to short?

nickfox

Featured Posts

Mike, I found this boat, the Little Stinker, that I think is really cute. :)

https://www.apolloduck.com/advert.phtml?id=500179

n

my own personal opinion.

I think you'd be better painting all the rough bits around the stern and other bits that need doing. Tunnel bands etc.

The paint does look tired and aged. A good quality polish will make it look better on reflection.

Martyn

What a lovely little boat :)

Yeah, G3 would probably be better than T-Cut, followed by a really good polish and (very important) wax. Or... G3 followed by varnish - but then you're committed to touching up the varnish every year.

Mike, I found this boat, the Little Stinker, that I think is really cute. smile.png

and as you can see, the paint could use a little freshening up.

n

I can tell you like Little Tinker, as you have nicknamed her already! Pickwell & Arnold still exist, this must have been one of the first boats they built. She has charm.

Some of the paintwork on her is beyond mere polishing - especially, as Martyn (Nightwatch) says, at the blunt end. But a 30 foot boat won't take too long to freshen up.

The interior looks well maintained, but the shabby-chic - O.K., shabby-shabby - state of the exterior paint could be a sign that the outside hasn't been well cared for, so you would really need to get a hull survey, especially as the seller rates her as "fair to middling". The engine is a chug-chug Lister, probably air-cooled and probably the original (though the horsepower quoted does not look right for an SR2), you would need to ascertain engine condition too. Old Listers are famously "bomb-proof" but it is after all 30+ years old.

The price looks almost realistic to me, though I'm sure that the seller has left room for negotiation. I'd guess around £12,500 for that age, size and condition.

I can tell you like Little Tinker, as you have nicknamed her already! Pickwell & Arnold still exist, this must have been one of the first boats they built. She has charm.

Some of the paintwork on her is beyond mere polishing - especially, as Martyn (Nightwatch) says, at the blunt end. But a 30 foot boat won't take too long to freshen up.

The interior looks well maintained, but the shabby-chic - O.K., shabby-shabby - state of the exterior paint could be a sign that the outside hasn't been well cared for, so you would really need to get a hull survey, especially as the seller rates her as "fair to middling". The engine is a chug-chug Lister, probably air-cooled and probably the original (though the horsepower quoted does not look right for an SR2), you would need to ascertain engine condition too. Old Listers are famously "bomb-proof" but it is after all 30+ years old.

The price looks almost realistic to me, though I'm sure that the seller has left room for negotiation. I'd guess around £12,500 for that age, size and condition.

Yes - mine (gen set) is only about 12hp.

Is Mr. Fox aware that generating any electricity with that type of engine is quite a challenge and being air cooled no way to get heat out of it either?

Yes - mine (gen set) is only about 12hp.

Is Mr. Fox aware that generating any electricity with that type of engine is quite a challenge and being air cooled no way to get heat out of it either?

Why don't you ask him. I have explained about air-cooled engines and how most of them don't heat water.

From memory, yes they're rated at either 6.5 or 7 h.p. per cylinder, so 13 or 14 h.p. in all, which is quite sufficient for a boat that size, but the advert says (I think) 30.

Perhaps you could explain about the difficulty of generating elec., though, as I was surprised by this. Our first boat had a similar engine (Petter PH2, 15 h.p.) and that drove two batteries - a starter and a leisure.

Why don't you ask him. I have explained about air-cooled engines and how most of them don't heat water.

From memory, yes they're rated at either 6.5 or 7 h.p. per cylinder, so 13 or 14 h.p. in all, which is quite sufficient for a boat that size, but the advert says (I think) 30.

Perhaps you could explain about the difficulty of generating elec., though, as I was surprised by this. Our first boat had a similar engine (Petter PH2, 15 h.p.) and that drove two batteries - a starter and a leisure.

Well, it was a bit rhetorical. Rather than being my usual doom and gloom, I thought I'd make a general comment and see if he'd pick up it.

Hopefully he's not a troll, but he does seem to jump around a lot - from small, to very small, to something larger...

As with many newcomers to boating, all the attention is focussed on the look of the vessel and not the stuff which makes a difference in the medium term.

So, young Nick, what think ye??

The Lister SR2M (marine version) is rated at 13hp at 2000 rpm according to realdiesels.co.uk. The industrial version (SR2) is 15.5hp at 2500 rpm.

Should be plenty of power for a 30 ft boat and to run a reasonable alternator, but being air cooled doesn't readily give the option for heating water.

Well, it was a bit rhetorical. Rather than being my usual doom and gloom, I thought I'd make a general comment and see if he'd pick up it.

Hopefully he's not a troll, but he does seem to jump around a lot - from small, to very small, to something larger...

As with many newcomers to boating, all the attention is focussed on the look of the vessel and not the stuff which makes a difference in the medium term.

So, young Nick, what think ye??

OldGoat, yes, I am a very young 56 (not 55 as I had earlier posted, oops). :)

Did I know that those engines have a hard time producing heat and electricity. Absolutely Not!

Do I bounce around a lot from subject to subject. Yes, that's me.

But with all the research I am doing and videos I am watching AND most importantly, questions that are being answered here on the forum, I am starting to get a more clear idea of what I'm looking for. Here is the short list of what's really important to me.

1. proper shower, not a wet room

2. pram hood on rear to deal with rain
3. a sideways "restaurant style" booth to sit in, (I can build this myself later and does not have to be in the boat when I buy it)
4. permanent full size bed
5. central heating

3. a sideways "restaurant style" booth to sit in, (I can build this myself later and does not have to be in the boat when I buy it)

5. central heating

If you want a pram hood then you will need a semitrad or cruiser stern. That gives you more sociable outside space, but steering in the rain will be more miserable unless you leave the hood up. With a trad you steer from the step inside the back doors, which you can shut behind you giving your legs the benefit of cabin warmth.

You sideways restaurant booth is called a dinette and usually converts to a double bed.

If you want a separate permanent bed as well you are unlikely to find that in a 30 ft boat.

Thank you David.

The next step really is for me to come up there and have a look at boats. I've been trying to arrange that for the past several days but I am still waiting to set up appointments for a couple of the boats I'm looking at. The ball is just not in my court right now. I'm getting there...

n

Hi Nick. Great that you are deciding what you need. I've yet to butt in so:

- if you are looking to put up a tall pram hood think where you will be boating. On the Aylesbury Arm you wouldn't get under some bridges!!

- Central heating? I've a 50 footer and a multi fuel stove keeps it very warm and runs overnight no problems. Just saying ;)

Edited for stupid auto correct.

Edited by Jak

Hi Nick. Great that you are deciding what you need. I've yet to butt in so:

- if you are looking to put up a tall pram hood

Jak, I would definitely buy one of those pram hoods that fold down. I saw some websites that build them.

Can I put a folding pram hood on the little stinker?

n

edit:

ps. I'm on my way to England.

Edited by nickfox

As you are looking at the budget end of narrowboats have you considered narrow beam GRP cruisers?

Your budget should get you a very nice GRP boat capable of navigating the narrow canals as well as the river system. GRP cruisers tend to, but not always, offer more in the way of accomodation to similar sized narrowboats.

If you want a separate permanent bed as well you are unlikely to find that in a 30 ft boat.

I noted that. At least one, possibly more, of the boats which you're considering doesn't have that facility, so the bed would have to be made up each night - not that that's too much of a chore, it takes only a couple of minutes.

Just had a quick google around for some example GRP boats for you.

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/norman-27-aft-cockpit-boat-for-sale-6637.html

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/viking-32-aft-cabin-boat-for-sale-6547.html

https://bwml.co.uk/brokerage/sm-9325-tuksumduin/

All of which would leave you plenty of budget to add things like solar panels etc. to aid with your power generation.

I noted that. At least one, possibly more, of the boats which you're considering doesn't have that facility, so the bed would have to be made up each night - not that that's too much of a chore, it takes only a couple of minutes.

That was one of the main reasons when we 'went large'.

Putting the bed up/down every day is not much of a problem (for a few days or a week), but when you do it months on end it becomes a major 'issue' and 'nibbles away' at you every night/morning until it becomes infuriating, putting all the bedding away, getting it out, putting it away getting it ...... eventually you think - 'sod it' I'll just lie on the sofa 'as-is'.

A lot like a tiny stone in your shoe, or that electrical socket that is on the 'squint'.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the sofa cushions become your mattress - they are not as comfortable as a 'proper mattress' and they hold more 'moisture' than a proper mattress. They tend to have 'piping' around the edges which gives a 'hard' ridge in the middle of the bed, &, the bed is made up of 'multiple' cushions which can slide about and you can 'fall down the cracks'.

Buy a boat with a proper ventilated bed-base and a proper mattress - even if you have to wait longer to buy it - you will thank me in the end !!!

You can put up with a lot if you have had a good nights (restful) sleep and to do that you need a good bed & mattress.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

You must be a light sleeper, Alan, for such things to disturb your rest.

Making the bed uptakes less time than clearing and laying the fire each day, and lots of us do that.

That said, yes, a fixed bed is preferable.

OldGoat, yes, I am a very young 56 (not 55 as I had earlier posted, oops). smile.png

Ah, I wasn't fishing for your - merely a term of endearment, or perhaps a reflection of your inexperience in matters of narrowboating

Did I know that those engines have a hard time producing heat and electricity. Absolutely Not!

Water cooled engines are a useful source of free hot water which can be used for washing and to some extent heat the boat as well as being relatively easy to increase the power output required to charge batteries

OTOH an air cooled engine's heat output cannot be usefully used for 'much'

Some / most small 'traditional' type engines water or air cooled are 'challengeful' to fit a larger or useful alternator for serious battery charging.

Do I bounce around a lot from subject to subject. Yes, that's me.

OK - a moving target, then. That could show you're adapting to changes in information or conditions, but sure as hell makes it difficult to help you. A static target's much easier!

But with all the research I am doing and videos I am watching AND most importantly, questions that are being answered here on the forum, I am starting to get a more clear idea of what I'm looking for. Here is the short list of what's really important to me.

5. central heating

Now we're getting somewhere..

Firstly you've made no mention of whether you want any electric lighting, modern comforts such as a radio or even a TV. As soon as you want 'proper' central heating - meaning separate 'heat distribution points' = radiators - then you're thinking of some sensible charging arrangements. Hence my concern

No point having a pram hood on your current selected boat - as there's little to cover. A waterproof gaucho's hat would be cheaper.

To make sense of all your point and my additions IMO (and nothing humble about it). The minimum practical size you need is 40 foot, with 45ft a sensible increase for a cruiser stern.

Look at it this way:-

Stern 4ft

Engine room 4 ft

Bow and front deck 5ft

That leaves 27ft for accommodation:-

Kitchen area 5 ft

Dinette 5ft

Bathroom 6ft (luxury)

permanent bedroom plus storage 8 ft

Stove 3ft - but you'll burn the dinette if it's that close

Oh dear that will use up 45ft overall........

Another thing which occurs to me, Nick, is that you say that you work in the software sector. I know little about software, but I assume that you need a computer to do this work - unless you intend to retire when you get your boat. So you'll need adequate leisure batteries to drive your computer. We don't have a computer on the boat, so I can't advise you as to how much they take out of the batteries, but I'm sure that some people on here will know.

Hey Guys, I am in England! I just spent the past couple of hours at the Barbridge Inn and met all sorts of boaters. The place is crawling with them. And they were all very nice people. Today was the first day that I saw narrowboats in person. And here was my big revelation.

THEY ARE A LOT SMALLER THAN I THOUGHT!

The internet seems to make things appear bigger than in real life. I spent an hour with Steve at Tattenhall Marina and he showed me the little stinker and a couple of other boats. He is really a VERY knowledgeable person and he answered tons of narrowboat questions for me.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to go have a look at the Moorhen narrowboat at the Barbridge Marina. Tonight, I met a painter named John who is the person who actually painted Moorhen. Such a small and interesting world.

I'm going to answer a few of the questions that people posted above.

Athy, yes, being able to use my laptop and connect to the internet is absolutely mission critical. I am willing to buy a lesser boat and work on it but when it comes to internet, I will spare no expense to have a solid, top quality connection. I LIVE on the internet and have been doing so since 1989. Yes, it's important to me. :)

OldGoat, yes, I am starting to see that size matters...

Alan, yes, I do want a proper bed...

Cal, I have thought a little about the cruisers but for me, they just don't have the charm of a steel narrowboat and I don't want to live in a piece of plastic.

Anyway, I have put my money where my mouth is and come up here to have a look. I will keep you all posted as to what I decide.

n

Hi Nick. Ok unsurprisingly they are narrow. But going up to 40 to 50' will give a permanent bed and decent living space. I also work in IT and sometimes from the boat instead of my office. I've a 12v 4G wifi hub I'm really happy with and if you are using a laptop you should be able to source a 12v power adaptor easily enough. I am off grid with no 240v shoreline or even an inverter so there are other options as ever :)

Hope you find the boat of your dreams, or one close enough at least...

Edited by Jak