Hundreds of boats used as homes in London as numbers soar

Ray T

Featured Posts

16 December 2016

HUNDREDS OF BOATS USED AS HOMES IN LONDON AS NUMBERS SOAR

As the number of boats on the Canal & River Trust’s London’s waterways* continues to increase, research for the first time shows just how many people are making their homes on boats in the capital, the charity reports today.

House prices across London remain unreachable for many and hundreds of people have taken to the water as boats are perceived as more achievable: but the differing needs of liveaboard boaters is placing unprecedented pressure on the waterways’ infrastructure, the charity warns.

An explosion in boat numbers in recent years (a 57% increase since 2012) prompted the Trust – the charity that’s working to make London’s canals better – to carry out its first ever “Who’s On London’s Boats” survey to build a picture of the capital’s boating community in an effort to understand and meet their needs. The results show that boat living is increasingly seen as a viable alternative lifestyle by many, particularly younger, people and those living alone or as couples.

Matthew Symonds, boating strategy & engagement manager at Canal & River Trust, said: “London’s waterways are busier than ever before and this survey shows that they are providing a place to live for hundreds of people. It’s fantastic that so many people love the capital’s canals and rivers but the increasing numbers of people choosing to live on the water is bringing new challenges. We’ve done this research so that we can work together with local authorities, developers and boaters themselves to make sure that their needs are met.”

Who are London’s boaters?

· 769 boaters – 58% of the total respondents – describe their boat as their primary residence, with a further 156 saying the boat is either a second or temporary home.

· 50% have been living on boats on London’s waterways for three years of less.

· 50% cite financial reasons as motivation for living on a boat; but an overwhelming 82% are attracted by the waterway environment (boats, wildlife, tranquillity etc).

· 41% of those living on boats are under 35 years old.

· 43% of those living on boats live alone, with 42% living as part of a cohabiting couple.

· 70% own their boats outright.

While boaters have always been synonymous with London’s waterways, this is a fast-growing community, with a 57% increase of boats in the capital since 2012. This research shows that a significant number of these new arrivals are living on the waterways, and the needs reported by respondents reflect the challenges of this shift.

Living aboard can be substantially different to living on land. 558 surveys were completed by boats with a home mooring – somewhere a boat can be kept all the time – while 486 surveys were completed by boats without a home mooring. Boats without home moorings, known as continuous cruisers, are required to move their boats every 14 days in a journey that annually covers a significant portion of London’s waterways. With boaters needing to empty their toilets, fill up with water, charge their batteries and find fuel for their stoves, as well as cruise to find mooring space on often crowded spots, continuous cruising can be like a part-time job.

What do London’s boaters want?

· The top five improvements people want to see are: more mooring places; more mooring rings; water points; more Elsan (toilet emptying) facilities; more dredging.

· 45% would have an interest in securing a permanent mooring if available.

· The most important qualities in a mooring (other than price) are: somewhere people feel personally safe; good services nearby (sewage and rubbish); public transport nearby.

Matthew Symonds continues: “If you live on your boat, especially if you continuously cruise, you need regular and consistent access to mooring space and facilities and, in an increasingly busy environment, this can be a challenge: the growth in boat numbers is moving at a faster pace than we can upgrade the infrastructure. We are looking at ways we can improve things through our London Mooring Strategy, which aims to address the unique challenges and opportunities of boating in the capital, and these results will help inform its development.

“Living afloat is not the same as living in a house but for many people the lower-cost entry point, not to mention the attractions of a strong community, low-impact living and the charms of the waterway environment, means that it is an attractive option. Our advice is not to see living aboard as a way of saving money as there can be many hidden costs, including time: looking after your boat can be like having a part-time job!

“London’s waterways are for all boaters and it’s important that we manage the space fairly for everyone. The survey has given us greater insight into who’s living on our waterways and their needs. Now is our opportunity to gather partners together across the board to make sure that this happens.”

The full results can be found here. (Opens as PDF.)

*The Trust’s London waterways comprise the Grand Union Canal (to Rickmansworth), the Regent’s Canal, the River Lee Navigation (to Hertford), the River Stort Navigation (to Bishop’s Stortford), the Hertford Union Canal and the Limehouse Cut. The results do not include boats moored on the Thames, which is not managed by the Canal & River Trust.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, national press officer, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

It's very encouraging to read that 41% of London boaters are under 35 - the trend of the increasing average age of boaters is evidently reversing. This should put a stop to all the scare stories of the "Where's the next generation of boaters going to come from?" variety. Is this trend reflected nationally?

By the way Ray, I have deleted the duplicate thread as you requested.

"769 boaters – 58% of the total respondents – describe their boat as their primary residence"

I would suggest that this is a VERY conservative figure of the reality of the situation.

If people are living on their boats 'under the radar' they are hardly likely to broadcast the fact in a survey by the 'Canal Administration Authorities', and would therefore either not bother replying to the survey, or, just telling the 'not quite true' version and claim to have a 'high usage' (or something similar).

The problem tends to manifest itself when C&RT put in facilities to meet the demands of X boats, but when 2X boats try to use them, there is a huge uproar about 'insufficient facilities to support the number of boats'.

• Greenie 1

Kind of inevitable really. I know two people living in sheds, not nice brick built 'garages', just sheds. They own the land on which the sheds are, one in Wales, one in Ireland, they are doubtless breaking all sorts of rules. Obviously I know a few people living on boats, they are all infringing a heap of rules, most of these people work. none can afford a house nor will they ever unless they inherit money. Its just the way it is now. If I wanted to live in London I would buy a boat because its the only way I could do it. I live in a good house and I have some money saved, if I cashed the whole lot in I might just about afford an awful bedsit in an awful part of London. Madness.

It's very encouraging to read that 41% of London boaters are under 35 - the trend of the increasing average age of boaters is evidently reversing. This should put a stop to all the scare stories of the "Where's the next generation of boaters going to come from?" variety. Is this trend reflected nationally?

By the way Ray, I have deleted the duplicate thread as you requested.

Curious wording though that suggests that younger people are a different group from those who live alone or as couples!

I'm not so sure. I bought a boat because I've always loved the waterways, have hired and knew I wanted one. I'd also be happy to live on one but it wouldn't work just now for any number of reasons.

Suspect many of the new young boaters are just looking for affordable accommodation and a floating flat. Maybe they will be converted by the experience and maybe not....

I would be interested to know the occupancy rate of the "liveaboard" London boats ... many appear to be unoccupied. Towpath dumpers? Projects? Marina avoiders?

I read of someone on the London Boaters Facebook page who buys/renovates/sells boats - all from the towpath. He moves them all every 14 days. Were they included in the survey?

Statistics can be interesting, but rarely tell the full story.

That's OK, just make up a number to suit your point of view, that's what Alan did, many others do,

After all why go to all that effort of asking and counting, never works. Might as well just make it up and save the effort.

The figures quoted come from the article hounddog, the opinion is clearly that.

That's OK, just make up a number to suit your point of view, that's what Alan did, many others do,

After all why go to all that effort of asking and counting, never works. Might as well just make it up and save the effort.

Actually Alan's post came from his prejudice, even if it had said 93% of 50,000 or 10% of 15 he would still have expressed the same opinion. The numbers, the facts are irrelevant hence my post to Mike.

You really do 'come over' as quite an unpleasant character continuously making snide remarks with little knowledge.

Do you have a reason ? Are you 'living under the Radar' ?

"Me thinks thou dost protest too much"

The numbers I quoted came from the C&RT press release.

My 'comments' (or 'prejudice' as you seem to prefer to call it) were that any survey is only as good as the information provided, and when people are being asked questions, & that replying with the truth could potentially severely impact their lives , I suggest that they would give the answers that the questioner 'wishes to hear' & that will have minimum detriment to the boater.

If, as is planned, C&RT then provide facilities to meet the demand of those boaters who have declared 'live aboard' status, then the facilities will be insufficient to meet the 'true' demand.

I have no desire to further debate this with you, and will leave you to have the 'last word'.

• Greenie 3

Do you have a reason ? Are you 'living under the Radar' ?

"Me thinks thou dost protest too much"

I have no desire to further debate this with you, and will leave you to have the 'last word'.

Thank you.

it is most amusing to see the blind man flailing with his cane.

as for debate, if that's what you call your barnyard name-calling, do CRT base the provision, number and distribution of facilities in London based on numbers or need? it's not my experience or that of the boaters who live there.

Thank you.

it is most amusing to see the blind man flailing with his cane.

as for debate, if that's what you call your barnyard name-calling, do CRT base the provision, number and distribution of facilities in London based on numbers or need? it's not my experience or that of the boaters who live there.

If you want to offer an alternative interpretation to Alan's, why not offer it? When you try to put up a counter argument that solely consists of insulting the other poster, it is you who is made to look foolish. Alan's assessment of you is correct.

Edit: oh I just realised you are Chris Pink, sorry for being slow on the uptake.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

If you want to offer an alternative interpretation to Alan's, why not offer it? When you try to put up a counter argument that solely consists of insulting the other poster, it is you who is made to look foolish. Alan's assessment of you is correct.

Edit: oh I just realised you are Chris Pink, sorry for being slow on the uptake.

And who are you? Lobby Lud? I haven't seen any contribution from you other than this rather strange statement which seems to have nothing to do with surveys, London or facilities or is it only insults when you disagree with someone?

I claim that Ålan's post was based on nothing more than prejudice, he offered no supporting evidence. if that is insulting I apologise. If by insult you mean his blind scrabbling for something to belittle me with then I agree, hence 'the politics of the barnyard'