to short?

nickfox

Featured Posts

Hi

I am considering buying this 32 foot boat and I was reading somewhere that short boats are discouraged. So I have two questions. Why are they less favored? And my second question, is there anything about this boat that might send up a red flag to those who know narrowboats?

https://m.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=497139#map

thanks

Nick

Shoreham by Sea?

Is this boat floating in salty water?

Not sure what a Lambordini engine is? Do they mean Lombardini? If so, I think you need to do some research on those.

EDIT:

Only just noticed the price tag! A bit steep for a boat of that length and age!

Edited by alan_fincher

Agree with all the above but to answer the original question

"short" boats are not discouraged - you pay less for a licence and for moorings with a shorter boat. Some marinas have minimum length, but go and find a mooring in another one if that happens.

Some people don't understand shorter boats or perhaps look down on them, it baffles them to see two boats sharing a narrow lock cool.png

Agree with above and does anyone know anything of John White?

It comes down to what you want to do with the boat. For a liveaboard 32' is unlikely to be big enough to accommodate all you want for a comfortable environment as far as most people are concerned. But if you want something cheap to licence and moor for leisure use and you are closer to the camping ethos than the floating cottage one then a short boat may be right for you.

They are easier to handle on your own but likely to have short swims and therefore possibly not swim that well and be tender in the water. However you will be able to do donuts in the canal and turn almost anywhere.

The boat shown is a cruiser stern and that further reduces cabin size.

Ultimately though you will pretty much always find someone quite happily going about their business on a boat that breaks all the commonly held views of what 'works' and what doesn't. It is a personal thing.

JP

Shoreham by Sea?

Is this boat floating in salty water?

Not sure what a Lambordini engine is? Do they mean Lombardini? If so, I think you need to do some research on those.

EDIT:

Only just noticed the price tag! A bit steep for a boat of that length and age!

I assume Lombardini rather than Lamborghini, yes, though if it's really a 2.5 litre it should go like a bomb in a 32 foot boat.

Nick, who "discourages" shorter boats? They have several advantages, as mentioned above, plus you can turn them round in many places where a longer boat could not turn.

This boat appears to pack a lot into its space, have a full inventory, and be in good condition - though you should heed the caveat about the effect of salty water on the hull - get a survey done. As she is in Sussex, you must allow for the cost of pulling her out of the water, the cost of transport by lorry to the canal of your choice, and the cost of launching her.

As also mentioned above, the price is optimistic, though the boat comes from a good builder. It is, I think, a Southern price!

Agree with above and does anyone know anything of John White?

A well respected builder in the Liverpool area. He was certainly trading in the mid-'90s and for a number of years thereafter, though I think he has stopped now. When we were hunting our first boat in 1997 we almost bought a 40' semi-trad of his, we inspected it and it appeared to our novice eyes to be of very good quality, but we couldn't afford it at the time.

Edited by Athy

I assume Lombardini rather than Lamborghini, yes, though if it's really a 2.5 litre it should go like a bomb in a 32 foot boat.

Nick, who "discourages" shorter boats? They have several advantages, as mentioned above, plus you can turn them round in many places where a longer boat could not turn.

This boat appears to pack a lot into its space, have a full inventory, and be in good condition - though you should heed the caveat about the effect of salty water on the hull - get a survey done. As she is in Sussex, you must allow for the cost of pulling her out of the water, the cost of transport by lorry to the canal of your choice, and the cost of launching her.

As also mentioned above, the price is optimistic, though the boat comes from a good builder. It is, I think, a Southern price!

Cheap price for a Boat with a "God" condition!

CT

Edited by Athy

. As she is in Sussex, you must allow for the cost of pulling her out of the water, the cost of transport by lorry to the canal of your choice, and the cost of launching her.

In the 'South East 'Coastal marinas there are an ever increasing number of narrowboats being used as 'low-cost' accommodation (cheaper than a flat in Eastbourne - definitely cheaper than London - an a reasonable commute if needed)

There is a tendency, on this forum, that boats are only considered as being used on the 'muddy ditch' (it may well be down to the forum name !!) but there are other uses for NB's.

It look to be in 'visually' very good condition, appears to be well maintained and well equipped - but - it reads as if the bed must be 'put-down' every night and 'put-away' every morning as it is either the 'dining area seating' or the 'lounge area seating'.

This can get a little 'wearing' if being used as a liveaboard, but for a 'holiday' boat you can put up with it for a couple of weeks.

Maybe if being used as a 'singles liveaboard' the bed could be left down ?

We had a 30 foot, cruiser stern (on the canals) for some time, with the addition of a pram-hood it gave an extra 'room' for sitting out in the evening 'chill', or for using / storing wet clothes, washing etc.

I would suggest that (assuming a good survey) the price is not 'way OTT' and with a little negotiation could be had at a fair price.

Boats are selling it is no longer a 'buyers market' and the days of 'knocking off 20%' are gone.

• Greenie 1

Our first boat was a 31' Mick Sivewrite owl class. Tawny Owl.

We had Tawny for three summers. Loved it. Didn't live onboard though.

I think this is overpriced. My opinion.

Martyn

I thought "Tawny" was a Northern chap called Anthony until I discovered Smirnoff.

I didn't know that you had had one of those. There are a couple of them on those desirable offside moorings below Napton Bottom Lock. One of them you'd perhaps have to be from the Black Country to appreciate its name, as it's called 'Wayfromit Owl'.

We always look out for Owl class boats in the hope that we see dear old Tawny. Alas no.

We sold to a male teacher who moved onboard and moored at Highline. Last thing we saw of Tawny was she was for sale and the interior had been mucked about with to accommodate......accommodation.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Cygnet is also an 'Owl' class boat, but even shorter at 27ft. It was love at first sight in 2005, and I still love her, which is more than can be said for some relationships! I travel around in her for 6 months or more a year, and as has been said, the only downside is that I have to put up and take down the bed daily. The shortness otherwise is only an advantage in all sorts of ways. But it is too small for two people for an extended period.

I wouldn't hesitate simply because of the length, and from the pics it looks very well looked after, but as has been said, if it's been in salt water (and I would hope the correct anodes have been fitted, and of course these would have to be changed if moving from salt to fresh), then a survey is essential.

Edited 'cos I needed a p

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Wow! Thank you all so much for your comments. That was fast.

I've contacted the owner by email and she says the boat was blacked 5 months ago when she bought it. Her reason for selling was that she bought a cruise boat. Not sure why it says "blacked - 2012" in the advertisement. I will ask her that. And also I will ask if it's been moored in salt water all this time...

No matter what I decide to buy, I will have a survey done.

As far as me thinking that small boats were discouraged, I had read a comment by someone in one of the online forums who said that. But it was only ONE person's opinion. I feel much more assured now after reading your comments.

I am 55 years old and good with my hands. I plan on living on the boat full time and traveling the canals full time (not permanently moored). I'm a great lover of peace and quiet and going slowly.

Another question I have. I am a dual national (American/French). Will it be a problem with me living on a boat in the UK, especially with all this brexit stuff going on? I am an EU citizen but not sure what my status is right now...

n

Edited by nickfox

Well the first thing I would do is ask the seller why she is selling after only 5 months! And if you are convinced by the answer, then get an out of the water survey. This won't be cheap, but if you really like the boat it will be worth it. I certainly like the look of it.

Well the first thing I would do is ask the seller why she is selling after only 5 months! And if you are convinced by the answer, then get an out of the water survey. This won't be cheap, but if you really like the boat it will be worth it. I certainly like the look of it.

Atleast with it being brought out of the water for the survey it will be ready to be put on a lorry to head northwards and onto the canals.

I had a 30 footer and it was a lovely little boat BUT I would not have lived on it. I will say this, it does seem to have a lot crammned into it's 32 foot. Mine was a traditional stern narrowboat and, so I had slightly more room for the cabin, even so mine did not have as much as that boat seems to have inside especially in the bathroom area. My Porta Potti had to come out if I wanted to use the shower. Anyway it does look like a nice boat but as everyone says a survey would be essential. I also agree that it is a bit overpriced.

Another question I have. I am a dual national (American/French). Will it be a problem with me living on a boat in the UK, especially with all this brexit stuff going on? I am an EU citizen but not sure what my status is right now...

Does that mean you don't know whether you have right of residence as a US citizen?

As things stand you are perfectly entitled, as an EU citizen, to live and work in the UK as long as you like. That isn't going to change any time soon, and it probably won't change at all given the current rate of "progress".

Does that mean you don't know whether you have right of residence as a US citizen?

As things stand you are perfectly entitled, as an EU citizen, to live and work in the UK as long as you like. That isn't going to change any time soon, and it probably won't change at all given the current rate of "progress".

I believe that the government has said that E.U. nationals who are already resident in Britain will be able to stay in Britain.