Father Christmas. Can I have... (woodwork router)

Featured Posts

Martyn,

I have a route which my dad bought from Machine Mart a month before he died. It's still unused in the box. He bought it to make the tool drawers for his 1937 Armstrong Siddeley, Siddeley Special. I've taken over restoring the car. If you were prepared to make the drawers, I will give you this router, if you want it. It's a Clarke one, not sure what model though but can check later (It's in Solihull) If you want it. There might be some cutting bits to go with it, but unlike the router, as I don't keep tripping over them, I'm not 100% sure.

Message me if interested.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Message sent.

stewpid langwidge. frusty.gif

one is a rooter, the other is a rowter.

why do we continue to use a written langwidge that is not fonetic?

Turkey adopted western alphabet and script when the Ottoman empire collapsed, which gave them the chance to start again, and now every Turkish word is spelt phonetically.

I have heard it said that "rowter" was originally the way it was pronounced for the machine in the USA and we adopted it here. I have also heard it said that what we call a "rooter" is pronounced as "rowter" in some parts of the USA. No idea if there is any truth in this, cos I have never bin to't USA. It does seem plausible to me though, as dialect does affect such words. I put my "Gansey" on during this cold weather, but the original and proper pronunciation is "Guernsey."

Don't even get me started on Winding/wennin'/ warndin' holes :)

Still no explanation as to why the title was added to.

Daniel amended it and posted that he had amended the title earlier in the thread.

I have heard it said that "rowter" was originally the way it was pronounced for the machine in the USA and we adopted it here. I have also heard it said that what we call a "rooter" is pronounced as "rowter" in some parts of the USA. No idea if there is any truth in this, cos I have never bin to't USA. It does seem plausible to me though, as dialect does affect such words. I put my "Gansey" on during this cold weather, but the original and proper pronunciation is "Guernsey."

Don't even get me started on Winding/wennin'/ warndin' holes smile.png

The Americans do use rowter, confused me first time I sat in a meeting where network routers were being discussed, I thought they were going to be machining fancy shelves.

Edited by Rob-M

Daniel amended it and posted that he had amended the title earlier in the thread.

The Americans do use rowter, confused me first time I sat in a meeting where network routers were being discussed, I thought they were going to be machining fancy shelves.

I hadn't seen that confession.

I never made the connection.

Thanks cheers.gif

I hadn't until I read it somewhere. We had "Jerseys" of course that we wore, and it seems they had "Guernseys" at sea. Over the years it became "Gansey" but this is still widely used where I live. Not sure about other areas?

Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose we should call the wood machine a rooter then! In the days of hand router planes, did we say "rowter" or "rooter" plane? I can't recall.

SWMBO's from Ireland and it's in common use there.

That could explain a lot. My Grandmother was Irish and used the term. A lot of Irish people came to Merseyside/Lancashire, so maybe that is the explanation. I find dialects fascinating.

Looks

Hi,

I see B&Q are doing routers at a 2 week 'Black Friday' discount price. Quite a good Bosh router at around £77 - add in the 'wrinkly' discount it becomes quite a reasonable buy -

L

Homebase have the Bosch for £65.95. Black Friday deals are mainly a marketing ploy and not very often the cheapest price.

Hi,

I see B&Q are doing routers at a 2 week 'Black Friday' discount price. Quite a good Bosh router at around £77 - add in the 'wrinkly' discount it becomes quite a reasonable buy -

L

I believe wrinkly cards aren't applicable for sale bargains, but I may be mistaken (as usual laugh.png )