Handover On Sunday--- Questions to ask?

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

We are picking up our new boat, presently called Charlotte May, on Sunday and are meeting with the owner for a handover. He has owned the boat from new and has meticulous records (4xA4 Binders) full of everything. The survey was absolutely fine mar the odd one or two minor things but the surveyor was generally impressed by the condition. We have a few things we want to ask but, as this is our first boat, is there anything specific anyone thinks we should be asking. I know, at the end of the day, we have had the survey, paid the balance and complete tomorrow so we have obviously made up our minds but I don't want to miss an opportuntity because I am ignorant of the fact. Many thanks

Have you got a list of things to do when you leave the boat and when you come back to it? Do you know where all the switches and valves are and what they do? Do you know how to use the inverter, solar panels, battery monitor etc? Have you got the original bill of sale? Have you got the previous owner's email or phone number in case you need advice? That's all I can think of.

My previous owner left his number and I had to call him about:

- stern gland greaser (this is important)

- switch for water pump

- did he put in any anti-freeze

Think that's it. He gave me walk though of the boat which helped a lot...

Edit: Paul is right. I didn't do this.

Edited by Jak

mross is absolutely right, you have to know where to find all the switches and valves and what they do. Other items too; last year on paulmeds' boat we had quite a search for the shower pump before finding it hidden under a panel at the bottom of a cupboard.

Also identify which fuse is for which lights and other items. On last month's trip hackenbush and I took each of his 12V fuses out in turn (only do this one at a time and remember where it came from!) to work out what each controlled, but one or two of them remained a mystery.

Ask if there's any leftover paint. You might get a scrape and want to do a touch-up.

Take photos - especially of those valves and items hidden away - photos of things in the OFF position then again in the ON position.

"Everybody" has a mobile or a camera nowadays with a movie option. Charge up the batteries and let 'em roll.

Even if you're not an ace photographer - the commentary will help.

Point 'n shoot.

• Greenie 1

Is there a bilge pump over ride,,are they auto or manual, battery maintenance what has worked in the past to keep batteries healthy. Tips for winter keeping warm, what is the ventilation like and what has he done in past to reduce condensation , but keep warm.Best way to use heat systems, do you do anything different to keep fire in etc. fire and co1 alarms and when were batteries changed. Where is the gas spanner.Do you know best way to move bottles of gas, and change them.Any tips on changing the filters and where are they.Take a photo of any trip switches and flashing bulbs to look at again if something changes

Edited by Timx

I would ask

• what's the typical amount of water etc in the various bilges (cabin, engine, stern tube).
  • how often and for how long does he run the bilge pump
  • keys (eg BW, doors, engine etc), including any left with the boatyard for safe keeping
  • water and shower pump, where they are and how to maintain them
  • have you agreed if ropes. windlasses, pins etc are included?

On the fuse point, for some reason our main lighting circuit goes round in a ring, with a 20A fuse at each end. So pull the fuses out one by one - no effect!

Have fun!

Jak post 4 has hit the nail on the head, make sure you get the vendors permission to give him/her a call or two over the next few weeks.

Our boat owners (1st or 3rd time owners, makes no difference) can always come straight back to us if they wish, but there is nothing better than current owners feed back and advice.

Does the boat have a solid fuel stove or diesel refleks type thing . If the latter be sure to know how to work it . If the former make sure you dont set off without fuel , kindling etc for it .

Obvious probably but sitting there on day one of your new boat freezing your bits off cos you ve no coal or wood would be grim !

cheers

Thanks for all the suggestions. They have left 4 binders detailing everything since they comissioned it plus a 4 page inventory of all they are leaving, including loads of spare parts, oil, paint, coal, (even kindling sticks), 4 thetford cassettes, tools, loads of keys all labelled, dozens of travel books, even some games, a full tank of diesel, etc. All we have had to buy is bedding and towels. We have one of those minicam recorders so we thought we would take that and, if he doesn't mind, we can video and record what he says. Other than that we are just EXCITED!!!! crazy at our age but hey, we are all children at heartclapping.gif

Things that caught us out when we took over Grace

1. Mains battery charger left on which made inverter very hot when we tried it.

2. Inverter giving out 180V at 80hz ( prevoius owners hairdryer and old tv fine but out new TV and breadmaker not fine)

3. Gap between water filler and tank spigot.

4. Sofa bed couldn't be easily be turned through 90 to use as a bed.

Moving into a new boat has a steep learning curve, just take things slow and don't assume the previous owner did things the way you would. Take nothing for granted, check all switches etc in the right place before turning anything on.

Top Cat

They have left 4 binders detailing everything since they comissioned it plus a 4 page inventory of all they are leaving, including loads of spare parts, oil, paint, coal, (even kindling sticks), 4 thetford cassettes, tools, loads of keys all labelled, dozens of travel books, even some games, a full tank of diesel, etc.

That's a helluva good start and a real indication that the boat was well cared for. Of course, it doesn't guarantee how proficient the previous owner was, but at least he was interested!

Have a great day on Sunday, Numpty.

It's great to see all the money the PO has spent on lovingly caring for the boat. I've similar binders going back 15 years. It's also a clue to what you will be doing ove the next few years!

Good luck with the new boat. I know just how you feel.

Great posts, have a good day on Sunday Numpty.

That was us 7 years ago (!) and the only thing we would like to add is be aware and know where the right size spanners are, and maybe a lever, for tightening the alternator belts should they start to squeal.

Think I cruised past your new boat last week, looks lovely, I wish you many happy years :-) Don't know if you are planning on moving south after taking possession but I think (not positive mind you) that the Buckby flight is shut for a week or so. Check the CRT stoppages.

PS Do you have a friend who works in Wendover? Was chatting to a lovely lady there who had a friend who was buying a boat from Crick and I'm just putting 2 and 2 together and making 5....

Think I cruised past your new boat last week, looks lovely, I wish you many happy years :-) Don't know if you are planning on moving south after taking possession but I think (not positive mind you) that the Buckby flight is shut for a week or so. Check the CRT stoppages.

PS Do you have a friend who works in Wendover? Was chatting to a lovely lady there who had a friend who was buying a boat from Crick and I'm just putting 2 and 2 together and making 5....

Thanks for the comments & heads up but no sorry don't know anyone who works in Wendover....