Starter motor ring gear

Jrtm

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

That video is at the Anson Museum in Stockport. They have  loads of National's , mostly in running order.They  may well be able to help with information on  unconventional starter systems.

The  belted starter system WILL work if you can get a big enough dynamo (see my post 10 re NB Fern) and get the pulley ratios right. 

It's worth  remembering that English Electric diesel locos from the 1950's, 2000HP on 16 cylinders  were/are  started by motoring the generator ( a Dynamo) from  the battery, admittedly 110volt, not 12:

4 minutes ago, billh said:

That video is at the Anson Museum in Stockport. They have  loads of National's , mostly in running order.They  may well be able to help with information on  unconventional starter systems.

The  belted starter system WILL work if you can get a big enough dynamo (see my post 10 re NB Fern) and get the pulley ratios right. 

It's worth  remembering that English Electric diesel locos from the 1950's, 2000HP on 16 cylinders  were/are  started by motoring the generator ( a Dynamo) from  the battery, admittedly 110volt, not 12:

I love the flames from the exhaust at about 2 mins 30 secs!!

well towy will be PUT (rather than needs) out of action for 8 months. in this time the engine will have a 2500 hour service the cylinder heads while off will be stripped cleaned and any parts replaced and a few mods carried out. (ill be combining the standard national oil system with a steam engine oil system for notes i use to have the rn head oil system but this wasnt the best and also you lost a small amout of oil rather than topping the oil up or letting it get burnt.) at the same time ill be adding some form of electric start /electric aid. my plan is dynastart but turn over by hand but to help get the speed up use the dynastart.

the back cabin will be hopefully almost finished.

new running gear or atleast a few will be replaced. and new strings added. new cratch built.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Waving a blowlamp in the air intake makes a Kelvin start IMMEDIATELY!

True Mike - ours always starts first go, either with the blowlamp or Thermostart.

However, up untill this summer, it often started on just one of the two cylinders for a short while - hence the white smoke.

Perhaps because we have spent this summer giving it a good workout on the Rivers Nene and Great Ouse, it now starts promptly on both cylinders?

Back on the canals now, so it will be interesting to see it returns to its old habits.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I love the flames from the exhaust at about 2 mins 30 secs!!

They phased out 2Smoke bikes & other kit because of smoke pollution Pretty "Naff smoke rings ?

• 3 weeks later...

ok I think I'm almost there with my plan for getting a removable starter system on the national. 1 last thing will a 1.6kw starter motor be big enough I know its big for 3.0L strait 6 diesels. it's only got to turn it over decompressed until upto speed then will only have to turn it at compression for maybe 1-2 turns as by then it's normally started.

• 3 weeks later...

two years to work out a starter....I reckon Id have enough bits in the backyard to do it five times over.......there is also an electric strart Russel Newbery flywheel somewhere......have to be careful not to hit it with the mower ,its a heavy lump....Every RN I ever saw had rods out thru the sideplate....A BS 5 CAV,would direct start any of the smaller ones easily....no need for mucking about.....I like the little Taiwanese geared units on the market for about 150 quid new........they really spin a motor over.,and weigh no more than a car starter.

it's taken 2 years mostly as I've had other problems mostly with the gearbox then fuel,

i cant use a rn flywheel as the mounting is diffrent on rn to national, cranks are diffrent.

i was considering getting the flywheel machined for a ring gear but if this gets damaged its a new flywheel. a did find a bolt on cummings ring gear but again flywheel needed to be machined.

my other problem was easly mounting the starter and electrics as i couldnt easly put the starter near the alternator due to my cooling pipes and the fuel and oil filter.

ive now hopefully sorted the design.

ive got a front cast pulley on the front of the flywheel. to this ive had a spacer made and can directly bolt a solid auto flexplate on this is then removable and replaceable, the starter is then a ccw starter and can be located under my fuel tank floor and is again easy to replace its also a 2kw starter so is easy up to the job and all parts can be bought new for around £200-300 5 times cheaper than having my flywheel done and starter motor matched.

my current engine has never been electric start so every bracket ect has to be made

Sorry,no offense meant.............good luck with your project.......the flywheel is from an E6 RN,would be a bit big.....My only connection with RNs is trying to fix them.........and selling the round  cast RN coverplates at swaps as "Royal Navy"  for $20 each.