Keeping warm while winter cruising

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Now, I know you smug lot with trad stern are all toasty warm from the cabin heat, but I have a cruiser stern (I know, I know).

I think you answered your own question in post number 1!

Ideally it needs to be a "proper" trad boat though, with a range just below you. A "modern trad" will not keep you half as warm, (although a lot warmer than a cruiser stern).

I suppose a pram hood might help on the other types! help.gif

I was wondering if this would be a good idea for keeping warm on a cruiser stern.

Cut 2" diameter hole in deck plate (in a convenient corner) fit 2" plastic pipe in hole with elbow bends as necessary so pipe sits just above cillinder head. Fit 2"diameter processor fan in the tube, wire up with switch and fuse, and suck warm air off the top of the engine to blow around your legs.

How about 2 pipes about 6 inches apart.

You could then stand with one up each trouser leg.

Warm air central heating!

Dave

I think you answered your own question in post number 1!

Ideally it needs to be a "proper" trad boat though, with a range just below you. A "modern trad" will not keep you half as warm, (although a lot warmer than a cruiser stern).

I suppose a pram hood might help on the other types! help.gif

That's the truth, and if we ever became full time liveaboards I would have to have a proper trad. I sometimes remove one of the engine boards to warm up the back cabin but even that doesn't create enough heat on a really cold day, I do envy those with a stove at their feet.

All the usual things as given above, but my wife wears a heated waistcoat, bought for use on the bike, which plugs in to a socket at the back. Sealskin gloves are good, but expensive; look out for them in TKMaxx. The only gloves I have found that stay waterproof other than very heavy M/C gloves.

We have a semi-trad stern, with tonneau cover. If it is cold, and especially if it is raining, we fit it so the stern is mostly covered, just room for us. Although we haven't tried it, combining this with a decent cape would I am sure be very effective. You never see cycle capes these days, but I think fishermen use them.

I think that is good advice, I wish I could say I employ it.

But falling in the cut at this time of year doesn't bear thinking about, even clearing the prop (via the weed hatch) can be a painful experience.

I wonder why your first line is true, if the second line is! Hopefully you won't have to fall in before employing it.

In the winter the most important item of clothing to wear is a life jacket especially when working locks. It matter little whether you are on the canal or rivers if you fall in weaing a lot of clothes it is difficult to swim and further more the shock of the cold water can render you incapable of doing so! Remember on the canals you may not be able to stand up in the water and in a lock you will be out of your depth.

The other issue when falling in is how to get out. It is almost impossible to climb out on a piled bank especially when wearing a lot of clothes. Its worth thinking about how you would do this before you actually fall in!!

Finally jeans are not good in winter they are not good at insulating from the cold and when wet are cold and clammy. Better to wear windproof trousers with fleece lining - they are not expensive.

Agreed.

Imagine getting all cosy and prepared for a day of cruising through winter weather. Count the layers you'd put on.

Then imagine swimming across the canal (or wharf, much deeper) to try and find a suitable place to pull yourself out.

Then imagine not being able to move much or pull yourself out because you're so heavy (with all the layers you just counted), and so shocked by the cold.

Hopefully there'll be somebody strong nearby able to yank you out and maybe break your ribs in the process.

I did stuff a hot water bottle down my top once. Lovely :)

That's the truth, and if we ever became full time liveaboards I would have to have a proper trad. I sometimes remove one of the engine boards to warm up the back cabin but even that doesn't create enough heat on a really cold day, I do envy those with a stove at their feet.

And as a fulltime live aboard of umpteen years I would never have a " Proper " Trad. The front "hold" would be of know use to me at all, I would get fed up of feeding a horse twice a day sod that!! And living in that tiny cabin ohmy.png I vastly prefer my virtualy silent engine and fitted wilton carpets and comforts thank you very much.

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

I vastly prefer my virtualy silent engine and fitted whilton carpets and comforts thank you very much.

Tim

How pleasant to read something good about Whilton.

ER, "Wilton" carpets perhaps? I'm sure it was a Freudian slip!

Thinking on, I think I could stand the cold weather if I could keep my hands warm but I've never had a set of gloves that would do this. I remember getting a heated seat for the old VW that plugged into the cig lighter socket, and I believe you can get gloves that do the same I think intended for motorbikes - has anyone ever tried them?

where is Bizzard when he's needed?

has he been banned?

Probably

Thinking on, I think I could stand the cold weather if I could keep my hands warm but I've never had a set of gloves that would do this. I remember getting a heated seat for the old VW that plugged into the cig lighter socket, and I believe you can get gloves that do the same I think intended for motorbikes - has anyone ever tried them?

and shoes http://www.careco.co.uk/item-s-dl01017/blazewear-heated-gloves.htm?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLACampaigns&gclid=CJrAlb-eutACFekp0wodx04MSA

no, I don't think he wore ladies' lingerie, we're talking about carpets here. rolleyes.gif

I used to wear ladies tights under my leathers when I had bikes. They weren't warm or anything; it was just a phase i was going through.

too much information, thankyou. mad.gif

there are other websites and forums that address such issues. rolleyes.gif

biggrin.png

I understand that police motorcyclists have been known to wear tights to help keep warm. Might just be a rumour.

I am a fine weather boater by choice and don't go out in the Winter, but in the Summer I get caught out by bad weather - then it is usually my hands that get cold - the rest of me is warm. My cruiser deck has a warm engine underneath so my feet don't get too cold.

Edited by Horace42

I get mild arthritis in my knees, and I've found that wearing those wind proof cheapo waterproof trousers makes ALL the difference... Don't care that I sound like crisp packets when I walk around in them! :-)

Don't moor where there are sheep - you could be arrested for rustling.

• Greenie 1