Programme On BBC 1 This Morning 9:15

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Was the bank easy to get into?

It involved a lot of form filling and some choice of good words on the part of the people who applied for the grant :)

More details of how it came about here for anyone interested:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/latest-news/press-releases/672-replacement-for-john-varley

Oh well that was nice, even if it is always raining! Did we catch a glimpse of you, I wasn't quite sure? (having only met you in person once and very briefly).

Is the cafe on the detached portion, or the connected portion?

And finally , when will we be able to boat into Chesterfield?

So many questions...

Oh well that was nice, even if it is always raining! Did we catch a glimpse of you, I wasn't quite sure? (having only met you in person once and very briefly).

Is the cafe on the detached portion, or the connected portion?

And finally , when will we be able to boat into Chesterfield?

So many questions...

I have just managed to have a watch on i-Player:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

The bit about the canal starts at around 9:43

Yes I am on there very briefly but only my back view so I don't think anyone would recognise me anyway :)

Hollingwood Hub with the cafe is on the unconnected section but that does not stop people boating to Chesterfield.

Python went to pay homage to The Crooked Spire in May this year:

15235535_1232144230142353_60127179508407

It was very exciting, there were hundreds of people turned ut along the route to see around 45 boats using the unconnected section

15110387_1232144243475685_39234132220356

There are only two boats on that section usually - both of them you saw in that clip. Python and two other trip boats were craned in for The Trailboat Festival and the rest of the boats were trailboats that used one of the two slipways to launch their vessel so the only thing stopping people from boating into Chesterfield is their ability to launch their boat at a slipway .....

I know that is not what you meant though - and to answer your question you really need to speak to HS2.

Just before HS2 dropped their route bombshell on us almost 4 years ago some trustees had been looking at the progress and the momentum of restoration that had occurred over the last 36 years and realised that if the momentum kept increasing at the pace it had been and the progress kept pace with the momentum then the curve on a graph meant that it could be possible to get the canal completed in around 10 years.

But we just lost 4 years and hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of grants because the restoration is blighted by HS2.

The section that causes the most concern is STILL blighted because HS2 will not declare their final choice of route until next year.

Meanwhile we have a work party with a LOT of enthusiasm waiting to find out where they can start digging next and there are many high level talks going on with different local authorities and land owners to see which of them wants to invite that volunteer force to regenerate their bit of England with their shovels.

I have managed to get the link now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0842jmf/ill-gotten-gains-episode-4

Yes you must come and visit The Chessie - there is a very good guide to it available here:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/home/home-353525/view/productdetails/virtuemart_product_id/13/virtuemart_category_id/3

Make sure you let me know when you are visiting and we will see if we can link up with you. You can be assured a welcome at Retford & Worksop Boat Club - open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights with decent real ale at just £2 a pint!

I have managed to get the link now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0842jmf/ill-gotten-gains-episode-4

Yes you must come and visit The Chessie - there is a very good guide to it available here:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/home/home-353525/view/productdetails/virtuemart_product_id/13/virtuemart_category_id/3

Make sure you let me know when you are visiting and we will see if we can link up with you. You can be assured a welcome at Retford & Worksop Boat Club - open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights with decent real ale at just £2 a pint!

Ta - will do!

I'm intending taking Halcyon 'home' next year. The badge on the chimney shows she was called 'Scorpio' and her home was Rhodesia on the Chesterfield. Be nice to travel as far as we can then spend a few days cycling before coming back to Thorne.

• 3 weeks later...

I only just saw your message, it will nice to meet up with you if the opportunity arises. You would be assured a welcome at the Retford & Worksop Boat Club (bar opens, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday night)

I will ask around if anyone remembers Scorpio from Rhodesia. What era would this be?

• 2 weeks later...

Decided not to go out on the boat after Christmas as I was a bit worried about getting iced in and we have to fly home tomorrow. So took the hire car up to have a look at the Chesterfield.

We stopped at Kiveton Park and walked up to the tunnel mouth, had a really nice walk in the sunshine up the Thorpe etc lock flight. What a lovely flight! And busy with walkers.

We had lunch at Nona's cafe, which was seething with cyclists. We popped into the visitor centre at Tapton and walked up to the end where the river flood gate is.

Altogether a great day out apart from the fog on the M1! Trouble is, we'll now have to take the boat up there next year...

So pleased to hear your enjoyed your trip. It sounds like you took in many of the interesting bits but missed what is often thought of as the prettiest bit (the flight of locks down from Kiveton Park)

It is worth mentioning if others decide to have a peek that you can get a train from Shireoaks station (Park in the marina or on the road outside of it and cut through to the station on the footpath) up to Kiveton Park then walk back down to Shireaoks. I think the trains run hourly and you can take in Laura's Cafe at Shireoaks too (the Bakewell Tart is to die for)

You will be very welcome to bring the boat next year Nick, please let us know if you do plan a visit and hopefully we will be around to catch up with you.

If you want a really good guide for your trip then the rights to the original Richlow Guide which was renowned as the best for the canal have been donated to CCT who have updated the info and published it. You can buy a copy mail order from here:

So pleased to hear your enjoyed your trip. It sounds like you took in many of the interesting bits but missed what is often thought of as the prettiest bit (the flight of locks down from Kiveton Park)

No I think we walked that bit didn't we? We passed Turnerwood locks and the Thorpe Trebles. We did move the car nearer Shireoaks rather than walk from Kiveton to the Thorpe top treble - we are lazy! Anyway, if that isn't the prettiest bit I shall be thoroughly impressed with a prettier bit!

Thanks for the other info. It is about 16 days round trip from Fazeley but it doesn't look like the sort of trip to rush so we might end up doing it over 2 trips and find somewhere to keep the boat "oop north" between 2 holidays. Jeff can't easily take more than 2 weeks holiday at a time.

No I think we walked that bit didn't we? We passed Turnerwood locks and the Thorpe Trebles. We did move the car nearer Shireoaks rather than walk from Kiveton to the Thorpe top treble - we are lazy! Anyway, if that isn't the prettiest bit I shall be thoroughly impressed with a prettier bit!

Thanks for the other info. It is about 16 days round trip from Fazeley but it doesn't look like the sort of trip to rush so we might end up doing it over 2 trips and find somewhere to keep the boat "oop north" between 2 holidays. Jeff can't easily take more than 2 weeks holiday at a time.

Oh yes, I didn't read it properly, yes you did cover the flight. Personally I love the bit between Clayworth and Misterton too but there are so many lovely bits and very few bits that are not.

During the summer when members boats are "out" on the system Retford and Worksop Boat Club can usually provide safe moorings. You could hook up to electricity if required and the caretakers walk the towpath to check all the boats twice a day. It is just a short day's cruise away from West Stockwith where, depending on tide times, you can escape to the rest of the system easily

Oh yes, I didn't read it properly, yes you did cover the flight. Personally I love the bit between Clayworth and Misterton too but there are so many lovely bits and very few bits that are not.

During the summer when members boats are "out" on the system Retford and Worksop Boat Club can usually provide safe moorings. You could hook up to electricity if required and the caretakers walk the towpath to check all the boats twice a day. It is just a short day's cruise away from West Stockwith where, depending on tide times, you can escape to the rest of the system easily

Thanks Chesh, I'll remember that when we come to plan it all.