Tick-over speed

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've been living aboard for 18 years and I don't agree with the school of thought that says passing boats should slow to tickover so that the occupants of moored boats don't feel their boats move. Slow down of course, but for some ditch dwellers it will never be slow enough and all this talk of broken crockery and flying teapots is for the most part simply myth. If boaters can't handle a bit of movement there must be alternative pasttimes or types of accommodation that would suit them better. 

Boats move, that's what they do. I lived on a garden end mooring on the Thames for 3 years and passenger boats would go past at 8kts without slowing down at all. It's a wide deep river but once you've experienced that you won't worry about a bit of movement as boats go past on the canal.

I think there is an etiquette on the canals which suggests that you slow to tickover for moored boats. As a consequence, it seems that moored boats have a reasonable expectation of this. If someone goes past fast enough to rock your boat significantly, then they probably haven't slowed down enough.

My tolerance for movement is high. I have been boating all of my life, and quite like it "a bit rough" :) As a general rule I tend to think that if the water leaving a passing boats stern is churned up, rather than a bit rippled, and they rock my boat significantly they are going too fast. On rare occasions I'll shout something through the window. Most times it either doesn't matter, or I cant be bothered. Those who do it generally know they are doing it and just don't care.

Some boats do go past moored boats at too fast a speed. There is a point where they ought to be told.

• Greenie 2

There are definitely some people who shout at you to slow down regardless of how slowly you are travelling. For me the classic example was one day when I started my engine, untied the ropes, and pushed sideways out from the bank; before I could put the boat into forward gear, somebody leaned of the side hatch of the boat that was moored directly in front of me and started shouting and yelling at me that I was going too fast!

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2
  • Horror 1

51 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Some people wouldnt fare well on the Northern waterways with commercial boat traffic.

Even when they pass slowly you know for sure they are passing.

Too true. They'll spill your cocktail even at tickover!

P9030246.JPG.399d6eedbf976a43766fe504e3998982.JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hannah Jones McVey said:

Yes I am sorry. I was googling around tickover after being abused this morning by a passing boater (I'm not new to this having lived aboard for the best part of a decade but post lockdown river closure the poor behaviour of boaters feels a bit fresh) and I found this and didnt notice the date. I wish I hadnt as the charming person above you didnt need the excuse for that sort of voice. 

Strangely I usually manage to keep from getting my knickers in a twist over 'trains, cars and seagulls' , god forbid I could have had a fair point. 

Apologies for opening a can of worms.

Hi Hannah,

No need to apologise for inadvertently opening a can of worms - sometimes you can't tell what's in the tin until the bloomin' top is off.  I guess now you've a better idea whats in this particular old can...! It'd be good if we could all agree that some people really do pass too quickly and some people really are over sensitive - then we could simply chunter about the few muppets and feel better without others getting bent out of shape.  :rolleyes:

My post was aimed at heading off the usual s#it storm rather than making you feel bad - I apologise if it had that effect.  :)

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I think there is an etiquette on the canals which suggests that you slow to tickover for moored boats. As a consequence, it seems that moored boats have a reasonable expectation of this. If someone goes past fast enough to rock your boat significantly, then they probably haven't slowed down enough.

My tolerance for movement is high. I have been boating all of my life, and quite like it "a bit rough" :) As a general rule I tend to think that if the water leaving a passing boats stern is churned up, rather than a bit rippled, and they rock my boat significantly they are going too fast. On rare occasions I'll shout something through the window. Most times it either doesn't matter, or I cant be bothered. Those who do it generally know they are doing it and just don't care.

Some boats do go past moored boats at too fast a speed. There is a point where they ought to be told.

I agree, except that what constitutes significant rocking is subjective and some people on the canals are far too precious about a bit of movement. 

Some boaters do complain vexatiously and there is a point where they need to be told to shut up!

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

There are definitely some people who shout at you to slow down regardless of how slowly you are travelling. For me the classic example was one day when I started my engine, untied the ropes, and pushed sideways out from the bank; before I could put the boat into forward gear, somebody leaned of the side hatch of the boat that was moored directly in front of me and started shouting and yelling at me that I was going too fast!

Exactly. A vexatious complainant.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I agree, except that what constitutes significant rocking is subjective and some people on the canals are far too precious about a bit of movement. 

It cant be anything but subjective, but there can be no doubt that some people race along the canals with no concern for etiquette, or the occupants of moored boats... and they ought to be told.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Some boaters do complain vexatiously and there is a point where they need to be told to shut up!

Not disagreeing.

12 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Some people wouldnt fare well on the Northern waterways with commercial boat traffic.

Even when they pass slowly you know for sure they are passing.

It's not just up north. We got overtaken by this (on our starboard side)  a couple of days ago (tideway tunnel spoil on board)

dsc_9351.jpg

Some people seem to have their lives ruined by boats passing them too fast, constantly complain about it, go to the trouble of putting signs up about it etc. Whereas I can’t remember the last time a boat passed us unreasonably fast such that we were annoyed and might have wanted to shout “slow down”. I suppose it’s probably happened a few times in the 40+ years I’ve been boating.

I wonder why that is? Perhaps because we are super lucky, our god is looking out for us? Or could it be that we tie our boat up properly?

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

It's not just up north. We got overtaken by this (on our starboard side)  a couple of days ago (tideway tunnel spoil on board)

About 8 years ago a police RIB overtook me on the Thames tideway just as I was approaching Tower Bridge. It must have been doing 30 kts and passed about 6ft away from my starboard side, violently knocking my widebeam to port towards the path of an oncoming passenger boat. Unfortunately they were moving so fast I had no time to shout "slow down" at them. ? I actually think they did it deliberately to shake me up.

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Some people seem to have their lives ruined by boats passing them too fast, constantly complain about it, go to the trouble of putting signs up about it etc. Whereas I can’t remember the last time a boat passed us unreasonably fast such that we were annoyed and might have wanted to shout “slow down”. I suppose it’s probably happened a few times in the 40+ years I’ve been boating.

I wonder why that is? Perhaps because we are super lucky, our god is looking out for us? Or could it be that we tie our boat up properly?

Probably and also that after all this time you've found your sea legs and understand that your boat will move a bit when other boats pass.

Edited by blackrose

22 minutes ago, blackrose said:

About 8 years ago a police RIB overtook me on the Thames tideway just as I was approaching Tower Bridge. It must have been doing 30 kts and passed about 6ft away from my starboard side, violently knocking my widebeam to port towards the path of an oncoming passenger boat. Unfortunately they were moving so fast I had no time to shout "slow down" at them. ? I actually think they did it deliberately to shake me up.

Probably and also that after all this time you've found your sea legs and understand that your boat will move a bit when other boats pass.

That was very naughty of them. They should have overtaken on your port side. ColRegs.

When we lived on the river there were issues with cruisers going too fast. Local regs put a top speed of 6knots. Some would come down the river at closer to 20. We did have a laugh when one bunch of drunken yahoos did that and hit a mudbank, stripping their prop. (They lost the boat, insurance refused to pay out and they earned a lifetime ban from CRT waterways.)

The wash kicked up by some of them was similar in size to the pic put up by Scholar Gypsy - when a boat passes 3ft away kicking up that much wash, no roping stops your boat from flying about. 

26 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Not just police RIBs the water experience RIBs go round you in circles to show their happy passengers the effect of their wake hitting all sides of your boat. I have heard the PLA patrol boats having a 'word' with them over the radio.

36 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I didn't even have time to adjust the settings on my camera, to get a sharper photo....

https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2020/06/03/south-dock-to-millwall-take-2/

dsc_9336.jpg

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Alastair said:

That was very naughty of them. They should have overtaken on your port side. ColRegs.

When we lived on the river there were issues with cruisers going too fast. Local regs put a top speed of 6knots. Some would come down the river at closer to 20. We did have a laugh when one bunch of drunken yahoos did that and hit a mudbank, stripping their prop. (They lost the boat, insurance refused to pay out and they earned a lifetime ban from CRT waterways.)

The wash kicked up by some of them was similar in size to the pic put up by Scholar Gypsy - when a boat passes 3ft away kicking up that much wash, no roping stops your boat from flying about. 

Unlikely to be 20 knots. That's about as uneconomical a speed as you can run a planing boat :rolleyes:

When you get used to being passed like this while moored up:

DSCF5250.jpg

There is nothing on a canal that causes you upset :cheers:

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

It cant be anything but subjective, but there can be no doubt that some people race along the canals with no concern for etiquette, or the occupants of moored boats... and they ought to be told.

Not disagreeing.

I use to moor near Anderton and were often in that area, I noticed that boats with Bridgewater licenses often use to pass at a fair speed, I put this down to the fact that they would normally be on much wider and deeper water where they didnt need to slow so much passing boats. When I boated on the Bridgewater I slowed but not as much as I would have on the CRT canals and people seemed happy. This is no was a critissum of Bridgewater boaters, you will find the same with boats coming off rivers.

I don't really understand why so many peope are so melodramatic about the speed of passing boats. I've lived aboard for a few years and can count the number of times someone has passed at inappropriate speed on one hand. Even then there's nothing more dramatic than a bit of movement and maybe a bit of thudding against the bank, and it doesn't need any response greater than muttering bad words under my breath .

With the exception of being moored on questionable pins in questionable ground, where there's an obvious risk of them pulling out and the boat ending up adrift, I don't see the problem. Do people forget that they live on a boat, and that boats aren't fixed, static objects?

For what it's worth, the speed at which I pass boats at is determined by the width and depth of the canal, their mooring and whether there might be someone aboard  or whether it's cleatly padlocked up. Dodgy-looking pins on a shallow an narrow canal? I'll crawl past. Padlocked boat on chains, capably moored without yards of slack in the lines on the other side of a deep and wide canal? I'll separate laterally as much as possible and not slow at all. Most situations are a compromise, and I most often go past at what I reckon to be about 2mph - not tickover, but a definite slowing. I also look to see what effect I'm actualy having on the boat - usually very little unless it's been moored by a moron. I've yet to have any complaints.

Coming past me? I really, honestly don't mind if you do the same.

• Greenie 1

tehmarks, you were lucky (fortunate?).

In summer, we would get an 'inappropriate speeder' several times a day, Sat and Sun.

I'd call it inappropriate when the wash is so great, it passes *over* your pontoon, and your narrowboat rears up so much you can see daylight under the hull. 

24 minutes ago, Alastair said:

tehmarks, you were lucky (fortunate?).

In summer, we would get an 'inappropriate speeder' several times a day, Sat and Sun.

I'd call it inappropriate when the wash is so great, it passes *over* your pontoon, and your narrowboat rears up so much you can see daylight under the hull. 

Like this? There is a similar video featuring a surprised NB skipper, but I can't find it today.

I’ve been ‘advised’ to slow down in a number occasions. Some justified, as I was deep in my day dreams, other times completely unjustified. I won’t say how I respond. In short, response is a number of different ways. I can only recall one occasion when I’ve actually tried to educate a passing boats coxswain about speed. I have a tendency  to give the penetrating ‘stare’ more often than not. I think/believe Nightwatch is always securely moored and tied. Always use a spring.

On 09/06/2020 at 11:46, Scholar Gypsy said:

Like this? There is a similar video featuring a surprised NB skipper, but I can't find it today.

Worse, actually. There were times I was concerned the nb would come down on the pontoon. 

• Greenie 1