Engine not starting

Featured Posts

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've tried taking the key out a few times and banging it but no luck. I think I will call someone out tomorrow because I haven't a clue about engines. I've had the boat 7 years now and never had a problem with the starter before

I think the real opportunity here is to learn a little about how it all works, common faults and how to fix them. Tony's generous offer would enable this.

I think the real opportunity here is to learn a little about how it all works, common faults and how to fix them. Tony's generous offer would enable this.

Regrettably its at least two hours from Reading so too far for me and the OP PMd to say she had someone coming to look at it yesterday. I hope that the OP tells us when its fixed and what was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Didn't manage to get it fixed until yesterday. In the meantime I went to stay with family as I had the flu.The engineer said that the fault was the main fuse on the engine. Thanks for all the advice. It may help someone else at some time. Whenever I have boat related problems I do a google search and invariably it brings up pages from CW forum

Moral of the story.

Find out where ALL your fuses are domestic or engine etc, check what type they are, and get at least two replacemennts for each fuse type.

Why at least two fuses? when you have to replace a fuse you still have a spare, so no great urgency to source a new one at exorbitant prices.

Fuses can blow because of a fault, or if they are running close to their limit, they can fatigue, due to heating up and cooling and they can blow for no reason, at any time, usually the most inconvienient time lol.

While you are at it, carry some spare bulbs too, or convert to LED type.

Richard

OK,

The main engine fuse is located behind the starter motor. There is a covered in-line blade fuse holder attached to the wiring loom. Depending on the installation, it may have to be found by feel, as it's often tucked between the starter motor and the engine block.

The fuse holder may not be in good condition : one I did had burnt the contacts quite extensively, and I suspect it was the heat rather than electrical overload which did in the fuse.

If it is the fuse, it's surprisingly difficult to get a new one, as it's 40Amp , which is bigger than most car accessory places stock.

Halfords have the 40amp blade fuses, there are plenty on Ebay too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAG-OF-10-STANDARD-BLADE-FUSE-FUSES-3-5-7-5-10-15-20-25-30-OR-40-AMP-CAR-INLINE-/401063981154?var=&hash=item5d6146b062:m:m5pVR3CzmZHlzszFe8Iw8kg

Edited by Flyboy

Moral of the story.

Find out where ALL your fuses are domestic or engine etc, check what type they are, and get at least two replacemennts for each fuse type.

Why at least two fuses? when you have to replace a fuse you still have a spare, so no great urgency to source a new one at exorbitant prices.

Fuses can blow because of a fault, or if they are running close to their limit, they can fatigue, due to heating up and cooling and they can blow for no reason, at any time, usually the most inconvienient time lol.

While you are at it, carry some spare bulbs too, or convert to LED type.

Richard

Kept me in work for years :)

Good advice to carry spares, stuff always fails at the wrong time.