External fuel tank

mm31516

Featured Posts

Hi. Just back from looking at a boat and thinking of making an offer. However, this particular boat has its' fuel tank in a thick plastic container on the stern deck. Haven't seen that before and wondered if anyone else had? Should I be concerned about this? Is it hazardous in any way? Also, is fuel theft a problem on our waterways? Any advice much appreciated.

I wonder if the integral diesel tank - assuming it has one - has perforated and leaks, hence another tank.

If petrol then I think there are strict rules concerning the max capacity for a plastic tank for good reason.

I think this needs further investigation and checking against the BSS check list as regards how it is fixed, from what it is made, is it certified, fuel used and how spilage is contained/diverted away from the boat interior etc.

Look, it's a bodge up. Once you've found one, you've found the boat of Mr Barney Bodger. It may be a nice home despite the many bodges the keen eye will find, but what of the hidden ones even the keen eye won't yet see? And what will become of the buyer without the keen eye? My view is, once you've found evidence that Barney Bodger's been at work, move on.

If it was me I would keep looking for a boat for all of the reasons given above

I think he needs to give more info, both to this Topic and his last, as he tends to ask the question and fails to respond to questions with more information that is needed to get the bigger picture.

Edited by Northernboater