Rivers, check your boats

matty40s

Featured Posts

Almost biblical rainfall this afternoon in the East Midlands amongst other non media reported places.

The Soar has gone up 2 feet since this morning and is still rising with lots of water in the catchment areas. Nene and Avon will be similar I would have thought.

Take care if you are our there and get someone to check your ropes if you can't do it yourself.

The usual roads in the Soar Valley ate shut already.

We were above Weston on trent and Mersey (the Derby one). Rained from at least 3 in mmorning. Left mooring soon after 7, winded and had very wet and windy journey back to Beeston by midday. Soar was shut. Trent running very fast (cranfleet-beeston in a scary sub 30 minutes. Imagine trent shut too by now, still rain in air and not really ever totally stopped and more forecast. We saw no other moving boats. Keep safe all.

The Trent is in flood at 8pm the level was 1.46m at Shardlow - it is normally navigabled from Shardlow to Sawley Cut at 1.30m or below. The Soar is well up and a lot of water is being added to it from the Wreake.

This is a good website to get river levels and flow rates from

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map/Summary/121/123

Stuck on a train for the last 2 hours of my 50 minute journey home due to flooding and still only 3/4 of the way home!

Hope you make it home soon. Where abouts are you?

Stuck on a train for the last 2 hours of my 50 minute journey home due to flooding and still only 3/4 of the way home!

I'm also at Weston (Derbyshire) on the T&M, heading for Sawley. Thought better of moving anywhere today, given the quantity of rain.

I watch the EA river levels on their site https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels. The warnings relate to flooding risk to property, rather than navigation but it gives a good guide as to how fast the rivers are rising.

Sounds like you had a white knuckle ride downstream to Beeston, Mrs Trackman. The forecast for this part of the E Mids doesn't show much significant rainfall for the rest of the week and the Trent upstream from here looks like it might have topped out already.

Stay safe, folks.

River soar at cossington is over the bank, i couldn't get to work on my bike this morning as it was impassable. Through all the flooding last year it never stopped me cycling on the tow path to work.

We are at barrow boating and it is very high but not over the edge,the sluice gates here are now fully open.

We are right on the junction with the wreake at syston. Yesterday the gauge showed an overall rise of 4 and a half foot. Eek! I really should be used to it by now! The wreake is pummelling it's way down, and even the floating barrier at the junction is underwater.

When we arrived at this mooring, we had to build a step to get up from the tug deck to the pontoon, the step is now on the pontoon to get up to the boat with!

Home now. Journey 2 hours longer than normal!

In the Calder Valley, so lots of nervousness about a repeat of the Boxing Day flood, but river levels are going down now.

I luckily arrived in Sowerby Bridge before the deluge started, but then had to slacken off my ropes - and I'm on the canal!

Newark Flood gates have gone on.

Notice Alert

River Trent
Starts At: Newark Basin Flood Gates
Ends At: Newark Basin Flood Gates

Tuesday 22 November 2016 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Due to the Trent going into Flood, we have had to put Newark Flood Gates on.

Boaters are asked not to travel along the navigation until further notice.

Please check our website for regular updates on the flood situation.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/9747/newark-flood-gates

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

And Torksey

Notice Alert

Fossdyke Canal
Starts At: Lock 1, Torksey Lock
Ends At: Lock 1, Torksey Lock

Tuesday 22 November 2016 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Due to the flood levels rising and the current high tides, we have had to close Torksey Flood Gates.

Boaters will not be able to get through Torksey Lock until further notice.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/9748/torksey-flood-gates

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

We are right on the junction with the wreake at syston. Yesterday the gauge showed an overall rise of 4 and a half foot. Eek! I really should be used to it by now! The wreake is pummelling it's way down, and even the floating barrier at the junction is underwater.

Sounds like a good excuse to see if you can make it up to the site of Syston Mill Lock!