Solar panel test video

Penfold

Featured Posts

Although not many narrowboats will cast shadows over the panels.

Also, I believe most panels these days have bypass diodes, so that shading one section doesn't knock out the whole panel.

e.t.a. X-post with Wot

Edited by Iain_S

Also, I believe most panels these days have bypass diodes, so that shading one section doesn't knock out the whole panel.

e.t.a. X-post with Wot

This video is from July 2016 so not that out of date.. Also dont narrowboats get shadows off trees etc when moored up?

Ummm, I have 3 panels in series and do notice the difference with shade but not quite as drastic as that, probably 30 to 40 % drop from tree shade but tree shade is not usually total. Building shade ior thick cloud just kills it I get maybe 10 to 20 % if I'm lucky. In winter when the sun is weaker and lower in the sky you can halve those figures to so a dull day under trees means milliamps, not good.

e.t.a. X-post with Wot

Probably depends on the panels. Mine are second hand solar farm panels and so designed for shade free installation and behave in a similar manner to the video. I still have then in series and just don't moor under trees if I want max power from them.