Cold in winter

Slimmyman

Featured Posts

I had the exact same problem until a couple of weeks ago. My mistake was not enough coal when turning it down to "sleep". I now get it to a properly glowing,layer, then add 2-3 layers of coal and shut the air off almost completely. It then burns through from the bottom to top very slowly. After 12h away there is usually still a bit of black at the top with red underneath. Temperature not hot but good enough to boost to nice and warm within 15 minutes by opening up the air again. Excel works very well for me.

Edited by Lizzy

Can this be the same stove-challenged Lizzy of not so long ago? Sounds like you've nailed it pretty damned quick, and now you're helping others too. Way to go, girl! :)

Good to see.

Experience is a great thing to have. You only get experience from.............experience.

Thanks :D Well I got so much good advice here already, I want to give some back if I can. And I can really empathise with the OP! Especially as I've been without stove again last week when I broke the darn glass.

Always surprised that everyone seems to go for keeping the fire lit 24/7 if they're not on board. I'm no scrooge but don' t see the point in heating when I'm not there. The cats have plenty of fur and each other to keep them warm.

Keeping my coat on for an hour until the newly laid fire gets warm works for me. A 20kg bag easily lasts over a week. If I don't get in until late I don't bother with a fire either - but I do cheat with hot water bottle or electric blanket.

It must be horrible getting up in the morning!

If that was in response to me, no it isn't too bad. I have a dressing gown lay over the duvet so ready to cover up before I escape from bed. And of course slippers before I touch the floor. Yes, I got rid of carpets and have a wood floor.

That said, I've never really felt the cold. And if I have visitors, I do make sure to light a fire and keep them warm!

I keep my fire in 24hrs but it is more to do with keeping the boat free of condensation

During this current mild weather I let the stove go out and have been using a couple of oil filled electric heaters as they are more controllable. Having recently bought a dehumidifier and gauge I'm amazed how the humidity in the boat has shot up since I changed from the stove to heaters.

Our hopper windows are always open and we regularly use an AGA multifuel stove. I've never seen any condensation in the boat.

We don't have any condensation on ours but it is surprising how much the humidity changes in the cabin. With the diesel heating on it drops dramatically.

Filled the stove up last night about 12, still in now.

I cant bear to wake up cold, makes the first hour miserable, just enough heat to take the chill off in the morning works for me, then if I'm out for the day I jyst empty half the ash pan and fill with coal and wind the bottom vent in, when I get back its still warm, chuck a log on and open the vent up for heat...

I've found that when it was really cold, I needed the stove to be well lit during the day - two days on a 25kg bag of Excel. The same bag lasts me three days if it's mild but I still keep the fire in 24-7.

My last stove (in a flat) I used free wood - palets and the like - so this feels quite expensive, but aside from the not being too cold side of things, I find the stove incredibly enjoyable. Indeed, the very best thing about the winter is having a real fire going.

Condensation is another thing - on a cold day, even with the stove in over nite, I do get condensation on the windows. Remember that a roaring stove does cause a decent thru put of air (in from your bow/stern door vents then up the flu) taking with it a lot of excess moisture.

I just wish the coal went a tad further....

I've found that when it was really cold, I needed the stove to be well lit during the day - two days on a 25kg bag of Excel. The same bag lasts me three days if it's mild but I still keep the fire in 24-7.

Which stove do you have? do you let it run with air wash and primary controls full open? I find I can really slow down the burn rate and stay warm. I'm not a liveaboard but I did spend a week or two onboard last winter when the marina froze over. Mine is an AGA Little Wenlock Classic. I think a big sack of coal would last 4 days or more.

I've got a Morso Squirell complete with the proper Morso flu kit. I find that the draw isn't particularly strong on it, not with coal anyway, so airwash is permanently open, and if I want a good strong burn then the lower air vent open too. If I'm getting it going again then I need to open the ash draw for a bit.

I know they burn more efficiently closed down but then the heat output is just too low.

I do tend to put smaller loads of coal in though - maybe I should stuff it full and have a larger mass of lower burn for more heat. Still experimenting.

I should have said - back in the flat I only used the wood burning stove in the evenings. My ultimate goal is to do the same on the boat and to have diesel central heating for flicking on in the mornings and keeping the daytime chill off.

I've got a Morso Squirell complete with the proper Morso flu kit. I find that the draw isn't particularly strong on it, not with coal anyway, so airwash is permanently open, and if I want a good strong burn then the lower air vent open too. If I'm getting it going again then I need to open the ash draw for a bit.

I know they burn more efficiently closed down but then the heat output is just too low.

I do tend to put smaller loads of coal in though - maybe I should stuff it full and have a larger mass of lower burn for more heat. Still experimenting.

I should have said - back in the flat I only used the wood burning stove in the evenings. My ultimate goal is to do the same on the boat and to have diesel central heating for flicking on in the mornings and keeping the daytime chill off.

Does this give extra heat when you catch the flu? biggrin.png

How tall is your chimney?

The one that came with my boat was only 12" and the draw wasn't great. This year I bought a 24" Smokey Joe chimney and it made a big difference.

T.