Keeping warm while winter cruising

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Now it's nearly winter and getting a bit nippy out, I thought I'd see how people stay warm when cruising.

Now, I know you smug lot with trad stern are all toasty warm from the cabin heat, but I have a cruiser stern (I know, I know).

Doing lots of locks is fine coz you move around a lot.

But what about a long, level cruise? I find it seems coldest when the temp is just above freezing and the air is very damp. Below freezing, the air dries out and it feels more comfortable.

This is what I wear from feet to head:

'Heat Holder' socks, in comfy shoes with thermal reflective insoles with a 'hot hands' foot warmer slipped in each one too.

Thermal Long-Johns under comfy jeans.

Lots of layer on top, starting with a long sleeved thermal vest, then a woolen shirt, then a fleece, then a padded coat, then sometimes a waterproof too.

Big squidgy scarf.

Winter cap with a furry ear flaps and sometimes a beanie stretched right over the top.

Ski gloves with 'hot hands' hand warmers inside.

I probably look like I've just escaped from somewhere but at least I don't get cold!

If its toooooo cold I go to the pub but when I feel like going for a drive I always buy Tog 24 stuff and have done for years. The labeling system is far clearer than such as Berghaus and the like and quality is exxelent. They do the lot and a pair or three of thinsulate gloves from wherever.

Leather hat which stops getting too cold, they are not waterproof but I no longer boat in the rain life is too short.

Comfy boots with proper dubbin on.

Tim

Now it's nearly winter and getting a bit nippy out, I thought I'd see how people stay warm when cruising.

Now, I know you smug lot with trad stern are all toasty warm from the cabin heat, but I have a cruiser stern (I know, I know).

Doing lots of locks is fine coz you move around a lot.

But what about a long, level cruise? I find it seems coldest when the temp is just above freezing and the air is very damp. Below freezing, the air dries out and it feels more comfortable.

This is what I wear from feet to head:

'Heat Holder' socks, in comfy shoes with thermal reflective insoles with a 'hot hands' foot warmer slipped in each one too.

Thermal Long-Johns under comfy jeans.

Lots of layer on top, starting with a long sleeved thermal vest, then a woolen shirt, then a fleece, then a padded coat, then sometimes a waterproof too.

Big squidgy scarf.

Winter cap with a furry ear flaps and sometimes a beanie stretched right over the top.

Ski gloves with 'hot hands' hand warmers inside.

I probably look like I've just escaped from somewhere but at least I don't get cold!

Michelin man?

I wear work wear. I find it performs better and is cheaper than other stuff.

I wear Dickies Waterproof Padded Coveralls, when it cold and/or wet,

https://www.manomano.co.uk/safety-coverall-or-boiler-suit-1869?model_id=2280235&referer_id=537135&gclid=CjwKEAiAsMXBBRD71KWOh6fcjRwSJAC5CNE1EwdykFIhHBovP6MhMKvstvb7cxs_L8mHwkfi8uOOmBoCeDLw_wcB

and Iron Clad Cold Climate Waterproof gloves.

http://ironclad.com/all-ironclad-gloves/outdoor-adventure/cold-climate/cold-condition-waterproof/

Combine thelse with warm socks and waterproof footwear and you can keep dry and warm.

Edited to correct autowrong.

Edited by cuthound

On cold winter days I just stay in the warmth with the stove going, cook some nice food and perhaps have a drink or two. I leave all that winter cruising to you eager types.

It's each to their own I suppose. I've often watched people going past in the freezing wind and rain and wondered whether they're really enjoying it? It often doesn't look like it. I've had to move my boat enough in bad weather to know that I don't enjoy it, but if they do good luck to them.

I have a berghaus waterproof with zipped in fleece. A thermal neck thing for really cold stuff. Boots with thermal socks, legs don't usually get cold but I do venture into thermal undies if needs must.

I have an array of headgear. Suitable for all occasions. Even a Man Utd Woolie. Stops people chatting to me.

We just turn the heating on.

Nah, boating is an outdoor activity.

I often wonder what the guys who were first to the South Pole were wearing, i mean, standing on the back of a dog sled across the Antarctic must be comparable to navigating the Shropshire Union in November..?

I wear work wear. I find it performs better and is cheaper than other stuff.

I wear Dickies Waterproof Padded Coveralls, when it cold and/or wet,

https://www.manomano.co.uk/safety-coverall-or-boiler-suit-1869?model_id=2280235&referer_id=537135&gclid=CjwKEAiAsMXBBRD71KWOh6fcjRwSJAC5CNE1EwdykFIhHBovP6MhMKvstvb7cxs_L8mHwkfi8uOOmBoCeDLw_wcB

and Iron Clad Cold Climate Waterproof gloves.

http://ironclad.com/all-ironclad-gloves/outdoor-adventure/cold-climate/cold-condition-waterproof/

Combine thelse with warm socks and waterproof footwear and you can keep dry and warm.

Edited to correct autowrong.

I like the look of both of those. Do you know where I can get those gloves in the uk?

Thermal top and bottom with trousers and tshirt thin jumper and body warmer (jumper with no sleves) and then thin coat and water proof tousers.

Normally have the fire lit so legs stay warm abd keep the rest warm if get too cold stop for a bit and just float about while make cup of tea and walm up then carry on.

Nah, boating is an outdoor activity.

I often wonder what the guys who were first to the South Pole were wearing, i mean, standing on the back of a dog sled across the Antarctic must be comparable to navigating the Shropshire Union in November..?

Judging by the grimaces on the faces of the narrowboatists we have passed this morning perched on the backs of their boats in the persisting rain, I was glad to be sat in the cockpit toasty warm and dry with a nice hot cup of Earl Grey.

You can keep your out door pass time!

Judging by the grimaces on the faces of the narrowboatists we have passed this morning perched on the backs of their boats in the persisting rain, I was glad to be sat in the cockpit toasty warm and dry with a nice hot cup of Earl Grey.

A pity to spoil such a pleasant, cosy moment with Earl Grey tea, but the principle sounds good!

I like "narrowboatists". Are there "yoghurtists" too?

I was wondering if this would be a good idea for keeping warm on a cruiser stern.

Cut 2" diameter hole in deck plate (in a convenient corner) fit 2" plastic pipe in hole with elbow bends as necessary so pipe sits just above cillinder head. Fit 2"diameter processor fan in the tube, wire up with switch and fuse, and suck warm air off the top of the engine to blow around your legs.

In the winter the most important item of clothing to wear is a life jacket especially when working locks. It matter little whether you are on the canal or rivers if you fall in weaing a lot of clothes it is difficult to swim and further more the shock of the cold water can render you incapable of doing so! Remember on the canals you may not be able to stand up in the water and in a lock you will be out of your depth.

The other issue when falling in is how to get out. It is almost impossible to climb out on a piled bank especially when wearing a lot of clothes. Its worth thinking about how you would do this before you actually fall in!!

Finally jeans are not good in winter they are not good at insulating from the cold and when wet are cold and clammy. Better to wear windproof trousers with fleece lining - they are not expensive.

Edited by Richard T
  • Greenie 2

surely they were only grimacing because they hadn't read the good advice on this thread.

In the winter the most important item of clothing to wear is a life jacket especially when working locks. It matter little whether you are on the canal or rivers if you fall in weaing a lot of clothes it is difficult to swim and further more the shock of the cold water can render you incapable of doing so! Remember on the canals you may not be able to stand up in the water and in a lock you will be out of your depth.

The other issue when falling in is how to get out. It is almost impossible to climb out on a piled bank especially when wearing a lot of clothes. Its worth thinking about how you would do this before you actually fall in!!

Finally jeans are not good in winter they are not good at insulating from the cold and when wet are cold and clammy. Better to wear windproof trousers with fleece lining - they are not expensive.

I think that is good advice, I wish I could say I employ it.

But falling in the cut at this time of year doesn't bear thinking about, even clearing the prop (via the weed hatch) can be a painful experience.