Uxbridge boat centre. Need some opinions

Rebeccas Mum

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As I prefer to collect in person so I can see what I am buying on the odd occasion I have been there they seem a knowledgeable, helpful bunch. But them most chandlers are face to face.

OOH.  Face to face. With masks on, I hope !

16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If they have the light fittings at the back of a storeroom I’d be on my way to view and pay and collect. They are obsolete fittings but I had heard they have some. I can’t email as the address I have doesn’t go through. I will call. I’m reluctant to call as I won’t get an instant decision as to whether they have any or not. Plus I can’t describe the items clearly over the phone. I have been misunderstood. Not for the first time.

Are they not 2d light fittings.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I can’t email as the address I have doesn’t go through. I will call. I’m reluctant to call as I won’t get an instant decision as to whether they have any or not. Plus I can’t describe the items clearly over the phone.

Ring them and get a correct email address so you can send them photos.

Simples ...

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Tangentially off topic but:

I think there comes a time with obsolete stuff where one needs to mull possible solutions over so they can be replaced with readily available units. It might mean making wooden masking plate for the hole (looks like a flush inset fitting) and using a different type of light or, now with 12V strip LEDs are  available,  it could mean modifying the existing units unless they have physically broken.

The units I’d like to replace are broken due to brittle plastic syndrome. The remaining ones I have converted to LED. We have a couple of units that have replaced some of the broken units. I’d just like to have ‘all the same’.

85E4F9C1-6C13-4AF4-87FE-AADD01014E76.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But you walk past a pub to get to it, whichever bridge you go over

Yes. Uxbridge is my old stomping ground, and I seem to remember the General Elliot, and the Dolphin. The Elliot was always a bit posher, and we used the Dolphin, can't remember which is closer, after all it it was 50 years ago!!

3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes. Uxbridge is my old stomping ground, and I seem to remember the General Elliot, and the Dolphin. The Elliot was always a bit posher, and we used the Dolphin, can't remember which is closer, after all it it was 50 years ago!!

You go past the Dolphin to get to the General Elliot from Uxbridge Boats. There is or was a pub by the bridge at the other end of Waterloo Road

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

You go past the Dolphin to get to the General Elliot from Uxbridge Boats. There is or was a pub by the bridge at the other end of Waterloo Road

The Dolphin is next to the canal Bridge. It was where my friend had his Stag Night in 1968 (I think) I was his Best Man and had to be the one staying sober as someone had to get the boat back to our mooring below Uxbridge lock when the festivities ended.

Edited by David Schweizer

23 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

The Dolphin is next to the canal Bridge. It was where my friend had his Stag Night in 1968 (I think) I was his Best Man and had to be the one staying sober as someone had to get the boat back to our mooring beow Uxbridge lock when the festivities ended.

I think the other pub was The Lord Haig.

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Now found that it was actually called the Lord Hill and closed in 2010 and is now a takeaway

Ah yes. Wasn't that on Cowley mill Road? like the Dolphin it was another former Harmans pub, never went in it though. If I got that far out of Uxbridge I would carry on to the Shovel by Cowley Lock.

Edited by David Schweizer

5 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Ah yes. Wasn't that on Cowley mill Road? like the Dolphin it was another former Harmans pub, never went in it though. If I got that far out of Uxbridge I would carry on to the Shovel by Cowley Lock.

Yes it was