Bow Thruster Batteries!

nipper

Featured Posts

I did say "... unless the boat is 12V" which it is, so it can't ;-)

If it weren't then the leisures would gently replace the few lost Ah from the thruster batts at no great loss to themselves.

If it was 24 volt how would it charge the Bowthruster batteries or are you saying his solar panels would charge them assuming it was still sunny when he stopped for the night

If it was 24 volt how would it charge the Bowthruster batteries or are you saying his solar panels would charge them assuming it was still sunny when he stopped for the night

I'm saying that if you put two batteries in parallel the voltage will equalise.

So if you put the bowthruster batteries in parallel with the leisure batteries then the few Ah used by the thruster when mooring will be replenished by the leisure bank down the 6mm cables at no great loss to themselves.

Um!

Yes, this is all very well, and I really i appreciate your theories, but, I have a 24volt bow thruster with its 12v battery's, set up 24volts.

If, somehow, one were to connect them up to my service 2v cells hat are connected for 12volts, I really have an idea that there will be sparks and a lot of em!icecream.gificecream.gif

Nipper

Um!

Yes, this is all very well, and I really i appreciate your theories, but, I have a 24volt bow thruster with its 12v battery's, set up 24volts.

If, somehow, one were to connect them up to my service 2v cells hat are connected for 12volts, I really have an idea that there will be sparks and a lot of em!icecream.gificecream.gif

Nipper

You could do it with a Sterling 12v to 24v battery to battery charger.

I happen to have one lying around here if you're interested!

Do you have any idea of the efficiency of them, would they be better than an inverter/charger? I don't have a clue.

Um!

Nipper

Yes, sorry, I was answering DC's hypothetical question. (I'd already said that you couldn't).

Um!

And where would that battery charger get it's power Mike?

The same place as my battery charger gets it's power from??

I have no 12v at that end of the boat! thats why i take my power from the 240v supply!

In anycase would this not suit my needs?

http://sterling-power.com/products/pro-charge-c-24v-20a-ac-to-dc-battery-charger-30-days-warranty?variant=24350473542.

Nipper

Edited by nipper

I can't see how it will help if you switch it off as soon as you stop.

It will do a better job of charging whilst the boat is moving, I still say a small solar panel is needed. Nipper usually does 4 hour days as a loose rule(has to factor in the good ladys shopping jaunts), plenty of daylight left to let it do its work.

It will do a better job of charging whilst the boat is moving, I still say a small solar panel is needed. Nipper usually does 4 hour days as a loose rule(has to factor in the good ladys shopping jaunts), plenty of daylight left to let it do its work.

I'm deeply puzzled why the bow thruster needs such a helluva beating to moor up at the end of each day's cruising.

How much do you use yours Matty? I never use mine as I don't have one.

I'm deeply puzzled why the bow thruster needs such a helluva beating to moor up at the end of each day's cruising.

The technique is: having found a space large enough for at least two boats of similar length, crash into the bank arse-first, see which direction the angle of the bow to the bank ends up being less than 90 degrees, then operate the thruster continuously until the bow strikes the wall with a satisfying thud. A quick bucket of water will cool the thruster motor down, then relax and settle down to watch the swans rebuilding their nest on the far bank. Easy when you know how, eh? ;)

I'm deeply puzzled as to why you would consider (let alone 'need') a BT when mooring alongside the 'bank'.

Now a full length boat in a tight marina berth you may have an excuse..........

I'm deeply puzzled as to why you would consider (let alone 'need') a BT when mooring alongside the 'bank'.

I was stood on Boot Wharf on the Cov one day chatting to the owner when we heard the distinctive whirrr-whirr of a BT. A boat was passing at tickover whilst operating the BT almost constantly left-right-right-left to keep his bow centre channel between the breasted boats on the offside and the boats moored on the towpath. Sure, the gap was smaller than it might have been but still plenty of room for two boats to pass, but he wasn't passing anyone, he had the channel to himself.

The technique is: having found a space large enough for at least two boats of similar length, crash into the bank arse-first, see which direction the angle of the bow to the bank ends up being less than 90 degrees, then operate the thruster continuously until the bow strikes the wall with a satisfying thud. A quick bucket of water will cool the thruster motor down, then relax and settle down to watch the swans rebuilding their nest on the far bank. Easy when you know how, eh? wink.png

correct. doesn't everybody do that?

as an aside: when I had a broad arse 57 ft boat I planned to operate the 12V bowthruster from the starter battery, and installed 2 welding cables each about 60mm2 through the boat, just for the positive side and cheated by grounding the negative to the hull. The theory was that the BT would only be used for a few seconds each time it was needed.

Unfortunately I didn't get a reliable 12V at the bow and the BT contactor chattered and then failed.

I re-rigged the system so the 60mm2 cables were connected to starter + and - , and a small starter battery was installed in the bow. End of problems.

that''s the only time I ever used mine.

I have a 16ft bowthruster, usually its stored on the racks at the front, and I dont have to bother using it as the enjun saves me having to use it.

Are you SURE about that?

I bought a 16ft bow thruster too (£36) and the bastards stitched me up. It was only 15ft when I measured it...

Then it got nicked....

So, let me get this right, the pecking order is (in descending order of righteousness):

1. Those without thruster, ranked as

1a. No thruster and no long shaft

1b. No thruster, long shaft but single handed

1c. No thruster, 1 wife (preferably short)

2. Those with a tube, but no thruster

3. Those with a broken, unusable thruster

4. Those with a thruster but don't use it

5. Those with a thruster but rarely use it

6. Those who use it, but only in blips

7. Those who use it

8. Those who use it in locks

9. Those who have a flag

10. Those who wear a Captain's hat

11. False rivets

• Greenie 1