Where to source Carabo stove baffle plate?

anniewhere

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

I need a new baffle plate for my Carabo stove. I can't find anything online – does anyone know if they exist at all, as spare parts? Or if there's a different stove with same baffle plate dimensions?

Thanks!

Sadly it looks as though no-one here has heard of a Carabo stove. Might it also be known by a different name, perhaps?

Could you post a photo of it? Someone might recognise it.

I have a Carabo stove. I had my local blacksmith make me a baffle plate after measuring where it slides in at the top of the stove. However, I soon took it out again as it made the stove smoke for some time after lighting, and it was so close to the bottom of the flue that I had to regularly clear stuff off it. I've used the stove without a baffle plate for the past 10 years and it works perfectly well, although I recognise that it will be a little less efficient.

Edited to say that since I only burn wood, I also took the grate out and put it on the stove base with the ashpan on top, and have my fire on this solid base. Works even better (but only if burning wood).

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I too have a carbo stove fitted and in the7 yrs I have usedit there has never been a baffle plate just 2 blanked off holes in the flue pipe and it works fine

I think you had a flue damper there. So did I, and I took that out too, as they can be dangerous if blocked. The baffle plate is lower down, just below the flue, in the body of the stove.

• 1 month later...

There was no discernible difference in the behaviour or performance of my old Squirrel when lit with or without the baffle. Same applies to my hateful Boatman stove too.

I can't figure out why it is there.

The reasoning is that it stops the flames going straight up the flue. The baffle plate sort of diverts them a bit and slows them down to give more time for the heat to be transferred to the body of the stove. I can actually see this happening on our larger Countryman stove at home, and can appreciate that it is probably more efficient, but in smaller stoves with shorter flues, and therefore less draw, on boats baffle plates probably don't make much difference.

Thanks, that's good to know. All my worrying started because a neighbour said to me "Of course you're cold, you don't have a baffle plate". I guess he just assumed from his own set up that you have to have one. Bad insulation is the more likely reason for my boat taking ages to heat up and the position of the stove isn't ideal either.

Thanks, that's good to know. All my worrying started because a neighbour said to me "Of course you're cold, you don't have a baffle plate". I guess he just assumed from his own set up that you have to have one. Bad insulation is the more likely reason for my boat taking ages to heat up and the position of the stove isn't ideal either.

Do you not try to keep the stove alight all the time then? Assuming you are liveaboard then this is the best way. It takes my stove a couple of hours to re-light and really begin to heat the boat if its gone out when I get home in the evening.

Bank it up with as much solid fuel as you can fit then close down the air control at the bottom to be only just cracked open, then it will probably stay alight all day and all you have to do is open the air control and it will burst into life.

What stove do you have?

Do you not try to keep the stove alight all the time then? Assuming you are liveaboard then this is the best way. It takes my stove a couple of hours to re-light and really begin to heat the boat if its gone out when I get home in the evening.

Bank it up with as much solid fuel as you can fit then close down the air control at the bottom to be only just cracked open, then it will probably stay alight all day and all you have to do is open the air control and it will burst into life.

What stove do you have?

Erm.. I think it might be a Carabo?