Insurance for liveaboards

Kate89

Featured Posts

Hi there, we've just bought our first narrowboat and we're looking to move onboard after Christmas. I'm just looking at narrowboat insurance, and I'm struggling to find a policy that provides cover for contents also? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks, Kate

I'm with Towergate as well and have no complaints except that I have to argue with them every year over premium hikes.

The thing about insurance companies is that you don't really find out how good they are until you have to make a claim, which we all hope we won't have to do.

Cheers,

T.

Park Home Assist insure our lodge and have recently started doing marine insurance including contents. Being newcomers to this market they may well give you a better quote than the others.

http://www.parkhomeassist.co.uk/marine-insurance/

Michael Stimpson is doing insurance again but I don't know the name of the company he is working with

He is I believe the guy who drew up a live aboard policy and has now parted company with the large insurance company he did this with.

I could be wrong but am very sure I recently read this in the press.

Towergate Marden.

Edited by valrene9600

Annoying thing about insurance is as mentioned above not knowing how good a company is Until a claim goes in.

So just how do you judge what to do to cut down on boating costs?.

If you ease back on the throttle you can hear a lower engine feed that is burning less fuel and saving money etc. But saving on insurance is a suck it and see what happens situation. Pay for the cheaper one and hope to be pleasantly surprised or has anyone some ideas.

Just how did you choose an insurance company to save on the prmium.

We were with Michael Stimpson, who passed us on to Towergate (who he became associated with). They do a very comprehensive contents policy specifically for liveaboards. I was surprised that some things, for not a lot of extra £££, could also be covered off the boat. But you do have to pay attention to and sometimes question the annual markups.

I went with Taylor-Knox Johnston for my first year of cover and added contents separately. I think they may be slightly more expensive than the alternatives but I'm happy with it for now. Luckily haven't had to find out what they're like to claim from yet.