Hudson Owners repair kit

Chris-B

Featured Posts

Nor me. Let's have a bit of a laugh and watch someone over bid for some cheap washers. Money is going to the RNLI. If it's all to take the piss out of NN I recon he's thick skinned enough to get over it!!

Edited by Jak

If it's all to take the piss out of NN I recon he's thick skinned enough to get over it!!

Quite so. In fact it is positively flattering if a little sad that someone would go to so much trouble over me. I'm expecting a fantastic Christmas present from him too (even though in reality it will probably be a bag of washers!).

I have not perused CWDF for quite some time for many reasons but today dropped by to search some info for a friend. To my amusement i discovered this thread and remembered one of the reasons i enjoyed this forum so much. Chris, thanks for coming up with the ebay concept and then actioning, such a good cause you are to be commended. Nick, you really should have taken the washers from Sarah as you would see that "Washer Josher" Repair Kit Narrowboat, Trad, --- Genuine Fakes are exactly that, The repair kit washers bear no resemble to genuine Hudson washers. Flat Washer ZP M16 x 30mm would be genuine for hull washers not M5 Penny Washers. Flat Washer ZP M22 x 39mm for stem post which would need pressing or hammering to dome would be the washers offered from Sarah. M5 holed washers would definitely end up in the cut, a larger hole is required to weld into giving a larger area of weld and the the myth is dispelled, most of a Hudson rivet is weld, the washer just makes the edge. The trick is sealing the washer edge to stop rust, essentially the washer is floating, welded by its inner edge. If a washer came off it should leave a big gob of weld behind at least and the person whose job it was was probably not the same person who welded your hull sides to the baseplate. If you want to DiY “replica" S.M. Hudson rivets, Bapp was the original supplier if you require authenticity. Myself i have genuine imperial rivets beaten into place by two brothers in the black country many moons ago.

Are you saying they are only genuine after they have been welded? These are from unused stock at Glascote

Richard

Well considering its not a fully formed fake rivet until its been filled full of weld on the hull, are these not part of a genuine fake rivet and not the fully formed genuine fake rivet?

Well considering its not a fully formed fake rivet until its been filled full of weld on the hull, are these not part of a genuine fake rivet and not the fully formed genuine fake rivet?

Yebbut.....

AIUI you take one of these neo-rivets, weld them on and then grind the dome to shape. It's not just the welding of the hole

Richard

These are Genuine Hudson rivets:

15319316_719447788222203_921877623356467

15350601_719447318222250_159632687043434

Correctly bashed at Glascote to make them rivet shaped

Richard

They actually look shaped well enough that the end result out to have been more convincing than it usually was! I'm tempted to think "fake fakes" sometimes ended up on the boats.

The flaw in the e-Bay advert appears to be that whilst it acknowledges that a Hudson owner will in no way get involved in the attachment of a fake rivet, he is assumed to have access to a "man who can". It looks like the owner should also devolve purchasing decisions to the "man who can", as he is unlikely to himself be able to distinguish a "genuine" fake rivet from a "non genuine" one. I hadn't until now realised there were so many potential pitfalls in owning one of these craft!

• Greenie 1