Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
1st ade

A good idea, or not?

Featured Posts

Saw this whilst walking the dog this morning.

post-21957-0-31185900-1479562798_thumb.jpg

Not that I've really got time for any more volunteering (not without instituting divorce proceedings from Mrs 1st Ade) but a good idea for me or not?

I've never owned a boat (although my immediate family has had four in total). We've probably used every hire fleet going and cruised most of the network.

I walk the dog around Wolverton, New Bradwell, Cosgrove, Linford most weeks in all weathers.

So is a volunteer Towpath Ranger the ideal chance to call in all the litter and graffiti and make the canal a better place or is it the time to lose a lot of friends when "Can you check if boat X is still by Bridge 69, he's been there 15 days"

I think if you are walking a stretch of towpath most days and notice things then why not.

I saw the poster and thought that the local volockies had formed a football team.

Suck it and see: give it a try, if you find that you aren't enjoying it or it's not rewarding, well, you won't be under a contract, so you can just walk away from it. If you do like it, couldn't Mrs. 1st Ade go on the walks with you?

Edited by Athy

I saw the poster and thought that the local volockies had formed a football team.

Suck it and see: give it a try, if you find that you aren't enjoying it or it's not rewarding, well, you won't be under a contract, so you can just walk away from it. If you do like it, couldn't Mrs. 1st Ade go on the walks with you?

Mrs 1st Ade does come on the walks - she's very good at pointing out what's wrong (always to me, she'll ask me to ring CRT / The Council / 101 but won't do it herself).

And she has a certain lack of grasp of things practical - she'd probably ring CRT to request that the gates swing the other way so that you don't keep tripping over those awkward bricks set into the floor...

• Greenie 1

I think it would be an absolutely outstanding contribution if you were to volunteer. Folk who truly care and have a pretty good understanding of what they're helping to look after ought to be some of the most ideally suited Rangers. Good on you and good luck to you too!

Give it a go and all the best.

Just be carefull not all boaters are nice people or even approachable just as they are in the real world some have drug and alcahol issues and can be paranoid aggressive.

Sorry to sqwosh your good spirit but i know quite a few people who are this way inclined sadly.

Be carefull i admire the idea.

Edited by Greylady2

Funny but there's a lit underground passage in my area of about 100 feet in length. I noticed the lights have gone out inside. So far no sign of repair although it's recently had a barrier put at each end.

Is that really how they dress?

Hi-viz and lifejacket just for walking a towpath...

Yes it is how they dress. If someone is working alone near water then that is the safe thing to do.

Up here on The Chesterfield we are very well blessed with some lovely Canal Rangers.

They are doing a grand job, they get involved in projects like clearing a feeder, painting bywash fencing and of course the usual litter picking, dog muck marking and generally keeping an eye open for any maintenance issues that need reporting back for CRT to deal with.

The lovely chap that does the section by our boat club usually stops for a cuppa with a member and is so well thought of he gets invited to club events as well.

Yes it is how they dress. If someone is working alone near water then that is the safe thing to do.

Up here on The Chesterfield we are very well blessed with some lovely Canal Rangers.

They are doing a grand job, they get involved in projects like clearing a feeder, painting bywash fencing and of course the usual litter picking, dog muck marking and generally keeping an eye open for any maintenance issues that need reporting back for CRT to deal with.

The lovely chap that does the section by our boat club usually stops for a cuppa with a member and is so well thought of he gets invited to club events as well.

On that basis they'll be handing out lifejackets and hi-viz to dog walkers and fishermen next.

I'm sure that they do a good job, but personally I would not volunteer for a task if I had to go out dressed up like an RNLI crewmember's poor relation...

Why would they hand out life jackets and hi vis vests to private individuals going about their leisure?

A towpath ranger is operating in an official capacity doing a volunteer job for CRT. If CRT did not have their health and safety at heart then I can imagine quite a few people would soon be questioning it.

Personally I am proud to wear my kit when I am volunteering. If I pick up a bit of litter or remove a fishing hook from offside vegetation wearing civvies I am just a member of the public doing a public spirited thing but if I am wearing the kit then I find I get a different reception from other canal users. They are always pleased to see us working and usually have a few respectful words to share at a lock or as we pass.

14595555_1206631602693616_81733500466887

Of course we are poor relations of the RNLI

Most of us have not done anything like the amount of training they have done - nor do we need to, there is very rarely lumpy water on the canal - and Python is not a lifeboat :)

A great picture.

Thank you

That Josher bow is always photogenic and given the setting of such a beautiful canal it is not hard to get a pretty picture :)

Why would they hand out life jackets and hi vis vests to private individuals going about their leisure?

A towpath ranger is operating in an official capacity doing a volunteer job for CRT. If CRT did not have their health and safety at heart then I can imagine quite a few people would soon be questioning it.

Personally I am proud to wear my kit when I am volunteering. If I pick up a bit of litter or remove a fishing hook from offside vegetation wearing civvies I am just a member of the public doing a public spirited thing but if I am wearing the kit then I find I get a different reception from other canal users. They are always pleased to see us working and usually have a few respectful words to share at a lock or as we pass.

14595555_1206631602693616_81733500466887

Of course we are poor relations of the RNLI

Most of us have not done anything like the amount of training they have done - nor do we need to, there is very rarely lumpy water on the canal - and Python is not a lifeboat smile.png

"Why would they hand out life jackets and hi vis vests to private individuals going about their leisure?"

Because, if their risk assessment shows that walking the towpath is a risk, then it is a risk for *everyone*, not just employees and volunteers!

In fact, you might argue that the risk to casual visitors to the canal is higher, as they will not have received the training that CRT employees and volunteers will have received.

Is all this PPE really necessary? Someone must have carried out a risk assessment to show that there was significant risk attached to carrying out the tasks assigned to Towpath Rangers.

I appreciate that the volunteer tasks are not necessarily 100% towpath based, but the job title presumably has some bearing.

The last figure that I can find from CRT says that an estimated 20 million people visited the waterways during 2015:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/11269-annual-report-2015.pdf

I'm assuming that virtually none of these 20 million people were wearing PPE, and also very few of them drowned, so it's difficult to see that the theoretical risk exists in reality.

It could be argued that CRT is acting negligently in seeking to attract unprotected members of the general public into an environment where the wearing of PPE is deemed to be appropriate for employees and volunteers.

As you suggest, the "get-up" is probably about making volunteers more identifiable by the general public.

Obviously you are happy with what you are doing, and long may it be so.

But it is "horses for courses" and personally I would not be happy with going out dressed up like a dog's dinner. Maybe it's a "man thing"...

Sign in to follow this