Shaw Family of Swinton/Mexborough /Rotherham

skala

Featured Posts

Hi wondered if anyone could help me with research that I am doing on a branch of my family the Shaws who worked on the canals in the 1800's around Swinton Mexborough and Rotherham.Joseph Shaw was a canal boat owner/Waterman in Swinton South Yorkshire late 1700's early 1800's.He had 2 sons involved in the canal John and George. George was a Master of Vessel according to the 1861 census living at Old Holland ,Kimberworth.There are a number of canal men both boat owners and Masters living at this address with their families and I wondered if it was some sort of boardind house or wharf. Still a boat owner in 1871 he is at Aldwarke Rd Rawmarsh.and even as late as 1881 at 66 he is still a boat owner back at Kimberworth.As reported in the Sheffield Independent 22nd August 1846 he lost his 9yr old son who was sadly drowned in the canal at Masbro'.I wondered what they would have been transporting ,?I presume coal or maybe Swinton Pottery as John had been a Pottery Warehouseman at one stage. I would be interested in any information you could give me or details of where I may find further information on this particular family. Thank you in anticipation

Keith one of the boat owners at our moorings was a working boatman but waddingtons based at swinton were really the last link to working boats in the rotherham area. They are still in location there with boats but they do not operate anymore, steve the owner might have some information he is in his 60s, and his father victor owned the company before him. If you google you should be able to get a number.

You could join the Humber Keel & Sloop Society (http://keelsandsloops.org.uk/join-us/) as their members may have knowledge of boating families. The Newark Heritage Barge group would also be worth contacting (http://www.newarkheritagebarge.com). There are a number of books written by former sloop and keel men, and a quick search on ebay will give some of them. Fred Schofield's book, written with Edward Paget-Tomlinson, is the definitive one regarding their history.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Kendorr said:

Hi Kirkby, and welcome to the forum.

As Skala joined the forum on 18th December 2016 and last visited on December 19th 2019, I very much doubt you will get any response to this, good luck though.

I wonder if she borrowed Laurie Booth's time machine ? ?

Edited by cuthound
To add a missing apostrophe