Rust and water under floor boards

KirstieH

Featured Posts

Thank you all so much for your advise and help, living so far away from the canal system its good to be able to gather other boaters ideas on my concerns, I am not happy with the sump arrangement and the advise over the limber holes has been a revelation thank you all. I shall visit my boat builder with a renewed confidence and ask him to make the alterations. Thank you its really been praying on my mine since my last visit just before the holiday.

We even have a chain each side on EmilyAnne, running fore-aft through the lumber holes. Over kill maybe,but also pence.

The inside of the hull was also shot blasted and painted, like the outside, if we less coats. In hindsight I would aim for an even better painting job inside. You have once chance!

We rust more from the inside than the outside, I am sure.

Daniel

Excellent idea with the chain, so simple and logical when the idea is there in front of you. I am planning to have the bilge area sand blasted and then epoxy primed and painted as I realise its one part of the vessel that once the floor goes down that's it. Outside paint work is easily monitored and maintained but I don't intend lifting the whole floor ever!! That's why I am so grateful for your advise so that I can try to get it right.

Edited by Morningmist

We even have a chain each side on EmilyAnne, running fore-aft through the lumber holes. Over kill maybe,but also pence.

brilliant and simple idea. because of the dead weight of the chain, if it is pulled alternatively from the front and then the back it is unlikely ever to get 'knotted' and will keep any drain holes clear enough for them to work.

Excellent idea with the chain, so simple and logical when the idea is there in front of you. I am planning to have the bilge area sand blasted and then epoxy primed and painted as I realise its one part of the vessel that once the floor goes down that's it. Outside paint work is easily monitored and maintained but I don't intend lifting the whole floor ever!! That's why I am so grateful for your advise so that I can try to get it right.

Basically that. As an extention, you can add elastic bungee cord to one end. I think our chain is nickel plated brass or the like, fairly light weight.

The main issue I think with getting good paint down there is the 'shadows' caused by all the steelwork. Which prevents good blasting or painting of the undersides and returns. I'm sure sure what the best options here are.

Daniel

Bungee attachment makes it a one man clearing operation, even better; Screwfix here I come. Getting the painting scheme right in awkward areas is a challenge not only physically but also on the pocket. epoxy tar at one end and International Interzone 954 at the other, more than likely something in between. Even considered anti corrosive zinc phosphate treatments. I am trying this system on my old wheel barrow that lives outside and a test piece left half submerged in our small garden pond, and to be honest since the last Crick Show my test piece has fared quite well. Decisions! Decisions!