Stove hearth fender

Featured Posts

Sooo I'm looking for a way to stop hot coals rolling off the hearth which has no sides onto my floor and potentially setting me and my boat on fire. I've had 2 pieces drop out of the stove so far when I've had the door open and making some careless adjustments to the way it's piled up inside and quickly had to grab them with the fire glove and throw them back in. Of course the obvious answer is to be stop faffing about with it when it's piled up and the coals are hot, but sometimes depending how its burning I may need to do this to stop a piece possibly falling to the front at a later time and hitting the glass.

I could use some home made strips of whatever I find that's suitable to put along to two edges of the corner hearth, but would prefer to find something slightly more decorative like a proper hearth fender. The only ones I can find are 3 sided, 2 short ends and a wide middle.

Anybody know of anywhere that sells one suitable for a corner hearth or any suggestions as to anything else I could use that wouldn't look too out of place, and may be possible to knock up with my limited DIY skills?

Much thankings.

Edited by discusmaximus

A rockery built around it would look nice. You could raise the front guard bars in the stove. Standard lumps of cast iron grates and guards are available, easily cut with a hacksaw to fit. Fit the louvered type with the louvers sloping downwards inside the firebox so that coals tend to fall back in instead of out.

Of course the obvious answer is to be stop faffing about with it when it's piled up and the coals are hot, but sometimes depending how its burning I may need to do this to stop a piece possibly falling to the front at a later time and hitting the glass.

Doesn't the front of your grate have raised "teeth" to prevent coals rolling off?

But if not, why does it matter if hot coals touch the glass?

Edited by blackrose

We have a fender, bought from Argos a few years ago, it's adjustable & does a good job but don't think Argos sell them anymore.

We also put a cheap mat in front of the fire to protect the carpet during winter so no tears if it does get scorched from a stray coal.

post-3985-0-49599700-1481968493_thumb.jpg

Doesn't the front of your grate have raised "teeth" to prevent coals rolling off?

But if not, why does it matter if hot coals touch the glass?

It only has a fairly low straight lip across the front so if something rolls from higher up it just bounces straight over.

Its not the touching of the glass I was bothered about, more the fact of it hitting and cracking it.

By coincidence, this just plopped up on facebook. The answer to ones dreams?

15492399_962198417257188_467925940914531

YES! As luck would have it I've seen one of these here at my marina. Annoyingly it always seems to be attached to something and some inconsiderate sod keeps driving away with it. I'll tell him I need him to scoop up all the ash lying around my stove and take out the securing pins when he's not looking, Phil's yer second cousin.