Bow Thruster Batteries!

nipper

Featured Posts

I use the BT when reverse berthing in our marina but no good last weekend as it could not break the ice trying to push the bow out to get it straight to reverse into my berth

PS

the only reason I was out in the ice was I needed a pump out and diesel for winter lay up otherwise it would of stayed put in its berth

I can't see how it will help if you switch it off as soon as you stop.

I think you are missing the point that a robust BT charging system will maintain the BT batteries fully charged for the most part whilst engine is running. Any heavy use immediately prior to switching off will quickly be compensated for next time engine is started. Alternatively the engine could be left running for a few minutes after tying up.

If boat is to be laid up a small mains charger left on float will ward off much of the sulphation.

So, let me get this right, the pecking order is (in descending order of righteousness):

1. Those without thruster, ranked as

1a. No thruster and no long shaft

1b. No thruster, long shaft but single handed

1c. No thruster, 1 wife (preferably short)

2. Those with a tube, but no thruster

3. Those with a broken, unusable thruster

4. Those with a thruster but don't use it

5. Those with a thruster but rarely use it

6. Those who use it, but only in blips

7. Those who use it

8. Those who use it in locks

9. Those who have a flag

10. Those who wear a Captain's hat

11. False rivets

So let me get this right; righteousness at the top of the list, self-righteousness at the very bottom.

And do I really lose so many righteousness points when I sticks me Captain's hat on? Seems a bit unfair.

So let me get this right; righteousness at the top of the list, self-righteousness at the very bottom.

And do I really lose so many righteousness points when I sticks me Captain's hat on? Seems a bit unfair.

I don't know really. I'm trying to work it out myself and thought it might help to write it down! The scale is debatable I suppose, but descending righteousness isn't necessarily ascending self-righteousness.

I know it seems unfair that you take such a hit when you put on your Captain's hat but, in truth, you need broad shoulders to wear a real one so you can't expect there to be no consequences. The pirates in particular will have their eye on you as they don't get to look down their noses much - unless a Hudson sails past. Beware: Hudson owners appear to be scorned by everyone and therefore have nothing to lose, so they might be tempted to rake a pirate or someone in a Captain's hat with a broadside from their bow thruster when passing.

Right, I'm off to polish my brasswork. I know that should also be on the list somewhere, but I think it gets a bit complicated when dual standards are included. ;)

For 15 years 5 '0 inch bow thruster pushes town class bows off bank in gale while steerer holds stern of motor and bow of butty off mud

Bow thruster then runs 140 feet and jumps into butty hatches. Repeat, until you get ahead.

That's boating. We now have arthritis strangely, but we are still fit.

My 5' 10" wouldn't even consider it and I wouldn't want to.

For those of us far less experienced than many on the forum it would seriously help me if the technic to get a narrow boat off the canal bank with a strong on bank wind. With my limited experience and an assistant with

limited physical strength and currently-in her words - limited helmsman ability I`ve frequently ended up

"crabbing" along the bank. The only method I`ve had any real success with is bow into the bank, in reverse and when clear move forward. O.K. if there`s plenty of room. So help please.

For those of us far less experienced than many on the forum it would seriously help me if the technic to get a narrow boat off the canal bank with a strong on bank wind. With my limited experience and an assistant with

limited physical strength and currently-in her words - limited helmsman ability I`ve frequently ended up

"crabbing" along the bank. The only method I`ve had any real success with is bow into the bank, in reverse and when clear move forward. O.K. if there`s plenty of room. So help please.

Sometimes you can't. I recall one occasion when the boat got stuck against the bank and after numerous failed attempts by a pretty strong crew of 4, we ended up reversing back a few hundred yards until the boat was in the shelter of some trees, which allowed us to get moving again before the wind hit us.

Sometimes you can't. I recall one occasion when the boat got stuck against the bank and after numerous failed attempts by a pretty strong crew of 4, we ended up reversing back a few hundred yards until the boat was in the shelter of some trees, which allowed us to get moving again before the wind hit us.

I stopped on the Thames for lunch and then had to stay all night, that is with a bowthruster, but it was a tad windy

You can run a line aft from the bow to the bank and use the engine and rudder to push the stern out and then go astern. You need to run the line around a pin or through a mooring ring and back to the boat so that you can release it and recover your line. Or have a crew member ashore and pick him up later! don't tell them this part until the deed is done!

You can run a line aft from the bow to the bank and use the engine and rudder to push the stern out and then go astern. You need to run the line around a pin or through a mooring ring and back to the boat so that you can release it and recover your line. Or have a crew member ashore and pick him up later! don't tell them this part until the deed is done!

I like the last line.

I often spring off which normally involves someone telling me I am still tied up. I think they must watch Tim and Pru. however that wasn't an option on the soft lee bank of the Thames, so I just called it a day and stayed overnight.

Pushing off with the long shaft is more effective than relying on the engine to get the stern away from the bank in a strong onshore wind.

I've had a similar experience to you on the upper Thames. Trapped by a howling onshore gale against a bank of reeds covering several acres and growing in about 4ft depth of water. Couldn't get off them with the engine, water too deep with soft mud for my 12ft long shaft to get any purchase. Just had to stay there until the wind died down at dusk.

If you can put a loop around something on the bank with one of your mooring lines at the stern of the boat, then put engine in reverse, this should bring the bows out but you may still have to give it a bit of helping hand with a long pole.

-Take a plank and a rope.

-Tie the rope securely to the plank (ideally through a hole) and tie the other end of the rope to the boat

-Push the boat off, and use the plank to hold the bows out, and away from the bank

-Get to the stern end and motor off forwards. The plank will tow alongside happily on the rope.

-Retrieve plank at next bridgehole.

So, let me get this right, the pecking order is (in descending order of righteousness):

1. Those without thruster, ranked as

1a. No thruster and no long shaft

1b. No thruster, long shaft but single handed

1c. No thruster, 1 wife (preferably short)

2. Those with a tube, but no thruster

3. Those with a broken, unusable thruster

4. Those with a thruster but don't use it

5. Those with a thruster but rarely use it

6. Those who use it, but only in blips

7. Those who use it

8. Those who use it in locks

9. Those who have a flag

10. Those who wear a Captain's hat

11. False rivets

Oh dear, I fall into 7, 8, 9 and 10 when at work.

The thruster is handy when time is money, ie push the bows round faster when turning, and also to cushion coming alongside etc so the passengers don't fall over.

I haven't ever seen the need on my narrowboat, though.

If you can put a loop around something on the bank with one of your mooring lines at the stern of the boat, then put engine in reverse, this should bring the bows out but you may still have to give it a bit of helping hand with a long pole.

I've tried this and it only works if your stern is hanging out from a pontoon or jetty and only then if the wind is just a breeze. Springing off with a bow line did work.

-Take a plank and a rope.

-Tie the rope securely to the plank (ideally through a hole) and tie the other end of the rope to the boat

-Push the boat off, and use the plank to hold the bows out, and away from the bank

-Get to the stern end and motor off forwards. The plank will tow alongside happily on the rope.

-Retrieve plank at next bridgehole.

Oh dear, I fall into 7, 8, 9 and 10 when at work.

The thruster is handy when time is money, ie push the bows round faster when turning, and also to cushion coming alongside etc so the passengers don't fall over.

I haven't ever seen the need on my narrowboat, though.

None of the things on the list are of any consequence to me, I just tried to get the rules out in the open so the unwary don't get caught out! ;)

Pushing off with the long shaft is more effective than relying on the engine to get the stern away from the bank in a strong onshore wind.

I've had a similar experience to you on the upper Thames. Trapped by a howling onshore gale against a bank of reeds covering several acres and growing in about 4ft depth of water. Couldn't get off them with the engine, water too deep with soft mud for my 12ft long shaft to get any purchase. Just had to stay there until the wind died down at dusk.

Agree on use of long shaft and best/only method for a single hander. You are already at the stern so with boat gently in reverse, pushing initially with long shaft away from bank will have the stern moving out towards centre of canal/river. The wind force on the shallower draught bow will keep it sliding along the bank and thus maintain your diagonal progress in reverse. When stern is well over to windward side forward can be engaged with plenty of rudder to steer bow away from bank.