Keeping warm while winter cruising

Dave_P

Featured Posts

even clearing the prop (via the weed hatch) can be a painful experience.

I find pouring a kettleful of boiling water down the weedhatch before putting my hands in works well for a short time.

For longer jobs, make sure you have the kettle on the boil again before starting work. It is all too easy to saw through a finger ehen your hands are really numb.

I find pouring a kettleful of boiling water down the weedhatch before putting my hands in works well for a short time.

For longer jobs, make sure you have the kettle on the boil again before starting work. It is all too easy to saw through a finger ehen your hands are really numb.

Alternatively, if your boat is from before weedhatches were invented, using a cabin shaft from the bank ensures your hands stay completely dry and warm!

Thinking on, I think I could stand the cold weather if I could keep my hands warm but I've never had a set of gloves that would do this. I remember getting a heated seat for the old VW that plugged into the cig lighter socket, and I believe you can get gloves that do the same I think intended for motorbikes - has anyone ever tried them?

What about two pairs of gloves to give two layers?

Multiple layers of clothing are usually a good thing. Works well with socks so I don't see why gloves should be any different. May make outdoor knitting (for example) a bit tricky but should be easy enough to operate the tiller and Morse lever thingy.

Edited for missing words

Edited by MrBeethoven

having worked outside in the winter regularly in UK and trips to Northern Finland and Iceland (not the shop, boom boom tish) theres only one brand thats stood the test of time for durability and warmth.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/

Arctic Parka still as good as new, celebrates it's 20th birthday next month

While we're sharing links. I use both the hands and feet versions of these. I buy bulk packs from Amazon. The foot ones are especially marvellous.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hands-Instant-Hand-Warmers-Pairs/dp/B000YF3DUA

Are those the ones that you reactivate in a pan of hot water? If so, how many times can they be reactivated?

I got a ski jacket and trousers from lidl or aldi about eight or nine years ago and still going strong. cheap and effective in poxy weather.

Aldi skiwear is on special offer from Sunday:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/dates/Sunday-27-november/c/2016-11-27/?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ASkiwear&page=0

+one for the ski trousers fantastic for the depths of winter otherwise normal lightweight waterproof trousers all my fleeces jackets and beanies are wierd fish , brill in this weather for really cold i have a mountaineering coat which is lightweight but has a fleece lined quilted jacket which clips inside it the hood wraps round above my nose and with a scarf under and a light base layer is every bit as warm if not warmer than the kit we used in norway when i did my cold weather survival training in the forces.

for hands i have thinsulate gloves with belstaff waterproof bike mitts over the top.

Rick