Tick-over speed

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Of course if having slowed down to tick over to pass a moored boat you still receive a bellowing of 'slow down' from the side hatch, you could simply respond ' I have, I'm not in a rush would you like me to stop and show you how to moor your boat correctly'.

• Greenie 2

Of course if having slowed down to tick over to pass a moored boat you still receive a bellowing of 'slow down' from the side hatch, you could simply respond ' I have, I'm not in a rush would you like me to stop and show you how to moor your boat correctly'.

Brilliant, I must remember that :) Have a greenie

Forgetting the speed you are passing boats I think that 200rpm tickover speed between cold and hot seems a bit high, an increase of 25%

I'm not sure it's hot vs cold, more like low batteries vs charged batteries. With our 175 alternator and torquey 2 litre engine there's about 100rpm difference (in part, because the belt pulley ratio is such that the alternator can produce nearly full output at idle). The smaller beta engine has only a bit less power but a lot less torque, and if it's got similar pulley ratios to ours I can see that the full alternator output at idle will drop the rpm more than ours so 200rpm doesn't seem unbelievable.

I'm not sure it's hot vs cold, more like low batteries vs charged batteries. With our 175 alternator and torquey 2 litre engine there's about 100rpm difference (in part, because the belt pulley ratio is such that the alternator can produce nearly full output at idle). The smaller beta engine has only a bit less power but a lot less torque, and if it's got similar pulley ratios to ours I can see that the full alternator output at idle will drop the rpm more than ours so 200rpm doesn't seem unbelievable.

It would be interesting to know if that was the case.

On my Kelvin the oil in the governor warms up and tickover rises from about 160rpm at the start of cruising to a whopping 220rpm after three hours or so.

And that is not due to the alternator load. I don't set off until that has subsided.

This passing boats at "tickover" is so much nonsense, there's too many variables. I find those stickers some folk have on their boats as irritating as the "Baby on Board" signs in cars.

I also find the 'Pass at Tickover' signs unnecessary and I used to think the same about 'Baby on Board' signs until I was told of the true purpose of them being a notification to emergency services in the event of an accident.

I have heard a story that it stemmed from an accident where a dead baby was not found by the emergency services because they didn't realise it was in the car but I believe this is an urban myth. Naturally this mythical incident occurred in the good 'ole US of A.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

I've had "Slow Down, Don't you f*****g use tickover" while I was in neutral (and had been for about 200 yards)

about 30 seconds later they popped their head out (I assume out to shout again) and realised that even though my engine was running at about 1500 rpm I was not moving and was in fact head down under the engine hatch trying to reconnect the throttle linkage

• Happy 1

On shallow bits of canal and especially where the edge is shallow virtually any speed will move a moored boat. It really is the responsibility of the moored boat owner to find a reasonable place to tie and then to tie the thing up properly, then just live with it, its water, boats bob about.

• 3 years later...

Goodness me there are some nasty comments on here. If a live aboard asks you to go slow they are not doing so to ruin your fun. Keep in mind they probably see anything up to 100 boats a day come by and usually have better things do do than yelling at passing boats. Regardless of your opinions on their boat tieing etc you were worth the effort whilst others weren't. Just try not to let your pride be hurt and slow to tickover for a few seconds...it could mean a newborn not bring woken from their nap, a mug not being broken or someone not having to summon up the courage to call out in fear of some of the responses above. 

• Greenie 1

On 02/12/2016 at 21:37, Captain Pegg said:

I also find the 'Pass at Tickover' signs unnecessary and I used to think the same about 'Baby on Board' signs until I was told of the true purpose of them being a notification to emergency services in the event of an accident.

I have heard a story that it stemmed from an accident where a dead baby was not found by the emergency services because they didn't realise it was in the car but I believe this is an urban myth. Naturally this mythical incident occurred in the good 'ole US of A.

JP

Poorly thought through, even if it were true.

So emergency services are to waste time and their lives looking for a non present baby because the driver has left the sign in the car?

Nobody has ever thought, "Ooh look that car has a baby on board, and there was me about to ram it at great speed."  I've always regarded those signs as being in the realm of soppy people who think I'm going to be impressed they've managed to successfully do the easiest and most commonly practised activity since amoeba split in two.

You may regard me as one who has never been overly impressed with Sh1t Stained Bundles from Heaven.  I have cause, I went to school with them for about eleven years, and have you ever watched children's tv? It's only fit for kids!

46 minutes ago, Hannah Jones McVey said:

Goodness me there are some nasty comments on here. If a live aboard asks you to go slow they are not doing so to ruin your fun. Keep in mind they probably see anything up to 100 boats a day come by and usually have better things do do than yelling at passing boats. Regardless of your opinions on their boat tieing etc you were worth the effort whilst others weren't. Just try not to let your pride be hurt and slow to tickover for a few seconds...it could mean a newborn not bring woken from their nap, a mug not being broken or someone not having to summon up the courage to call out in fear of some of the responses above. 

Live aboards are no more entitled than any other licensed boat owner. Anyhow I usually find they are the ones that have tied up properly and understand about tying a spring, due to learning fast.

Nobody should be navigating a boat on tick over as it counters any effect at the rudder.  And slowing down is a subjective description. 

I'd have thought by now most of us have worked out that how much disturbance a boat makes in passing is more down to the: -

... underwater profile of the hull

... size of the propeller

... draught

... canal profile 

... cross winds

... boats coming the other way

... safety considerations at the time

Truth of the matter is that most who yell "Slow Down" are merely reacting to the sound of the engine.

As for a newborn not bring woken (sic) I can only assume you spend a lot of your time running around shouting at trains, traffic, seagulls etc.

Crockery is easy, don't leave any on a flat borderless surface, it's a boat, use fiddle rails.

Your remark  "Goodness me there are some nasty comments on here." I whole heartedly agree with you, and also think it can lead rapidly to much worse repercussions such as escalating to aggression and/or affecting stress and anxiety. 

On 03/12/2016 at 01:09, Jess-- said:

I've had "Slow Down, Don't you f*****g use tickover" while I was in neutral (and had been for about 200 yards)

about 30 seconds later they popped their head out (I assume out to shout again) and realised that even though my engine was running at about 1500 rpm I was not moving and was in fact head down under the engine hatch trying to reconnect the throttle linkage

Poor Jess what an awful thing to endure, but it's nice of you to think of him.

Oh ... and by the way, welcome to the forum.

This thread died 3.5 years ago.  Wouldn't it be better to consider it spent rather than reopen old wounds?  If passing moored boats is anyone's hobby horse, a fresh opportunity to argue about it will doubtless arise soon enough without breathing new life into old, divisive threads.  Just a thought :)

• Greenie 2

Just an observation; the amount of wash produced varies hugely between boats.

I train in a very tippy (think of sitting on a basket ball while waving your arms about) kayak.

Sunday, nice and sunny. Passed a few narrowboats (this is on the Cam). One boat kicked up quite a wash and I had to be careful.

Next boat, going similar speed. Almost no wash. 

Similar size boats, similar speed. Huge difference in wash.

I used to own a 50ft dutch barge. High bow, which always had a 'bone in its teeth'. Fishermen seeing me coming would shout for me to slow down; then they'd look at the wash after I'd passed; minimal. 

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

This thread died 3.5 years ago.  Wouldn't it be better to consider it spent rather than reopen old wounds?  If passing moored boats is anyone's hobby horse, a fresh opportunity to argue about it will doubtless arise soon enough without breathing new life into old, divisive threads.  Just a thought :)

Yes I am sorry. I was googling around tickover after being abused this morning by a passing boater (I'm not new to this having lived aboard for the best part of a decade but post lockdown river closure the poor behaviour of boaters feels a bit fresh) and I found this and didnt notice the date. I wish I hadnt as the charming person above you didnt need the excuse for that sort of voice. 

Strangely I usually manage to keep from getting my knickers in a twist over 'trains, cars and seagulls' , god forbid I could have had a fair point. 

Apologies for opening a can of worms.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Hannah Jones McVey said:

Yes I am sorry. I was googling around tickover after being abused this morning by a passing boater (I'm not new to this having lived aboard for the best part of a decade but post lockdown river closure the poor behaviour of boaters feels a bit fresh) and I found this and didnt notice the date. I wish I hadnt as the charming person above you didnt need the excuse for that sort of voice. 

Strangely I usually manage to keep from getting my knickers in a twist over 'trains, cars and seagulls' , god forbid I could have had a fair point. 

Apologies for opening a can of worms.

Unfortunately, you cant win here :) Had you posted a question about tickover speeds, the same people would probably have told you in no uncertain terms to do a search before asking your question.

If I were you, I would feel free to respond to threads of any age, and ask any questions you like. Then ignore the arsey ones :)  

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Poorly thought through, even if it were true.

So emergency services are to waste time and their lives looking for a non present baby because the driver has left the sign in the car?

Nobody has ever thought, "Ooh look that car has a baby on board, and there was me about to ram it at great speed."  I've always regarded those signs as being in the realm of soppy people who think I'm going to be impressed they've managed to successfully do the easiest and most commonly practised activity since amoeba split in two.

I often see people paying little attention to their driving with "Baby onboard" signs in the back window and I can't help thinking "Well pay attention to your driving then!"

23 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Unfortunately, you cant win here :) Had you posted a question about tickover speeds, the same people would probably have told you in no uncertain terms to do a search before asking your question.

If I were you, I would feel free to respond to threads of any age, and ask any questions you like. Then ignore the arsey ones :)  

I do

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

You're 4 years too late!

I don't agree, the OP only posted their first post around 3 hours ago.  Joining and participating aren't the same thing, but until you take part  are you truly recognised?

I was recognising their public turning up.

33 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Thank you, I really appreciated this.

• Greenie 1

I've been living aboard for 18 years and I don't agree with the school of thought that says passing boats should slow to tickover so that the occupants of moored boats don't feel their boats move. Slow down of course, but for some ditch dwellers it will never be slow enough and all this talk of broken crockery and flying teapots is for the most part simply myth. If boaters can't handle a bit of movement there must be alternative pasttimes or types of accommodation that would suit them better. 

Boats move, that's what they do. I lived on a garden end mooring on the Thames for 3 years and passenger boats would go past at 8kts without slowing down at all. It's a wide deep river but once you've experienced that you won't worry about a bit of movement as boats go past on the canal.

• Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I don't agree, the OP only posted their first post around 3 hours ago.  Joining and participating aren't the same thing, but until you take part  are you truly recognised?

I was recognising their public turning up.

If you take a look at your post, I think you would agree that it did look like you were welcoming Jess, rather than Hannah.

• Greenie 1

Some people wouldnt fare well on the Northern waterways with commercial boat traffic.

Even when they pass slowly you know for sure they are passing.