what is a battery regime ?

14skipper

Featured Posts

on two occasions the batteries were replace because they were "cooking "

Might this be a case of excess charging voltage into sealed batteries. I understand Beta fitted some 14.8 volt domestic alternators and wrecked batteries within a very few months.

So - battery type and charging voltages from both charger and alternator's regulated voltage f we are to go further.

So the charger is a CTEK M300 8 step charger.charging current 25amp charging voltage 14.4v current mains 2.9A rms at full charging current. suitable for 40.500ah

batteries are 110amph 12v powermax sealed units.

the system only fails when on a shoreline.

cooking l ment they were hot and bubbling

So the charger is a CTEK M300 8 step charger.charging current 25amp charging voltage 14.4v current mains 2.9A rms at full charging current. suitable for 40.500ah

batteries are 110amph 12v powermax sealed units.

the system only fails when on a shoreline.

cooking l ment they were hot and bubbling

Sealed batteries are 'bad news' when you are charging / discharging daily. You (ideally) need to be able to view the acid levels on a regular basis and 'top-up' with distilled water.

Anyway - taking one step at a time (you didn't answer this before).

Do the batteries boil and bubble at around the same time as the chargers 'pack-up' ?

Have you replaced the failed chargers with the same models ?

Although I can not find a decent data sheet for those batteries that gives a maximum charging voltage I suspect that 14.4 as the absorption voltage should be fine.

Unfortunately beings sealed one can not look into cells to see if they are all gassing to a similar extent or just the odd one or two. In the former case one would initially suspect too high a charging voltage while in the later case one woudl suspect shorted cells. In the early stages of "cooking" you might be able to feel for hotspots in the cells.

The next question is does the battery charger or any solar you may have do an equalisation charge. If so that will make all the cells gas well and also get hot. It is probably not such a good idea with sealed cells.

Sealed batteries are 'bad news' when you are charging / discharging daily. You (ideally) need to be able to view the acid levels on a regular basis and 'top-up' with distilled water.

Anyway - taking one step at a time (you didn't answer this before).

Do the batteries boil and bubble at around the same time as the chargers 'pack-up' ?

Have you replaced the failed chargers with the same models ?

that's two steps.

The OP seems only able to 'drip feed' information into this thread so one question at a time please!

• Greenie 1

that's two steps.

The OP seems only able to 'drip feed' information into this thread so one question at a time please!

To quote Lao Tzu " a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step", which is usually taken to mean :

... with a single step. even the longest and most difficult ventures have a starting point ...

but, it is fair to say, some journeys do have a difficult start.

Although I will not dispute any of the above posts. As a full time liveaboard I only ever now buy sealed cheap units. I NEVER look at them and this set have been on since jan 14th 2015 so nearly two years old. Still readily charge and hold their charge They are cycled daily but not below 12.2 and on a morning still even with heating running etc show 12.2 under load and thats having used telly all evening, fridge never switched off etc etc. So do not discount sealed batteries they work very very well IF the charging is not too high or too low and any old amp thingy or Bm1/2 or victron jobby tells you that. Of course you need enough battery storage for your particular needs and no two boats will ever be the same.

I am not plugged in and never again will I pee about with battery topping up.

Tim

Here's the full instruction manual (previous one was more of a sales puff). I see it has a 'recon' mode.

"RECOND - This mode is used to recover deep discharged flooded batteries where you could expect a stratified
acid (high acid weight in the bottom, low on top). Check with battery manufacturer when in doubt.
Use this mode with care, because the high voltage will cause some water loss. 16V is normally no problem
for electronics in 12V system. Consult your supplier when in doubt. Life of light bulbs will be reduced at higher
voltage. Try to disconnect light from the battery during this phase. Maximum effect and minimum risk for
electronics is achieved by charging a disconnected battery."

Although I can not find a decent data sheet for those batteries that gives a maximum charging voltage I suspect that 14.4 as the absorption voltage should be fine.

Unfortunately beings sealed one can not look into cells to see if they are all gassing to a similar extent or just the odd one or two. In the former case one would initially suspect too high a charging voltage while in the later case one woudl suspect shorted cells. In the early stages of "cooking" you might be able to feel for hotspots in the cells.

The next question is does the battery charger or any solar you may have do an equalisation charge. If so that will make all the cells gas well and also get hot. It is probably not such a good idea with sealed cells.

previous batteries were off a wet cell type

Sorry again not sure what "do a equalisation charge" means

this is the second one of these chargers l have had,previous one was total different unit cannot remember details.

the charger now being used was purchased at the same time as the batteries.

If 14skipper is a 14 skipper, that is, ''International 14 or GP 14 sailing dinghies'' it beats me how he finds room for all these batteries, chargers and panels and stuff. If he has a capsize, odds on chance if its an Inter 14 which is a very hairy, tippy boat he'd lose the bloomin lot.

Sorry again not sure what "do a equalisation charge" means

I assume from that question that you haven't bothered to read the post I linked to above. It appears to be a waste of time trying to help you if you won't help yourself.

Post #9

I assume from that question that you haven't bothered to read the post I linked to above. It appears to be a waste of time trying to help you if you won't help yourself.

Post #9

Sorry but i did read it,l am also sorry that l do not understand it.

if only we all were so clever,we would not need to come on here and ask for your help.

Will not make the same mistake again

Edited by 14skipper

On the internet you can be whatever you want to be, the trick is remembering what you have said.

He (?) maybe a banned member with a new alias who wants to start a discussion that always generates a difference of opinions.

Alternatively, he may have a very, very, long landline.

He's been a member for 5 years.

Your battery charger seems to call the normally accepted term "equalisation" "Recond". It is a short period of ellivated voltage that is supposed to stir the acid in the sells up and remix it. This should not be necessary for batteries that are being USED and charged at frequent intervals. A side effect of equalisation is that the higher voltage also may improve the battery chemicals so it will store a little more electricity.

Twice now you have just said "I do not understand". This does not help you unless you are specific in what you do not understand. If you tell us we will try to explain it.

I would also mention that the link mross gave seems to contain some questionable claims but it is a fair explanation of the devices operation and will do for normal battery charging.

l really can see why people have stopped using this site.

I come on here for advice and get accused of being a "troll " and using a false identify.l have done nothing but ask a question.

And because l do not understand all of the answers and info you choice to belittle me.

yes l have been a mole for 5yrs hiding for five years just waiting to ask about my batteries

Unbelievable.

Well shame on you.

Edited by 14skipper

I'm very sorry you feel that way. But you came here asking for advice and then fail to answer 90% of the questions. And then you are rude to me and others who are only trying to help you in our free time at no expense to you.

I really do want to offer advice. I have 40 years of technical experience but would defer to many on here who have experience more relevant to canal boats.

Please think about this and don't post in anger. Wait for 24 hours. I don't know why we all seem to lose our manners when we post. This is not a free-for-all like the comments on the Daily Mail.

l really can see why people have stopped using this site.

I come on here for advice and get accused of being a "troll " and using a false identify.l have done nothing but ask a question.

And because l do not understand all of the answers and info you choice to belittle me.

yes l have been a mole for 5yrs hiding for five years just waiting to ask about my batteries

Unbelievable.

Well shame on you.

Responding with 'attitude' when you can't be bothered to respond to questions asked is the reason you are suspected of being a doppel.

What do you expect us to think?

No-one is belittling you, just irritated at your failure to engage properly.

And your comment about waiting for five years to ask about your battery problem doesn't really hold water either does it?!

There is another discussion forum where you can ask questions and get sensible answers. If you have followed one of the links given you will have already been there, however it is probably not suited to your style because of question and responses I suspect that you will get some very direct replies with no moderators to protect you.

Let's start from the beginning and try and assist the OP. The question was, "what is a battery regime?"

A regime is an orderly way of doing things.

A battery regime is an orderly way of looking after one's batteries. The intention is to get the best use and life from them. Each boater will develop a system that works for him, increasingly this will involve solar power. Living in a marina one can connect to shore and rely on a marine battery charger plus a solar system to look after the batteries. Outside a marina, the boater will need a generator or the engine alternator to charge his batteries if the sunshine is not available. Another part of the regime will be to make sure the batteries are not discharged below 50 - 60% and get charged to 100% as often as possible.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/ contains a wealth of info for the OP to study if he wishes.

Edited by mross