave a set of boat keys with a 'neighbour' for just such a reason.

Some marinas actually ask you to leave a set of keys with them 'for emergencies'. (Sounds like Barby is still not a marina to 'choose').

The last three marinas we've moored at look after people's boats!! I wouldn't expect anything less of a good marina.

They all have had someone walk the jetties checking everyone's boats at least once a day. It takes them 10 or 15 minutes and could save a disaster. It does however take a lot longer once they inevitably stop to chat.

Edited by MHS

The last three marinas we've moored at look after people's boats!! I wouldn't expect anything less of a good marina.

They all have had someone walk the jetties checking everyone's boats at least once a day. It takes them 10 or 15 minutes and could save a disaster. It does however take a lot longer once they inevitably stop to chat.

Paying for services like this is why I can't afford to use a marina.

Interesting views expressed thanks. Have only just moved to this marina as it seemed a good location for exploring the midlands, came up from K&A. Therefore, have not really met any of the other boaters. Just moored up, winterised and headed for home in Lincolnshire.

I like to move marinas every couple of years and explore the area.

Paying for services like this is why I can't afford to use a marina.

15 minutes per day checking boats at say £12 per hour = £3 per day= £1095 per year / 100 boats in our marina = £10.95 for me to pay per year. Bargain if you ask me!!!! Would you not spend £10.95 keeping your boat safe? Edited by MHS

Interesting views expressed thanks. Have only just moved to this marina as it seemed a good location for exploring the midlands, came up from K&A. Therefore, have not really met any of the other boaters. Just moored up, winterised and headed for home in Lincolnshire.

I like to move marinas every couple of years and explore the area.

I would have done another few hours cruising and stopped at brinklow marina, when we were looking for somewhere to moor our boat it was a lot friendlier than Barby and cheaper.

It's probably worth noting that all we want from a marina is 2 rings on a pontoon, occasional use of a tap and a little bit of space in a rubbish bin

I would have done another few hours cruising and stopped at brinklow marina, when we were looking for somewhere to moor our boat it was a lot friendlier than Barby and cheaper.

It's probably worth noting that all we want from a marina is 2 rings on a pontoon, occasional use of a tap and a little bit of space in a rubbish bin

Most boaters also expect to get somewhere to park the car.

I moored at Barby and Penny was very helpful. I rang up once as I thought Id left her tied to tight in heavy rain and I was told they had been round and loosened ropes that were to tight.

She would also help me get her into my slot should I need in the wind..in fact the other boaters would too.

Penny, IMO is OK...give her a ring or email....

I moored at Barby and Penny was very helpful. I rang up once as I thought Id left her tied to tight in heavy rain and I was told they had been round and loosened ropes that were to tight.

She would also help me get her into my slot should I need in the wind..in fact the other boaters would too.

Penny, IMO is OK...give her a ring or email....

Especially when she's not tied up too tightly.