Maid of Oak for Sale....

Featured Posts

Thought something was wrong with this thread, I helped hand tow this boat a couple of weeks ago at Marston junction, he had been told to move but his engine wouldn't start, helped him move down towards charity dock.

He purchased the boat not so long ago, chap from down south but couldn't get the engine running, went past it a couple of weeks and noted he had moved it over to the dock but didn't see a sign stating it was for sale.

He claimed it was water tight on top and very minimal water through the hull which the pump took care of.

Wonder why he is selling it so quick, only owned for weeks IIRC.

Edited by Dave Payne

Thought something was wrong with this thread, I helped hand tow this boat a couple of weeks ago at Marston junction, he had been told to move but his engine wouldn't start, helped him move down towards charity dock.

He purchased the boat not so long ago, chap from down south but couldn't get the engine running, went past it a couple of weeks and noted he had moved it over to the dock but didn't see a sign stating it was for sale.

He claimed it was water tight on top and very minimal water through the hull which the pump took care of.

Wonder why he is selling it so quick, only owned for weeks IIRC.

So, do you think this was the 'Maid Of Oak' which is for sale or the other one?

As far as I am aware they are both for sale (or very recently sold).

One is a lovely boat in need of work...The other is a pig ugly pile of wood.

I have seen photos only of the 2006-built one. I assume that's the "lovely boat".

We passed Charity Dock a couple of times this summer and I don't recall seeing a Maid Of Oak there. As it probably isn't falling to bits, it would have stood out from the boats around it.

I have seen photos only of the 2006-built one. I assume that's the "lovely boat".

Lucky I gave you two guesses.

The one at Charity is a very nice Walton, unusual in that it has a traditional counter stern (most of the others have a transom).

The other one is totally out of proportion...The cabin sides are far too high and the bow is just horrible and boxy.

328330.jpg?1470999440

Actually my muddled brain has just had a brief moment of lucidity and I have remembered that the Walton at Charity is actually called "Heart of Oak" and recently sold on Ebay for a surprisingly large sum (£12k iirc).

s-l1600.jpg

Edited: I found the old listing and it sold for £15,105.

Edited by carlt

Actually my muddled brain has just had a brief moment of lucidity and I have remembered that the Walton at Charity is actually called "Heart of Oak" and recently sold on Ebay for a surprisingly large sum (£12k iirc).

s-l1600.jpg

Edited: I found the old listing and it sold for £15,105.

And there I think you have highlighted a mistake that I think some may be making.

I think that whilst the Jem Bates offering is indeed "Maid of Oak", that there probably isn't a second "Maid of Oak", and what is being referred to in some posts is actually "Heart of Oak".

Whilst I agree it is a pretty boat, I'm struggling to see a £15k boat, but then even at £15k it must surely be better value that "Maid of Oak" at four times that price!

That's the one, heart of oak I helped tow a few weeks ago, really puzzled why the fella is selling so quickly, unless the engine fault is a lot worse than he thought

Bought for £4k, put a dodgy roof on, moved it to Charity and sold it on for £15k.

I can think of 11 thousand reasons for selling it on quickly.

That's the one, heart of oak I helped tow a few weeks ago, really puzzled why the fella is selling so quickly, unless the engine fault is a lot worse than he thought

It actually looks smarter than that now, the varnish has been redone and I am sure it had a cratch cover.

Whilst I agree it is a pretty boat, I'm struggling to see a £15k boat, but then even at £15k it must surely be better value that "Maid of Oak" at four times that price!

If Heart of Oak is worth £15k then Mabel, Forget Me Not, Beech and every other wooden knacker has been severely undervalued (but they haven't).

This is one of those Ebay anomalies that defies reason.

It actually looks smarter than that now, the varnish has been redone and I am sure it had a cratch cover.

I bet the bottoms are still wafer thin though...

Bought for £4k, put a dodgy roof on, moved it to Charity and sold it on for £15k.

I can think of 11 thousand reasons for selling it on quickly.

If this Gumtree advert was genuine, it does look like someone could have made a very quick and very large profit on it....

The bilge pump kicked in as I passed.....

How fast were you going then? :lol:

And there I think you have highlighted a mistake that I think some may be making.

I think that whilst the Jem Bates offering is indeed "Maid of Oak", that there probably isn't a second "Maid of Oak", and what is being referred to in some posts is actually "Heart of Oak".

If the hull is in very sound condition its worth 15k all day long as a wooden boat as a semi good hull will cost you that to get it from a semi good to very sound hull. Few bottoms planks corking blacking if your not doing work will soon cost you that.

Im not saying it has a good hull though as i havent seen in person this boat.

But as said if hull is fairly sound its in better condition than most wooden boats for sale at the mo not all but most.

Edited by billybobbooth