Stove collar installation angle

Maccadam

Featured Posts

Hi Canal World,

Yet another question about heating, this time the collar for the flue pipe. Installing in a widebeam at the side, Its in a corner next to an internal bulkhead.

The roof angle is, as some might expect, different from the angle built-in to the collar. So where the flue attach's to inside collar, and chimney outside, it doesn't provide an upright/vertical fitting for the flue.

Is it acceptable to make something for the collar on the outside roof off the boat (packing) causing the collar to be upright, it would mean raising one side apprx 26mm (guessing there may not be enough tube to attach flue to on the inside though)

Or is it ok for the chimney to be at a slight angle, and of course the flue to be at an angle...it would be square to the collar! I can cut and weld the flue so it meets the collar square but someone suggested you will need to install 2 angles on the flue...but I can happily do it with one angle.

So is one angle in the flue a concern, or is it a concern that the chimney would sit on the roof collar at a slight angle, apprx 7 degrees so not far from upright.

Cheers

David Mc

Hi Canal World,

Yet another question about heating, this time the collar for the flue pipe. Installing in a widebeam at the side, Its in a corner next to an internal bulkhead.

The roof angle is, as some might expect, different from the angle built-in to the collar. So where the flue attach's to inside collar, and chimney outside, it doesn't provide an upright/vertical fitting for the flue.

Is it acceptable to make something for the collar on the outside roof off the boat (packing) causing the collar to be upright, it would mean raising one side apprx 26mm (guessing there may not be enough tube to attach flue to on the inside though)

Or is it ok for the chimney to be at a slight angle, and of course the flue to be at an angle...it would be square to the collar! I can cut and weld the flue so it meets the collar square but someone suggested you will need to install 2 angles on the flue...but I can happily do it with one angle.

So is one angle in the flue a concern, or is it a concern that the chimney would sit on the roof collar at a slight angle, apprx 7 degrees so not far from upright.

Cheers

David Mc

yes, my boat had this arrangement when i first got it. It was a wedge of wood painted with some very thick paint. Make sure the flue is long enough so the inner skin of the chimney fits into it.

Also yes, i have this arrangement now. the chimney is at a slight angle but not so's it causes a problem

eta: as you obviously understand the important thing is that the flue is perpendicular to and bang in the middle (looking from above) of the collar so that the inner skin of your chimney fits snug in it

Edited by LoneWolf

Thank you LoneWolf.

Yes It will be perpendicular in relation to the collar angle, so the angle of the collar will be the same as the angle of the flue and the required rope/fire mastic will be equal around the circumference between the collar and flue (sorry haven't got this far yet but guess that's what you have to do).

I think this may be harder to achieve than packing the collar on the roof, but maybe a better way to go?!

Cheers

David Mc

Make sure that the flue pipe is not touching the roof collar metal to metal where it passes through it and has at least a 1/2'' gap all around, otherwise heat will be conducted to the steel roof, possibly scorching the paint and especially if you place a wooden block under the collar. Angled collars are available, but if your roof has a steeply curved roof,like ''Liverpool boats roofs'' then it would still need some angled packing under the collar to get the flue and chimney vertical.

When I first fitted my roof collar quite a few years ago wooden angled blocks were available to counter the angle of the roof. In fact, I made mine from a block of mahogany (well painted and bedded on sealant PDNK). It's served perfectly ever since.

Frank