Winter Moorings prove popular

Ray T

Featured Posts

I have a winter mooring but still received an e.mail saying I had over stayed. CRT later apologized

& said my details hadn't been updated to "the system" Today I caught a crt employee taking down the boat details- it still hadn't been updated! He also didn't notice that I had a permit in the window.

that doesn't surprise me at all. Winter moorers details probably stuck on a sheet of a4 on the office fridge.

Update from another area. Following zero boats in Loughborough and none at Barrow on Soar.

Cosgrove as pictured above, no boats on winter moorings. probably 15 boats moored towpath side between Cosgrove and Stoke Bruerne - there are no signed WM at Grafton Regis (3 boats last year). Below Stoke Bruerne are 4 boats, including Chalice on the services mooring. no boats in the long pound. Two traders outside the pub. There is a single sign for WM near the bend above Stoke B top lock, 3 boats moored there along with Tea Junction trading boat and butty.

No signed WM at Blisworth(4 boats moored there), Gayton(5) or Bugbrooke(1). Very few moored boats along the whole stretch to Stowe Hill.

Stopped and had a look at the only WM offered on the Ashby, terrible spot with a slim chance of getting near the bank, if you manage to get a plank over then I wouldn't trust pins in the bank as its that wet and muddy..

Good call CRT, worth every penny, although nobody was using it yesterday!

I doubt it. As I understand it, when an employee receives a pension at the end of so many years' service, they get back what they have put in over the years. I think I paid 6% of my salary into the Teachers' Superannuation fund during my career.

Swerving right off topic, that sounds one helluva bargain!

I'd imagine you will spend as long in retirement as you spent working, what with life expectancy approaching 90 these days for people of our age. During which time you'll be getting (i imagine) a 50% income in return for a 6% contribution.

It's no wonder pension schemes everywhere are filled with black holes.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Stopped and had a look at the only WM offered on the Ashby, terrible spot with a slim chance of getting near the bank, if you manage to get a plank over then I wouldn't trust pins in the bank as its that wet and muddy..

Good call CRT, worth every penny, although nobody was using it yesterday!

How about that long stretch of really clean towpath on the Cov by (I think) bridge 17? As I drive over that bridge over the winter I see many boats there for long stretches. Is that available as an official WM? Bit of a long walk to any shops though.

Below Stoke Bruerne are 4 boats, including Chalice on the services mooring. no boats in the long pound. Two traders outside the pub. There is a single sign for WM near the bend above Stoke B top lock, 3 boats moored there along with Tea Junction trading boat and butty.

I stand corrected on what I previously thought was the situation at Stoke Bruerne this year.

I was told in a meeting with CRT last night that, following it being priced in a lower band than last year, quite a few have been sold, although not all for the full 5 month period possible.

The winter moorings are at the Southern end of the "tunnel pound", and, as you suggest include some trading boats. I was kind of surprised to learn that trading boats are allowed to book a winter mooring and trade from it, but CRT confirm that they are, although there is a stipulated maximum number of days in total that they are actually allowed to trade. (How on earth the latter could be actively monitored and enforced eludes me though!).

I don't think there are any winter moorings in the long pound, or below the bottom lock, so I suggest any boats moored there are not paying for WMs. I presume the long pound is relaxed to 14 day stays in the winter months, but you would need to confirm that on the relevant web pages.

How about that long stretch of really clean towpath on the Cov by (I think) bridge 17? As I drive over that bridge over the winter I see many boats there for long stretches. Is that available as an official WM? Bit of a long walk to any shops though.

Gypsy lane?

No WM there, only one I know of this side of atherstone on the cov is down the five and half, back of the longford engine.

Couldn't see your old boat when I stopped at trinity yesterday...

what with life expectancy approaching 90 these days for people of our age. During which time you'll be getting (i imagine) a 50% income in return for a 6% contribution.

Good grief, Mike, you must be hugely younger than I thought....

The latest tables suggest that someone like myself, being within a year of state pension age, can expect a further 18.5 years on average, so "passing" at "only" 83. I'm surprised if being that bit younger than me pushed it up to anywhere very close to 90. (You are a bloke, aren't you?).

If you think the teacher's final salary pension scheme was generous, you would have liked my one working in the private sector. The basic scheme, otherwise about as generous as the teachers one, was non contributory to the employee, making the 6% my wife was paying in as a teacher look highly expensive.

Needless to say schemes like mine are long since ended for new entrants to the company.

(.....and before you assume I am "uber-rich", my scheme id assume you worked there 40 years - I was only there just under 24 years, so not that "uber-rich" at all, actually - particularly after level of recent spend on both boats!!!)

There was no-one there on Sunday when I came through... Griff Lane Bridge between Nuneaton and Beduuf

Edited by matty40s

Gypsy lane?

No WM there, only one I know of this side of atherstone on the cov is down the five and half, back of the longford engine.

Couldn't see your old boat when I stopped at trinity yesterday...

Yes, Gipsy Lane. There must just be a bunch of overstayers then.

Thanks for looking for Wot Ever - I shan't get so depressed next time I visit Trinity now :)

There was no-one there on Sunday when I came through... Griff Lane Bridge between Nuneaton and Beduuf

To be fair I've not seen anyone there this year, but in previous years I've seen a line of boats there for at least a month.

Swerving right off topic, that sounds one helluva bargain!

I'd imagine you will spend as long in retirement as you spent working, what with life expectancy approaching 90 these days for people of our age. During which time you'll be getting (i imagine) a 50% income in return for a 6% contribution.

It's no wonder pension schemes everywhere are filled with black holes.

You have forgotten to add the employers contribution which would otherwise have been part of teachers pay which combined brought it up to about 25 - 26% of pay.

I have no idea what you put into your pension perhaps if you had put 25% aside you might consider it suitable. I am aware of what my wife being self employed paid in.

My point was that at is all down to me. I'm utterly delighted with the way my pension planning has panned out (so far). But didn't do it with a conventional pension plan.

I shouldnt think the maximum days trading has an impact on the boats in Stoke B. when I was there for 2 weeks the place was empty through the week, so they only seem to set out their "stalls" on the weekends.

A fact I would be interested in is what percentage of winter moorings have been sold. Either by assuming a standard boat length or more practicably by meter.

I'm moored just south of Campbell Park in MK at the moment. As always I moved at night so didn't, until this morning, realise it was a designated WM. Well the one sign I saw explained why it was as busy as summer there. Will have a count up when I get home, like the sad wee geek I am!

Must admit I was hoping my favorite MK mooring would be nice and quiet at this time of year!

I'm moored just south of Campbell Park in MK at the moment. As always I moved at night so didn't, until this morning, realise it was a designated WM. Well the one sign I saw explained why it was as busy as summer there. Will have a count up when I get home, like the sad wee geek I am!

Must admit I was hoping my favorite MK mooring would be nice and quiet at this time of year!

The invoice will be in the post....

I will be doing Marsworth to Whilton next week so will look at the Milton Keynes area.

Loads of places to stop on that section you have 3 winter moorings near there, berko, 3 locks and quite a few in mk but ill class mk as one as think there are 3

I gave up and just hid down the aylesbury arm as its very quiet there nice and deep with nice clear water and some good mooring places. Shame there were no winter moorings down there as would be a very good place for them.

Edited by billybobbooth