Bow Fenders

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

I choose to make a distinction between touching (which I do often) and striking (which I strive never to do) a lock gate. But then I have improper fenders, drive an improper boat, and live on my own continuum (so another forum member told me). And I am tight, at least in narrow canals. biggrin.png

NC

If you have fridge on your boat then it must surely suggest that you re a hippocrite . Its purpose it is to extend the usefulness of consumable items isn t it ? .

If you have gone to the expense of installing and running a fridge to extend the life of a 50 pence pint of milk then you can hardly criticize someone for looking to extend the life of a £50 fender .

• Greenie 1

I take it neither do CRT or BW before them then if you are saying the Byelaw is wrong?

If you are going to get wedged in them, well probably best not to use them.

ETA On the use of fenders:

"6. Every vessel navigated on any canal shall have ready for immediate use proper fenders of suitable material and in good
condition and the master of such vessel shall use such fenders whenever there is a risk of the vessel striking against any other vessel or against any wall, lockgate, bridge or other thing."
What counts as a proper fender?
Is a tyre a proper fender?

Nice bit of side stepping NC. As you know mine is a proper fender that happens to have a tyre around it.

I don't get wedged in locks, however in keeping with many NB's it is a close fit in some. Hurleston CRT signs instruct one to remove side fenders before entering for example. I note you haven't addressed this issue re. the sides touching?

I really don't know why I help you to dig yourself into these holes. You are on a hiding to nothing as you don't have the relevant experience to debate these issues. Watch and learn by all means.

I choose to make a distinction between touching (which I do often) and striking (which I strive never to do) a lock gate. But then I have improper fenders, drive an improper boat, and live on my own continuum (so another forum member told me). And I am tight, at least in narrow canals. biggrin.png

Exactly.

Maureen Shore who was the lock keeper for many years on the Wardle arm, and a working boat person prior to that, always used to insist on going right to the front of the lock, otherwise the rising water would take the boat forwards and hit the gates.

You obviously have no experience or concept of a long, say 70 foot narrowboat in a lock. I suggest you stop pontificating on things beyond your knowledge and understanding.

I tend to agree. ps love the word "pontificating." Not used enoughh these days.

Edited by Guest

NC

If you have fridge on your boat then it must surely suggest that you re a hippocrite . Its purpose it is to extend the usefulness of consumable items isn t it ? .

If you have gone to the expense of installing and running a fridge to extend the life of a 50 pence pint of milk then you can hardly criticize someone for looking to extend the life of a £50 fender .

Good point. Also there are environmental issues involved. We have become a terrible "throw away" society.

Sorry with statements like that, I feel I can no longer post any thing to this forum that would be of use/helpful to this site. Best of luck, . Bye.

It took you a while to find that out, but at least now you know who is able to tell you how silly you've been during your NB working days wink.png

Peter.

It took you a while to find that out, but at least now you know who is able to tell you how silly you've been during your NB working days wink.png

Peter.

Indeed! rolleyes.gif

It is a shame though when members of X Alan W's caliber with lots of experience to offer are driven away in this manner. The forum will be poorer for it.

Oh I don't know

NC is having a whole lot of fun winding narrowboat (sewertube) owners up and is succeeding admirably with her silly statements

Alan, I'm afraid, has fallen for it

He hasn't been driven away

Oh I don't know

NC is having a whole lot of fun winding narrowboat (sewertube) owners up and is succeeding admirably with her silly statements

I'm pretty sure that Alan doesn't see this, as you call "fun of winding narrowboat (sewertube) owners up" the same way as you seem to do.

He is a man of experience, more then willing to let others benefit from his many years of REAL experience, and this sort of (mis)behaviour will not help to motivate him to continue giving useful advise that would have been very interesting to many serious forummembers.

Peter.

Oh I don't know

Oh I don't know

There are a few flamers on every forum I go on (some non boating) no doubt about that. Very tiresome though. It would never shift me, but I can understand those who simply CBA and clear off.

Edited by Guest