Dyson V6 Car Charger??

Richard10002

Featured Posts

In previous threads it has become clear that the Dyson In Car Charger doesnt work with the Dyson V6 that some of us have.

However, I've just seen the Dyson V6 handheld on QVC selling with a car charger. Looks like this one:

http://www.dyson.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/handheld/v6-handheld/v6-car-and-boat-extra.aspx

But can't find the V6 car charger sold on its' own on the Dyson site - can anyone dig deep and find it??

can't seem to find a specific car charger anywhere.

However..

looking online the power supply dyson use as their charger is a standard switched mode psu

output voltage 26.1v @ 780mA

with that knowledge it would be fairly simple to make this ebay item work as a charger that would take 12v in and supply the needed 26.1v

can't seem to find a specific car charger anywhere.

However..

looking online the power supply dyson use as their charger is a standard switched mode psu

with that knowledge it would be fairly simple to make this ebay item work as a charger that would take 12v in and supply the needed 26.1v

But given the V6 uses different batteries and a different charger with a different plug and comes with a warning NOT to try to use an regular Dyson charger designed for their other models, the board suspects LiPo are used in the V6.

And LiPo batts won't like a steady 26.1v up 'em.

However..

How would you limit the current? The above advice is DANGEROUS.

I'll repeat here what I posted in the other thread where you said the same thing.

No you couldn't and I would advise anyone reading this to not even consider it.

You cannot charge Li-ion batteries with a power supply. They need to be charged up to a specific voltage and with limited current, otherwise they turn into potential incendiary bombs.

Only ever charge a Li-ion battery with a Li-ion charger.

But given the V6 uses different batteries and a different charger with a different plug and comes with a warning NOT to try to use an regular Dyson charger designed for their other models, the board suspects LiPo are used in the V6.

And LiPo batts won't like a steady 26.1v up 'em.

Indeed. It's already been stated by Dyson that the DC34 charger will not work with the V6.

The module Jess suggested can both set ( limit ) the o/p voltage to 26.1V (or whatever you set it to), and "on the way up" can current limit it as well, so I question why it is not suitable.

I agree that a "standard" boost or up-converter will probably be unsuitable or even dangerous to use, but as long as the "volts per cell" is not exceeded, the current is limited (to less than C is advised) and temp is limited to say 50 degC, it would be useful to know why this module is not suitable.

The module Jess suggested can both set ( limit ) the o/p voltage to 26.1V (or whatever you set it to), and "on the way up" can current limit it as well, so I question why it is not suitable.

I agree that a "standard" boost or up-converter will probably be unsuitable or even dangerous to use, but as long as the "volts per cell" is not exceeded, the current is limited (to less than C is advised) and temp is limited to say 50 degC, it would be useful to know why this module is not suitable.

Can you point us to the correct charge curve/profile for the V6? Edited by WotEver

Well, for Li-ion NMC cells it is 0.7 to 1C for three hours at 4.2V but that's not a Dyson figure. the mains charger is rated at 385mA from memory.

from BatteryUniversity.com

Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide: LiNiMnCoO2. cathode, graphite anode
Short form: NMC (NCM, CMN, CNM, MNC, MCN similar with different metal combinations) Since 2008
Voltages 3.60V, 3.70V nominal; typical operating range 3.0–4.2V/cell, or higher
Specific energy (capacity) 150–220Wh/kg
Charge (C-rate) 0.7–1C, charges to 4.20V, some go to 4.30V; 3h charge typical. Charge current above 1C shortens battery life.
Discharge (C-rate) 1C; 2C possible on some cells; 2.50V cut-off
Cycle life 1000–2000 (related to depth of discharge, temperature)
Thermal runaway 210°C (410°F) typical. High charge promotes thermal runaway
Applications E-bikes, medical devices, EVs, industrial
Comments Provides high capacity and high power. Serves as Hybrid Cell. Favorite chemistry for many uses; market share is increasing.

But I'm holding out for a reply from Dyson!

Well, for Li-ion NMC cells it is 0.7 to 1C for three hours at 4.2V but that's not a Dyson figure. the mains charger is rated at 385mA from memory.

from BatteryUniversity.com

Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide: LiNiMnCoO2. cathode, graphite anode

Short form: NMC (NCM, CMN, CNM, MNC, MCN similar with different metal combinations) Since 2008

Voltages 3.60V, 3.70V nominal; typical operating range 3.0–4.2V/cell, or higher

Specific energy (capacity) 150–220Wh/kg

Charge (C-rate) 0.7–1C, charges to 4.20V, some go to 4.30V; 3h charge typical. Charge current above 1C shortens battery life.

Discharge (C-rate) 1C; 2C possible on some cells; 2.50V cut-off

Cycle life 1000–2000 (related to depth of discharge, temperature)

Thermal runaway 210°C (410°F) typical. High charge promotes thermal runaway

Applications E-bikes, medical devices, EVs, industrial

Comments Provides high capacity and high power. Serves as Hybrid Cell. Favorite chemistry for many uses; market share is increasing.

But I'm holding out for a reply from Dyson!

The most pertinent bit from above now in bold :)

How would you limit the current? The above advice is DANGEROUS.

I'll repeat here what I posted in the other thread where you said the same thing.

Indeed. It's already been stated by Dyson that the DC34 charger will not work with the V6.

I would suggest limiting the current by using the adjustment built into the board, it has adjustment for output voltage and current limit (which was mainly the reason for suggesting it).

I have never before suggested a charger for a dyson vacuum so i think you may have got that part wrong.

I also never said that a charger for a dc34 would work (it would be pretty stupid as the dc34 charger is 24v) the 26.1v rating was taken from the mains charger that dyson themselves offer as a replacement for the V6, given that the board I mentioned can be set to exactly match the output of dysons' own charger why would it not work?

Maybe the Dyson switches off automatically after three hours? I, too, think it dangerous to try this. The Dyson battery might catch fire.

it would be very unusual for that to be built into the charger, most lithium batteries intended for domestic use have control circuits built into the battery pack that monitor the battery and prevent overcharging or over discharging along with keeping the cells in balance (it's partly because of these control circuits that lithium battery packs are so expensive). These sort of circuits require a connection to each cell in the battery pack and as such would need far more connections then the 2 than the dyson charger has.

I got another response from Dyson.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it is not possible for the charger to be purchased separately, they are only available as part of the V6 Car and Boat package.

Yes, the V6 range does use a lithium-ion battery.

Should you have any further queries please don’t hesitate to contact us again via email at askdyson@dyson.co.uk. You can also speak to an advisor on our Helpline by calling 0800 298 0298 or by using the Online Chat function available on our website at www.dyson.co.uk. Our advisors are available between 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and between 8am – 6pm at the weekend.

I got another response from Dyson.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it is not possible for the charger to be purchased separately, they are only available as part of the V6 Car and Boat package.

Yes, the V6 range does use a lithium-ion battery.

Should you have any further queries please don’t hesitate to contact us again via email at askdyson@dyson.co.uk. You can also speak to an advisor on our Helpline by calling 0800 298 0298 or by using the Online Chat function available on our website at www.dyson.co.uk. Our advisors are available between 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and between 8am – 6pm at the weekend.

Why don't you write saying "I bought the car and boat package but unfortunately dropped the charger in the river. How can I obtain a replacement?"