Villager Puffin glass has cracked

Featured Posts

You might have trouble undoing the securing screws or bolts. You might shear them in which case you would need to take the door to an engineering firm to drill out and retap. If the glass is still in place and not loose you could wait until spring. You could purchase a new door complete with glass in the meanwhile.

See also this current thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=88713&hl=

Edited by mross

Our Villager Puffin had bolts that were seized solid and needed to be drilled and tapped to replace the glass

After we did this we have spoken to a lot of people who have the same situation with this stove so, as has already been said, if the glass is just cracked and not loose at all I would leave well alone until you can let the stove go cold for a few days and get a local engineering place or boat yard to have a look at it for you. In the mean time just order a new glass ready - and as you will probably be getting it posted get some new rope seals for the door while you are at it as it is nice to do a full refurb on the door while you are at at

If it is cracked, and you decide to carry on using it in the meanwhile, make sure all 4 retaining studs, nuts and clips are still in place and functioning. Sometimes one of these will already have "gone missing", and it is maybe this that helps cause the glass to crack.

Our Puffin did similar a few years ago. The studs sheared off so /i just drilled thru with battery drill and used nuts and bolts leaving head to outside. Not too bad once heads are painted with stove black. I know others have had studs welded on, only to break again.

Our Puffin did similar a few years ago. The studs sheared off so /i just drilled thru with battery drill and used nuts and bolts leaving head to outside. Not too bad once heads are painted with stove black. I know others have had studs welded on, only to break again.

Exactly this.

Spent a lot of money sending door to Villager to have the studs put back, (bu a technique I thing they called "buzzing" or similar?).

Didn't last long before they stared coming off again.

Drilled 4 holes right through, and used stainless bolts and nuts successfully for the rest of our ownership of the boat. Didn't stop the glass cracking from time to time though!

Exactly this.

Spent a lot of money sending door to Villager to have the studs put back, (bu a technique I thing they called "buzzing" or similar?).

Didn't last long before they stared coming off again.

Drilled 4 holes right through, and used stainless bolts and nuts successfully for the rest of our ownership of the boat. Didn't stop the glass cracking from time to time though!

This is exactly what I did when the glass on my puffin broke. The door metal was fairly easy to drill. As said it didn't stop the glass from breaking if I got the wood too close to the glass and burnt at a high temperature. That happened during that really cold spell we had a couple or so years ago. Make sure you getthe right glass and fixing kit because I think the door design has changed since I had my Puffin.

I used 6mm ss coach bolts on ours, used a Dremel to square off the holes which allowed the bolt's square shoulders to fit in and prevent it turning, (bolt head looks much neater than a hexagonal one) ss penny washer to hold edge of glass and a ss nut to hold glass in and prevent any corrosion.

Also bought a piece of fireglass cut to size at a glass merchant, much cheaper than the official one, in fact as it was so much cheaper I bought two or three as spares. Also I eventually bought a second door as a standby for when the glass needed replacing, takes a minute to lift off and replace with the standby one then take your time refurbishing the damaged one.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I have typed this bloomin' reply three times now.

Thank you everyone!

I'm going to take a photo of the offending glass when Im back from work.

What tools will I need to take the door off? Is it not possible to replace the glass with the door intact?

Is there maybe a how to guide? I have Googled but not found anything!

I have typed this bloomin' reply three times now.

Thank you everyone!

I'm going to take a photo of the offending glass when Im back from work.

What tools will I need to take the door off? Is it not possible to replace the glass with the door intact?

Is there maybe a how to guide? I have Googled but not found anything!

My door just lifted off the hinges. You could do it in situ but it's far far easier with the door off. Again the design of the Villager Puffin has changed over the years so you may not be able to lift the door off on your model although why the people who make the puffin would wanrt to do it any other way I wouldn't know.

Just thought my door had drop in hinge pins that weren't fixed. they lifted out and then the door came off.

Edited by pete.i

Yes it lifts off though 'lifting' is a simplification as it may need some persuasion by tapping it upwards with a hammer on the bottom edge while swivelling back and forth. Likewise replacing, if it's a replacement door it might not be a perfect replacement, it may need some persuasion mainly by swivelling it back and forth while pushing down.

Edited by nb Innisfree

• 2 weeks later...

Right, replacement glass has arrived. Clips arrive tomorrow hopefully. could anyone provide a step by step guide of what to do?

I don't even know what tools I need and as it now looks like I'm going to be a single boater i need to get to grips with the practical stuff!

Right, replacement glass has arrived. Clips arrive tomorrow hopefully. could anyone provide a step by step guide of what to do?

I don't even know what tools I need and as it now looks like I'm going to be a single boater i need to get to grips with the practical stuff!

Working from memory now:

Lift the door off, it will need some waggling, and possibly WD40 on the hinges.

Soak the nuts holding clips on with WD40.

Try to undo the nuts, if you are lucky they may come off.

If you are unlucky like me, the studs may part company from the door.

If this happens you will need to drill through the metal door and use bolts 9sounds drastic but easy with battery drill.)

Check all rope seals are OK

Bolt new glass in place either on existing studs or new bolts.

Replace door.

Managed to get three clips off last one doesn't fit any of my wrench (is that the right word?) attachments so need to get an adjustable spanner but hopefully fire will be in place tomorrow!

Sounds like the fourth nut may be damaged slightly? Funny it would be an odd size. Adjustable should move it if you take your time.