Water Tank - how big is yours?

Johny London

Featured Posts

When I had the boat built, I was concerned about getting the largest water tank I could. They fitted a stainless steel rather than the hull skin itself being used with a bulkhead. So, obviously some space around the sides gets wasted. The documentation says my tank is 300litres. I always had the feeling they were putting a 500 litre tank in, and today I measured it.

The tank itself is approximately 85cmx45cmx140cm. I think that works out to 500 litres?

Anyway, whatever it is, it's not enough. Whenever I find a good spot and stay the whole two weeks I always end up running back and forth with containers. I like to treat myself to the bath once a week (not TOO deep), shower everyday, but there is only me.

What's "normal" for a tank? What's the biggest or smallest anyone has?

I have seen various things on other boats such as water butts and extra tanks fixed onto various places. Currently my water can last say nine or ten days. Another 400-500 litres would be great - any tips?

Also - should I put some sort of tablet in the tank every now and then?

The tank dims work out at 0.535 m3 but those are probably the external dimensions, so about 500L.

My tank is integral and about 800L.

If you want more water you need another tank, under a bed could be a good place, but remember it needs to be close to the centre line if possible otherwise the boat will not be level as the weight of water changes.

• Greenie 1

I really cannot see how one person gets thru som much water . If you ve got 500 litres and its lasting 10 days then how you use 50 litres per day is beyond me completely .

Ive no idea how big my tank is . Its a 58 ft trad , Liverpool boat co narrowboat and so if anyone else does know i d be intetested to find out please .

Anyhow , im on my todd too and i go weeks - at least 3 between fill ups . I shower each day ... Navy style , washing up once a day and often but not always make tea etc with bottled water .

I have a porta potty type loo which has taken over from a pump out type which used water from the main tank and so this saves water too . I top up the flush tank of the porta potty when refilling . I think my pumpout used alot of water . If you have a pumpout maybe consider a portapotty type or a composter .

My laundry is done in a portable twin tub and doesn t use much water . That said , ive no idea how much water one of those posh plumbed in type uses so i couldn t compare as such .

If you are unable or unwilling to use less water you can get these barrell type things used by caravanners and camper vanners that hold 40 litres . You pull them along like a shopping trolley . Mind you , i don t think theyre particularly cheap . If you do have a pump out you could consider removing it , use a different type of toilet , remove the waste tank and fit a freshwater tank of the same dimensions instead in the same space ?? i dunno , but maybe worth thinking about .

cheers

Edited by chubby

We have two tanks, each of which is, I think, 100 gallons. Only one is currently in use but next year we are going to balance them. With no bath and no shower we'll probably manage to stay out for a month without needing to refill.

Lots of 'historic' boats don't have any significant fresh water capacity but it is incredibly useful. Basically we've two salvaged domestic cold water tanks on 18" hign platforms in the back end, with a tap at the bottom. The space underneath is good for keeping stuff cool too.

I really cannot see how one person gets thru som much water . If you ve got 500 litres and its lasting 10 days then how you use 50 litres per day is beyond me completely .
Ive no idea how big my tank is . Its a 58 ft trad , Liverpool boat co narrowboat and so if anyone else does know i d be intetested to find out please .
Anyhow , im on my todd too and i go weeks - at least 3 between fill ups . I shower each day ... Navy style , washing up once a day and often but not always make tea etc with bottled water .

I once knew of a Liverpool boat with an integral tank which never emptied - it turned out to have a leak below the waterline.

I use tank water for tea - I won't drink it raw but PB does, with no ill effects.

According to the documents that came with my 58' Liverpool my tank is 150 gallons approx ( 681 litres)

Paul

According to the documents that came with my 58' Liverpool my tank is 150 gallons approx ( 681 litres)

Paul

Same here. Also Liverpool boat but 55'. I go about a week before I have to fill up but I pretty much use as much as I want. I only conserve if I have guests.

If the plumbing will allow, get a lever tap on the shower head, if you let it go, water stops, soap down, wash hair etc rinse off, you will save tons of water.

Next, have a bath once a fortnight lol.

Now consider this... "Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink" so if you are not drinking it, could you consider taking raw water, diesel, duck poo, detergents and all, and filter it, purify it... etc. That's how the ocean sailors cope with washing.

MInd you I have seen some canal water lol, some of it I don't like cruising through, let alone bathing in it. Mind you, we are on the Thames south of Oxford, and the water is very clear indeed, but there are probably heavy metals and nasties in it when the sediment is disturbed.

RIchard

Thanks all - it seems my tank is a pretty reasonable size then.

I always turn the shower off when lathering up, and don't use it for very long - it's got a big shower head and I know it uses 8 litres a minute when running, I could use the woosher thing or whatever it's called (the one on the flexible hose) thats got a much smaller head. But, one has to have some luxuries :)

Washing up - very little. Always very careful to conserve when brushing teeth etc. One cup of tea a day. The rest of the time bottled water or ginger pop... or beer. I think the corner bath (1200x1200) uses maybe 80 or so litres - I don't fill it right up, but when my bird is over it makes for a nice evening what with a glass of wine - that and a dry off in front of a roaring stove after.

I think I could turn my bow locker into another water tank - maybe there is a way of lining it? I only use it to store all the things for water anyway! 3x25 litre emergency rations, a trolley for transporting them, hoses etc.

Well, now that we all know each others personal habits....

Surprisingly we estimated that the integral tank in our former Evans and Son leisure narrow boat "Chalice" was probably approaching 2000 litres. That is because it was integral, and filled most of the space forward of the cabin, both under the longish well deck and also under the front deck. It lasted forever, but was I suspect quite unusual compared to those with stainless steel or plastic tanks. Full versus empty made huge difference to how "nose high" it sat in the water, though.

Of the current boats....

"Flamingo" - just under 1000 litres, by measurement, (fixed item).
"Sickle" - 2 times 10 litres, (portable - but there is no water system on "Sickle").

Paul

Ditto, mine is a 58ft Liverpool boat and also has (reputedly) 150 gallon stainless tank.

I top it up every Sunday morning (I'm a creature of habit; I have to be. If I don't follow a routine I forget.) Being in a marina, I don't really monitor how much I use. only run out once. About 10.30 at night, mid shower, hair full of shampoo. It was not fun!

Cheers,

T.

Ditto, mine is a 58ft Liverpool boat and also has (reputedly) 150 gallon stainless tank.

I top it up every Sunday morning (I'm a creature of habit; I have to be. If I don't follow a routine I forget.) Being in a marina, I don't really monitor how much I use. only run out once. About 10.30 at night, mid shower, hair full of shampoo. It was not fun!

Cheers,

T.

That's an interesting statement, it made me wonder if your boat is a Liverpool or a Collingwood, whatever they are probably both the same design.

I have a Collingwood, my water tank never seemed to last long when filled right up and it was supposed to hold 150 gallon. 600ltr ish.

my tank is under the well deck with access under the front steps, I had a good look, then worked out what the problem was.

The base plate of the boat is curving upwards toward the bow and the tank is sat on wood battens, also making the tank sit at a jaunty angle.

I then noticed that the tank was fabricated with both the filling and vent connection on the same side of the tank, low side as it sits in the boat.angry.png

So the problem lies there, the tank never fully vents so does not fill right up.

I removed mine and replaced with a liner that now holds 1250 ltrs.

Bazza

I had a bow thruster tube installed when my shell was being built. Because of this, the SS water tank couldn't be as deep as it could have been as it had to go in over the top of the tube. It is about 350 litres. We can manage about ten days with two of us having showers every day, but navy showers of course. Cassette toilet so no big flushes. No washing machine.

Te bow thruster tube has since been taken out. I had it put in during the build with the idea that when I was old and frail I might need it to continue boating. I realise now that if it came to that we would just get a smaller boat. If the tube hadn't been installed we could probably have fitted in a 600 litre tank.

Bazza - Tell me more about that liner. Also - interesting about the vent (air admittance valve?) as mine makes a gurgling sound but I can't see where it is. This time when I filled, the tank was not showing fully full.

Ray - I wouldn't trust a float valve anywhere! Guaranteed to fail sooner or later (especially in hard water) so I hope you have it rigged in such a way that it wont matter too much when it does fail.

Ray - I wouldn't trust a float valve anywhere! Guaranteed to fail sooner or later (especially in hard water) so I hope you have it rigged in such a way that it wont matter too much when it does fail.

Johny, it hasn't failed in 9 years but if it does, the water will drain down two tubes to the bilge at the back of the boat. The main water tank on our boat (Reeves hull) is in the bow where many boats have the gas locker.

That's an interesting statement, it made me wonder if your boat is a Liverpool or a Collingwood, whatever they are probably both the same design.

I have a Collingwood, my water tank never seemed to last long when filled right up and it was supposed to hold 150 gallon. 600ltr ish.

my tank is under the well deck with access under the front steps, I had a good look, then worked out what the problem was.

The base plate of the boat is curving upwards toward the bow and the tank is sat on wood battens, also making the tank sit at a jaunty angle.

I then noticed that the tank was fabricated with both the filling and vent connection on the same side of the tank, low side as it sits in the boat.:angry2:

So the problem lies there, the tank never fully vents so does not fill right up.

I removed mine and replaced with a liner that now holds 1250 ltrs.

Bazza

Billy is a Liverpool boat, built 2005, which I believe is before Collingwood started.

My filler and breather are on opposite sides of the fore deck. The water pump is under the front steps, so I guess access to the tank is there too, but I can't check until I get this damned tree off the boat in a couple of weeks, 'cos it lives on the bottom step. Bah humbug!!!

Cheers,

T.