What else can go wrong?

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Over the last five or six years, I've had the pistons replaced and the bottom half of the engine rebuilt, Immediately after, the clutch disintegrated, followed a couple of years later by the reverse brake band and now the flexible coupling needs replacing. The base plate sprang a leak so it needed a major replating. I had a self draining back deck put in, which the yard managed to fit so one side of it drains the wrong way. The fuel tank was the back end of the hull and rusted through, filling the bilge with diesel. The stove burnt through the flue collar and stuffed the boat full of CO. The instant water heater died. The lift pump fell off and all the oil went into the bilge. The fuel pump fell off and filled the bilge with diesel (again) I'm ignoring normal things like the ropes being cut, the control cables snapping and the clutch slipping so the boat sailed out of a lock by itself.

As far as I'm aware, the only original fittings left are the hooter and headlight and a bit of metal casing round the Lister.

So, tell me, what's going to go wrong next? It would be good to be prepared...

Over the last five or six years, I've had the pistons replaced and the bottom half of the engine rebuilt, Immediately after, the clutch disintegrated, followed a couple of years later by the reverse brake band and now the flexible coupling needs replacing. The base plate sprang a leak so it needed a major replating. I had a self draining back deck put in, which the yard managed to fit so one side of it drains the wrong way. The fuel tank was the back end of the hull and rusted through, filling the bilge with diesel. The stove burnt through the flue collar and stuffed the boat full of CO. The instant water heater died. The lift pump fell off and all the oil went into the bilge. The fuel pump fell off and filled the bilge with diesel (again) I'm ignoring normal things like the ropes being cut, the control cables snapping and the clutch slipping so the boat sailed out of a lock by itself.

As far as I'm aware, the only original fittings left are the hooter and headlight and a bit of metal casing round the Lister.

So, tell me, what's going to go wrong next? It would be good to be prepared...

Batteries for your torch.

Your engines is not a Lister is it? Sounds very much like a couple of Listers I have had. Mind you,I never managed to break the gearbox.

Course it is. SR2. First off it had a massive oil leak and had to be dismantled to get to it, so while in there the guy did the pistons and all the other stuff. Ten minutes after i picked up the boat to take it back to the mooring the clutch fell to bits.

I could have bought a new (well, new old, if you see what I mean) boat for what I've spent in the last five or six years. Though you have to balance that against the fact it cost me virtually nothing in the previous twenty five.