Another Rose-Tinted Article on CCing in London

David Mack

Featured Posts

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20161205-why-young-londoners-are-moving-to-houseboats

And according to the article CRT tell CCers they only need to move 20 miles per year.

That's been edited. When the article first went up it said 15 miles! I nearly spat out my morning cuppa!

I suspect we may be into the usual ambiguity, where what is actually meant is that if they regularly travel over a range of 20 miles, and adhering to the guidelines, they will still generally be left alone, not if they only travel 20 miles in total throughout a year.

Someone regularly travelling over a stretch between two points only 20 miles part, will likely actually cover hundreds of miles in any year, albeit on what most of us would consider a very short stretch.

Without entering the old chestnut about whether this is ""CC-ing" or not, the difficulty CRT have is that they can only insist on "bona fide for navigation", and I suspect most judges would consider that responsible movement over a 20 mile range, (rather than just 20 mikes overall) satisfies that, and hence no crime is being committed.

But do they have the right to cross a boat that does not have a licence thereby not having agreed to the T/Cs. Just asking.

Just answering – No. Nor do they have the right to cross a boat under the command of anyone not the individual who applied for the boat licence.
That is, of course, if relying on the alleged contractual force of the agreement to T&C’s in applying for the licence.
Outside of any such alleged right, the relevant statutes forbid it. They forbid boarding any boat for any reason without notice, except in cases of clear and present danger [in which circumstances, I suspect they would not particularly wish to avail themselves of the right!]

Just answering – No. Nor do they have the right to cross a boat under the command of anyone not the individual who applied for the boat licence.

That is, of course, if relying on the alleged contractual force of the agreement to T&C’s in applying for the licence.

Outside of any such alleged right, the relevant statutes forbid it. They forbid boarding any boat for any reason without notice, except in cases of clear and present danger [in which circumstances, I suspect they would not particularly wish to avail themselves of the right!]

This assumed 'right' to board is also replicated in the T&Cs for CRTs towpath moorings

I suspect we may be into the usual ambiguity, where what is actually meant is that if they regularly travel over a range of 20 miles, and adhering to the guidelines, they will still generally be left alone, not if they only travel 20 miles in total throughout a year.

Someone regularly travelling over a stretch between two points only 20 miles part, will likely actually cover hundreds of miles in any year, albeit on what most of us would consider a very short stretch.

Without entering the old chestnut about whether this is ""CC-ing" or not, the difficulty CRT have is that they can only insist on "bona fide for navigation", and I suspect most judges would consider that responsible movement over a 20 mile range, (rather than just 20 mikes overall) satisfies that, and hence no crime is being committed.

Seems to me that even CRT's own staff don't know what's meant by a 20 mile 'range'.

Seems to me that even CRT's own staff don't know what's meant by a 20 mile 'range'.

I agree.

Or if those commenting on it do know, they use a form of words more or less guaranteed to cause total confusion.

However, I have attended many meetings with BW and CRT over several years where statements made about cruising "range" or "distance" have been completely ambiguous, and where when challenged those reeling them out have been unable to explain what is being measured. So, on balance, I think you are right!

I can sympathise with CRT as to recording movements correctly. Having just cruised down towards London on the GU I noticed there are boats not showing any identification,No registration number or name, so how on earth do CRT loggers deal with them, especially as they seem to be deserted all day!

We decided we had seen enough of the "smoke" by the time we got to Harefield, and are back off towards the lovely open fields of Northamptonshire again. Fortunately I am retired now and don't need to work !

I can sympathise with CRT as to recording movements correctly. Having just cruised down towards London on the GU I noticed there are boats not showing any identification,No registration number or name, so how on earth do CRT loggers deal with them, especially as they seem to be deserted all day!

General opinion here is CRT don't deal with them, they leave them alone and unchallenged.

Or does anyone here know otherwise?

Perhaps staff should read CaRT's own website -

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat/enforcement/boaters-without-a-home-mooring-how-far-is-far-enough

- which gives, at least some understanding as to what is meant by range.

BTW, I was rather horrified to find that waybackmachine had not taken a copy of this page which would mean that CaRT could change this guidance. I have therefore ensured that the web page is recorded for posterity.

Perhaps staff should read CaRT's own website -

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat/enforcement/boaters-without-a-home-mooring-how-far-is-far-enough

- which gives, at least some understanding as to what is meant by range.

BTW, I was rather horrified to find that waybackmachine had not taken a copy of this page which would mean that CaRT could change this guidance. I have therefore ensured that the web page is recorded for posterity.

Annnd that page has been removed!

There are about 3,000 deaths a year on the road, which is why it is safer to drive on the path.

they also found that 60% of accidents occurr within 1/4 mile of the home... therefore to reduce my risk i am moving.

• Greenie 1

We decided we had seen enough of the "smoke" by the time we got to Harefield, and are back off towards the lovely open fields of Northamptonshire again. Fortunately I am retired now and don't need to work !

Just wanted to say I just love your Moniker....

A thought about London mooring has just occurred to me: if these boats are triple-moored, how do CART's staff check the ones in the middle row? Their numbers will not be visible from either side of the canal, and I shouldn't think that they have carte blanche to clamber around other people's boats in order to get a better view.

they do under licence T&C