Wasps

She25

Featured Posts

The wasps at this time of year are desperate for warmth, so a nice warm cratch would be attractive especially if it's had the sun on it for a while, as would be the inside of a boat with the stove on.

As others have said, they do serve a purpose and if you're a keen gardener even more so because they devour aphids that harm your plants such as greenfly.

I know one of the top entomologists in the country and he's told me another interesting fact though somewhat controversial, is that recent research has shown that a wasp sting can cause a heart attack. Previously it hasn't been linked because this doesn't happen until 2-3 weeks after the sting. I don't think it's known yet whether those affected were prone to a heart attack anyway but it's something that is being further researched.

I had a different type of delayed symptom in the summer when after having been stung by a honeybee, I came out in rashes in various parts of my body 2 weeks afterwards (nowhere near the sting). So I took an antihistamine tablet and within 24 hours the rashes had virtually disappeared, and were gone completely after taking another tablet the next day. I've been stung loads of times as I was a pest controller for 10 years and previously never suffered any adverse reactions to stings.

So I think in future, if I get stung I will always take an antihistamine tablet as soon as possible afterwards and the next day too as it may just help.

Sounds like you may have developed an allergy to bee venom. You might want to go and see your GP and discuss whether you should carry an Epipen in the summer. Anaphylactic shock can carry you off very quickly.

Sounds like you may have developed an allergy to bee venom. You might want to go and see your GP and discuss whether you should carry an Epipen in the summer. Anaphylactic shock can carry you off very quickly.

I do carry one but have never needed to use it because I'd never suffered a reaction. As well as having eradicated about 2,000 wasps nests in the 10 years I was a pest controller, I also used to do relocation of honeybees nests and swarms and bumble bees nests rather than killing them. This was very satisfying work but meant I got stung quite a bit even with my bee suit on.

It's ironic that now I've retired I suffered a reaction, probably due to a build up over the years.

I do carry one but have never needed to use it because I'd never suffered a reaction. As well as having eradicated about 2,000 wasps nests in the 10 years I was a pest controller, I also used to do relocation of honeybees nests and swarms and bumble bees nests rather than killing them. This was very satisfying work but meant I got stung quite a bit even with my bee suit on.

It's ironic that now I've retired I suffered a reaction, probably due to a build up over the years.

Something similar happened to my brother in law.

Argh! Sounds horrendous. Well done you for being brave enough to do that!

Perhaps someone can tell me is this is one of those "urban myths": I have always thought that, while wasps will sting at will and can do so multiple times, bees are reluctant to do so because after they have stung someone or something, they die. I can't remember where I learned this, but it was a long time ago.

Edited by Athy

Perhaps someone can tell me is this is one of those "urban myths": I have always thought that, while wasps will sting at will and can do so multiple times, bees are reluctant to do so because after they have stung someone or something, they die. I can't remember where I learned this, but it was a long time ago.

Its true bees stinger has barbs which means the sting remains in the skin as the bees pulls away.

That is all true. Bees will only sting as a last resort, usually when they feel threatened.

Contrary to popular belief, wasps don't sting indiscriminately.

It's often when they feel threatened and when people don't know they are there and disturb them. The most common instances of stings I used to come across were where someone for example picks up something with a wasp on it such as a can of beer or a garden fork, or perhaps accidentally disturbed one.

I knew they must have a purpose.

Slow down there. To believe everything on this earth is there for 'a purpose' must mean a belief in the concept of "intelligent design'.

Which course is only one step away from having an all-powerful, invisible friend. And discussion of that is BANNED!

judge.gif

That is all true. Bees will only sting as a last resort, usually when they feel threatened.

Contrary to popular belief, wasps don't sting indiscriminately.

It's often when they feel threatened and when people don't know they are there and disturb them. The most common instances of stings I used to come across were where someone for example picks up something with a wasp on it such as a can of beer or a garden fork, or perhaps accidentally disturbed one.

Or strims into an underground nest...

I've never seen a wrgie move so fast!

Yes, Mike,I am of that belief. A bee will sting, if you don't brush it of it will take its sting away with it for another day or victim.

That's put my theory to bed then!!

A bee will provided you are patient enough to stand and watch it sometimes slowly manage to work the sting out and survive. Most people don't have that sort of forgiving nature.

As far as I can see the effect of a wasp or bee sting depends on your body chemistry. A bee sting s to me not as bad as a nettle sting and doesn't last as long. I have little hard lumps on the heel of my hand from wasp stings 5+ years ago.

I know people who are the opposite with regard to how the stings effect them.