Beta 43 oil

tonyt40

Featured Posts

Hi.

I am going to change to oil in the next few weeks. I have checked the spec (15 40 etc) . Is there a preferred brand that owners use?

I found this . It is mineral based cf. It seems to meet the spec. Has anybody used it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unipart-15W40-Mineral-Engine-Motor-Oil-PROM100-5-Litre/221996992141?rt=nc&_soffid=100&_soffType=SaleAndClearence&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Thanks

Tony

No there is not a preferred brand so long as you follow their requirements of 15W 40 api CF.

i use their own brand, http://betamarine.co.uk/lubricating-oils-guidelines/

But what you have found is a better price.

Even cheaper here though if you buy quick.

http://unipartautostore.com/15w40-mineral-engine-oil-unipart-prom100-5-litres-high-performance.html

Edited by Phil.

Any 15/40 without turbo additives (i.e. 'suitable for normally aspirated engines') will do. There's no value in a branded oil, the price usually depends on the volume that the outlet sells.

I get mine from a motor factor and buy two oil changes worth at a time to get a better price.

Morris are a well trusted (and iconic) oil supplier though not the cheapest (if you are the sort of person who likes to get a bargain).

Their Duplex CDX is good but only available in 25litre pots, its advantage is that its not too heavy on the additives if you worry about bore glazing. They do several others in 5l pots.

The Wilko stuff is also popular and a little cheaper than Morris. There is a rumour that its supplied by Morris but I expect its only a rumour.

I personally would not use "own brand" supermarket stuff.

Beta are very happy about Morris Oils going into their engines.

................Dave

No there is not a preferred brand so long as you follow their requirements of 15W 40 api CF.

i use their own brand, http://betamarine.co.uk/lubricating-oils-guidelines/

But what you have found is a better price.

Even cheaper here though if you buy quick.

http://unipartautostore.com/15w40-mineral-engine-oil-unipart-prom100-5-litres-high-performance.html

Thanks for the link I have just gone in to it and bought half a dozen cans.

Tim

Thanks for the link I have just gone in to it and bought half a dozen cans.

Tim

I would do same if there was room in the boat, but I already have bought a load of oil. This seems a really good deal.

I would do same if there was room in the boat, but I already have bought a load of oil. This seems a really good deal.

Hi Stan

Agreed. I already have three cans I got a good deal on from fleabay but at this price it had to be done. I have lots of storage space on this boat luckily or swmbo would not be happy ohmy.png

Tim

Hi.

I am going to change to oil in the next few weeks. I have checked the spec (15 40 etc) . Is there a preferred brand that owners use?

I found this . It is mineral based cf. It seems to meet the spec. Has anybody used it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unipart-15W40-Mineral-Engine-Motor-Oil-PROM100-5-Litre/221996992141?rt=nc&_soffid=100&_soffType=SaleAndClearence&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Thanks

Tony

This is from their manual so they don't seam to fussed about the spec of the oil within the area they lay down. Note they say minimum CF not maximum.

"Engine oil: Engine oil quality should have the minimum properties of the American Petroleum Institute “API” classification CF (CD and CE have been superseded by CF). A good quality SAE 15W/40 mineral based multigrade oil as used in most car diesel engines will meet requirements. An acceptable alternative are mineral based lubricating oils that are sometimes called semi-synthetic (or ‘synthetic blends’) and are blends of mineral oil with no more than 30% synthetic oil."

It looks as though Morris Lubricants have dropped their 15w-40 and replaced it with a 10w-40. Their web site states, the new oil is for canal boats, this has the correct amount of additive for non turbo engines and replaces the 15w-40. Barrus Shire oil has also changed, giving the same details as the Morris 10w-40. Probably the same oil but marketed as Barrus Shire.

My cans of this stuff have come today and at this price and only 3.75 to deliver all of it its realy a no brainer. Thats the stuff I ordered from the link above at 7.84 for 5 litres.

Tim

Can't be any good Tim, unless it has your engine makers name on the bottle, and costs 40 quid a gallon ;)

Joking aside, I did the same some years ago when Asda had their own branded mineral (actually Mobil oil) and were selling it for ten quid a gallon, but they have stopped slling mineral now. I tend to use Comma these days from our local truck/agricultural place where I get a five for 4 deal. Get my oil filters there too on a brilliant deal.

Me too - from our local motor factor.

Seems to tick all the boxes, and is less half the price of Vetus own oil (which I understand is synthetic anyway.) Still runs and starts beautifully after 4000 hours and 14 years on Asda/Comma oils. Never uses a drop of oil between changes.

I just looked on the Morris web page and see its Gold Film at about 30 quid for 5 Lt, my local car accessory shop has it just under 21 quid and the Wilko own brand is just £15

I understand a lot of classic car bods use that. I have seen it in Wilkos and wondered about it. Think one or two on here have used it too.

Seems to tick all the boxes, and is less half the price of Vetus own oil (which I understand is synthetic anyway.) Still runs and starts beautifully after 4000 hours and 14 years on Asda/Comma oils. Never uses a drop of oil between changes.

I understand a lot of classic car bods use that. I have seen it in Wilkos and wondered about it. Think one or two on here have used it too.

I have used it but I think an oil would need to be pretty crap to see a bad effect in 500 hrs. 2 oil changes.

I have used it but I think an oil would need to be pretty crap to see a bad effect in 500 hrs. 2 oil changes.

Yes I think in the case of a canal boat engine that such oils are OK. The vetus interval is 100 hrs! It is doing no serious work anyway at mostly 1200 rpm.