6L3B

nem

Featured Posts

Hi. I've a Gardner 6L3B and gearbox in a barge I've been renovating. I'm looking to sell the barge but I'm told that the engine is quite a rare variant and that it might be worth getting it independently valued and perhaps sell separately. Does anybody have any suggestions about how to get a valuation? There are some pictures of the engine on my website www.noatun.co.uk/for-sale. Thanks

Hi. I've a Gardner 6L3B and gearbox in a barge I've been renovating. I'm looking to sell the barge but I'm told that the engine is quite a rare variant and that it might be worth getting it independently valued and perhaps sell separately. Does anybody have any suggestions about how to get a valuation? There are some pictures of the engine on my website www.noatun.co.uk/for-sale. Thanks

Well ISTR six cylinder Gardners of the slightly later variety are two a penny, so I'd be surprised if a rare 6L3 would be particularly valuable. I didn't even realise they made an L3 variant. Time to study my 'history of Gardner' book again! Are sure it's not a 6L2? A few of them about and they are MASSIVE!

The 6L3B are not uncommon in fishing boats - her is one currently for sale - includes pics of engine.

http://www.findafishingboat.com/bim-50/ad-78792

This company have 6L3B's for sale (as well as all other models) so may be worth a call to get a price guide.

We also have available: 1L2, 2, 3,4,5,6LW, 6 and 8LXB, 4LK and 6L3B all Gardners.

http://www.findafishingboat.com/gardner-8l3b/ad-48862

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The 6L3B are not uncommon in fishing boats - her is one currently for sale - includes pics of engine.

http://www.findafishingboat.com/bim-50/ad-78792

Oooo lovely! Looks rather like a L2 but even bigger!

460bb43b-9de4-490a-b2fa-3c7f53d22732_lar

Get a feel for the size of it by how small that Record vice in the foreground looks...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Well ISTR six cylinder Gardners of the slightly later variety are two a penny, so I'd be surprised if a rare 6L3 would be particularly valuable. I didn't even realise they made an L3 variant. Time to study my 'history of Gardner' book again! Are sure it's not a 6L2? A few of them about and they are MASSIVE!

I would have agreed but for the fact that Martyn at MPS had several substancial offers when word got around he was rebuilding one (a slower revving 6L3) for a private customer some years back. It was to refit in ex fireboat Beta III, undergoing a full restoration at the time.

gardner_6l3_marine_diesel_engine_027.jpg

Tony Redshaw had a rare marine 3L3 in his then new location at Daventry a few years back, and maybe still has.

8L3's were a popular fit in diesel shunters.

The smaller 5 and 6 cylinder LW's and the similar sized but larger bored LX,LXB's i would have to agree are two a penny due to being the engine of choice for many a bus and truck operator until the 70's/80's but the much much larger L3's and later L3B's are nowadays a rarer beast in the UK. there was a period a decade or so ago where virtually everyone that was getting removed from old fishing boats got exported which has depleated the numbers.

I would have agreed but for the fact that Martyn at MPS had several substancial offers when word got around he was rebuilding one (a slower revving 6L3) for a private customer some years back. It was to refit in ex fireboat Beta III, undergoing a full restoration at the time.

gardner_6l3_marine_diesel_engine_027.jpg

Tony Redshaw had a rare marine 3L3 in his then new location at Daventry a few years back, and maybe still has.

8L3's were a popular fit in diesel shunters.

Most of the many enquiries we had when we were overhauling this one were from the Egypt area, however they didn't seem to get that the engine belonged to someone and was going back in the boat.

For the OP, the going price for a used one is somewhere between about £4k and £6k depending on build spec and general condition, For example many of the older L3's were raw water cooled so are a riskier buy as they have a habit of the blocks rotting to the point that if you need to change the liners you cant. The later marine L3B's tended to be heat exchanger cooled so didnt suffer from this as much.

Edited by martyn 1