Multimeter reading of 17v

hackenbush

Featured Posts

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Not sure whether this picture is visible as flash doesn't work. As far as I can see I can add water.

No I can't see. Have you got any distilled or demineralised water ?

Have you ever added and water and how long have you had the batteries, note how long have you had them?

I did!, but as the experts said, only valid if the battery has been left for a while without charge or draw.

I'll check again in the morning

No I can't see. Have you got any distilled or demineralised water ?

Have you ever added and water and how long have you had the batteries, note how long have you had them?

The battery wasn't new when I took hold of the boat in October so really can't say. I've never added water either (to any battery, ever)

• Greenie 1

I'll check again in the morning

The battery wasn't new when I took hold of the boat in October so really can't say. I've never added water either (to any battery, ever)

Well in that case if you can add water, I would suggest that you have a look in the morning

Thanks, I'll pin that on the wall!

So battery is not defunct but it needs a lot of charging?

And no, there's very little draw on the battery but I probably haven't been running the engine long enough daily

Battery needs lots and lots and lots of charging. Probably from 8am to 8pm tomorrow (that'll make you popular!).

But... it's probably too late. It's probably dead but you won't know for sure until you put a proper charge into it.

In the morning before anything else take a voltage reading.

Then check the fluid levels, it should be just above the plates, do not fill to the top of the cell.

Then charge as per WotEver above.

Be there when charging and every so often check the batteries are not getting hot, they may get warm.

Keep the area well ventilated.

Then check the fluid levels, it should be just above the plates, do not fill to the top of the cell.

Be there when charging and every so often check the batteries are not getting hot, they may get warm.

^^^^^ yes, all of this.

Do not use tap water

Use distilled or demineralised water very important

No, at the very least have a wee and get dressed first.

.............Dave

After my 11.72 reading last night I ran the engine at quite high revs for some time (I think around an hour perhaps more - I moored without neighbours) and took a reading before bed: 12.41.

I took another reading this morning: 12.51.

Any insights would be welcome!

After checking electrolyte levels and topping up with demineralised or distilled water to just above the plates, kerp charging all day as previously suggested.

All you're measuring right now is what's known as Surface Charge and doesn't tell you anything about the battery.

When you've charged all day and stopped, turn on the tunnel lamp for about 10 minutes then leave it a while and take a voltage reading.

As an add-on I bought alligator clips so I could measure current but for the life of me I can't see how to actually attach the probes. I'm aware this is such a simple problem nobody will be able to answer!

When I stick the probe into the back it hits a barrier. Does this need to be punctured? Otherwise the probe just drops out

After checking electrolyte levels and topping up with demineralised or distilled water to just above the plates, kerp charging all day as previously suggested.

All you're measuring right now is what's known as Surface Charge and doesn't tell you anything about the battery.

When you've charged all day and stopped, turn on the tunnel lamp for about 10 minutes then leave it a while and take a voltage reading.

Ok, will do.

Just be aware that this meter can't measure currents unless you break into the circuit. In other words, you have to disconnect the circuit you want to measure and put the probes on the two resultant connections. However the meter can only read up to 10A. So it will never be suitable for measuring charging current etc.

You could for example remove the fuse for a circuit and put the meter probes across the fuse holder to measure the current in that particular circuit. I'm not too sure what's to be gained by doing that any more than once.

Edited by nicknorman

by the way, there are leisure batteries on the market that are described as maintenance free (i.e. there is no facility for adding water), but they have vents (red plugs that must be removed before use), and if you remove the sticky label you can remove a long strip of moulded plastic which allows you to add water.

Presumably 'maintenance free' is just a marketing ploy.

Just be aware that this meter can't measure currents unless you break into the circuit. In other words, you have to disconnect the circuit you want to measure and put the probes on the two resultant connections. However the meter can only read up to 10A. So it will never be suitable for measuring charging current etc.

You could for example remove the fuse for a circuit and put the meter probes across the fuse holder to measure the current in that particular circuit. I'm not too sure what's to be gained by doing that any more than once.

Ah, ok. I thought I could do this to gauge how much was being drawn from the battery when certain things were switched on