13 year old non swimmer drowns

Bewildered

Featured Posts

Boy, 13, who could not swim 'drowned when he jumped into a canal'

http://dailym.ai/2giWRYJ

Apparently this is the fault of C&RT for not having signs telling non swimmers that jumpining in a lock is dangerous. It has nothing to do with the parents who state that because he didn't show interest in swimming we never bothered to teach him.

No signs to warn that jumping into the canal is a bad idea for a non-swimmer? Tragic that a 13 year old boy has died, but this wasn't even a lock. There should be warning signs every 10m down the towpath?

No signs to warn that jumping into the canal is a bad idea for a non-swimmer? Tragic that a 13 year old boy has died, but this wasn't even a lock. There should be warning signs every 10m down the towpath?

But what if you jump in 5m from where a sign is?

I'm a very poor swimmer. I fell into a lock (slipped off the gunwales on a yoghurt pot on the Avon) but was able to make it to the ladder and even kept hold of the windlass. Signs wouldn't have helped me but more common sense at the time might have.

There have been lots of campaigns to warn parents of the dangers of water. Drowning is the most obvious risk. I wonder what percentage of the general population is aware of the health risks of swimming in our rivers and canals? I spent years living on the Avon and swam every summer even though sewage regularly entered the rivers back then. Guess I was lucky not to get Weil's disease.

Edited by mross

There have been lots of campaigns to warn parents of the dangers of water. Drowning is the most obvious risk. I wonder what percentage of the general population is aware of the health risks of swimming in our rivers and canals? I spent years living on the Avon and swam every summer even though sewage regularly entered the rivers back then. Guess I was lucky not to get Weil's disease.

Or Bubonic plague, Typhoid I think. Which, I believe can suddenly manifest itself years and years after the dunking. Any sign of any enormous pustules breaking out?

Edited by bizzard

This is an extremely sad incident, but is surely nobody's fault but the boy's - unless perhaps he was egged on by friends who could swim.

That is how I see it as well. However it would be a grieving parents natural reaction to want to blame somebody and think of what would have stopped it. In their view (while grieving) a simple sign would have solved the problem, in the cold clear light of not being involved we can see all sorts of problems with that view.

Extremely sad whatever the situation.

I think it was a lock. The report says he was recovered when the lock was emptied. But I take your point - should CRT sign every lock?

It says he climbed down a ladder to water that was a foot below bank level, So it sounds like a full lock. It also says it was about 9 feet wide, which is clearly wrong, but does suggest a narrow section rather than the main canal channel.

Putting signs at a lock allows people to say "something was done", but can only have any effect at that particular location, and in reality a sign is likely to make very little difference. Teaching children to swim, and teaching them about the dangers of water *anywhere* is surely much more likely to save lives.

Extremely sad and condolences to the parents. Apart from the doubtful effectiveness of a sign, and the merits of responsibility for training, why not as gesture of goodwill and concern,for CRT to immeediately erect a simple sign just at that place.

I see three issues with this report.

1. The coroner is at fault for perpetuating the nanny state nonsense that not enough has been done to prevent accidents.

2. The child was foolhardy, presumably he knew before he took the decision to jump into the water he could not swim.

3. The biggest fault by far is with the parents. Not teaching a child to swim is neglect. Swimming is a life skill and parents who fail to teach it or at least arrange for it to be done have failed in their parental responsibility.

• Greenie 3

Extremely sad and condolences to the parents. Apart from the doubtful effectiveness of a sign, and the merits of responsibility for training, why not as gesture of goodwill and concern,for CRT to immeediately erect a simple sign just at that place.

Sadly it would probably last a week or two until another 13 year old vandalised it.

That is how I see it as well. However it would be a grieving parents natural reaction to want to blame somebody and think of what would have stopped it. In their view (while grieving) a simple sign would have solved the problem, in the cold clear light of not being involved we can see all sorts of problems with that view.

Extremely sad whatever the situation.

Yes, it is a natural reaction, and anger is one of the five stages of grief.

As you say, extrmely sad.

Edited by Guest