Canal near Madley hereford

emlclcy

Featured Posts

Hereford & Gloucester canal in Hereford but frankly that's not a lot of use since it's a detached portion of a closed canal under renovation.

I suspect that either Gloucester or Worcester are nearest. Horrible drive on poor roads through lovely countryside. Don't know the village itself but it's generally a nice part of the world if a little detached from civilisation.

JP

Technically the Mon & Brec may be closer. Another detached canal though. But at least one with water.

Edited by Captain Pegg

Hereford & Gloucester canal in Hereford but frankly that's not a lot of use since it's a detached portion of a closed canal under renovation.

I suspect that either Gloucester or Worcester are nearest. Horrible drive on poor roads through lovely countryside. Don't know the village itself but it's generally a nice part of the world if a little detached from civilisation.

JP

Technically the Mon & Brec may be closer. Another detached canal though. But at least one with water.

cheers JP, just had a look on the map and Monmouthshire through the Brecon looks doable maybe?

cheers JP, just had a look on the map and Monmouthshire through the Brecon looks doable maybe?

I would think so. Probably about 25 miles from either Goytre or Govilon and it's mostly trunk roads. You might get stuck behind a tractor or a lorry load of sheep but there shouldn't be any congestion.

Just the trouble of craning your boat out and transporting it over there. Craning in at Goytre Wharf is a routine thing I believe.

And once you are there you are stuck there so it comes down to whether that's OK for you.

JP

I would think so. Probably about 25 miles from either Goytre or Govilon and it's mostly trunk roads. You might get stuck behind a tractor or a lorry load of sheep but there shouldn't be any congestion.

Just the trouble of craning your boat out and transporting it over there. Craning in at Goytre Wharf is a routine thing I believe.

And once you are there you are stuck there so it comes down to whether that's OK for you.

JP

have you cruised this stretch? there are secure marinas I guess

There are a few marinas on the Brecon, but I am not sure whether there are many residential moorings. Most are quite rural.

You have realised that it isn't linked to the main system, haven't you?

yes, if the job works out i'll get it moved by road

Very lovely shallow canal. Shorter boats are preferable.

mines 57ft, have you cruised this one? i'd need a residential mooring in a marina so will have to do my homework

yes, if the job works out i'll get it moved by road

mines 57ft, have you cruised this one? i'd need a residential mooring in a marina so will have to do my homework

You don't see many boats of that length on the Brecon!

I'm sure it has been reported here in the past that residential moorings are quite rare on this canal. Good luck!

Mad Alley is up the bottom of no place. The firm was on Gooses Foot industrial estate there for a while. Good enough road connection to Hereford. I now live between Hereford & Polski-on-Wye. Cart tracks populated with men in big tractors and their wifes in Chelsey ones.

If you're into 'have boat will travel' mode I think Gloucester would be a fair bet to park your ark and gives the best of bad roads, A49/A40. It would be quite a commute but doable.

After that Worcester (Diglis) A4103 from Hffd. Not a bad run and m'be Tewksbury though I don't know about live aboard round that way.

As a previous poster so nicely suggested whatever you do in these parts involves driving through wunderfooll landscape on shit roads.

The nearest and quickest commute to Madley is the Mon and Brec at Abergavenny and would take about 30 mins. Research Goitre wharf and points nearby.

If you approached Hereford from Worcs/Ledbury side you'd spend all day gridlocked in the overdeveloped town trying to cross the bridge to south of the county. Upton on Severn, Tewksbury and Glo'ster are all about an hour (+/-) away, and connected to the canal network.

Abergavenny is a great little town and Madley a thriving village, as an old son of the Shire I hope you find it there.

The nearest and quickest commute to Madley is the Mon and Brec at Abergavenny and would take about 30 mins. Research Goitre wharf and points nearby.

If you approached Hereford from Worcs/Ledbury side you'd spend all day gridlocked in the overdeveloped town trying to cross the bridge to south of the county. Upton on Severn, Tewksbury and Glo'ster are all about an hour (+/-) away, and connected to the canal network.

Abergavenny is a great little town and Madley a thriving village, as an old son of the Shire I hope you find it there.

Thanks for the input I for sure will do a few trial runs

Nice one

Carl

Would Newport Docks let you in?

You would still need a crane and a lorry to get you up to Cwmbran to get into the navigable part of the canal.

Newport Docks is a lot further down the Severn than Portishead, so I think you are being hopeful.

Is your boat suitable and do you have the experience?

You might be better (and safer) heading across from Sharpness into Lydney Harbour and getting transport from there.

If you look for previous threads on transporting boats by road I think the consensus is that it's the crane and transporter that are the main costs, not the number of miles they take you. So getting as close as possible by boat isn't really necessary.

• Greenie 1

I bought an inland waterways map to give me a better perspective. moving my boat from aldermaston seems logical to go to Bristol then over to Newport. no I would not attempt this by myself, as I said about a pilot. otherwise it looks like a round trip to Coventry then Gloucester but then again as nikvah posted it may make sense to lift the boat at Bristol then over the bridge

Looking at the stuff that goes into Newport Dock I doubt you would get permission to take a narrow boat in there. And I bet they would make a hefty charge as well!

If you look on GoogleEarth you might note that are no marina's or private boat moorings on the Usk which might give you a clue that private boats are not "welcome".

I also suggest that before you do anything you get a mooring on the M & B.

I bought an inland waterways map to give me a better perspective. moving my boat from aldermaston seems logical to go to Bristol then over to Newport. no I would not attempt this by myself, as I said about a pilot. otherwise it looks like a round trip to Coventry then Gloucester but then again as nikvah posted it may make sense to lift the boat at Bristol then over the bridge

Just talk to the folks at Aldermaston and at Goytre which are both ABC group marinas. No real advantage in trying to go part way by water and you won't be going down the Severn estuary.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg