Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Richard T

What is a banter??

Featured Posts

For the benefit of new members I thought it a good idea to describe a banter. They may then be moved to come to one. so here goes.

A banter is a gathering of forum members at which there will be a chance to meet other members face to face rather than simply over the internet. They usually take place in friendly venues where alcholic and other beverages and food are available like a pub. We are generally a social bunch who have a common love of the inland waterways and boats of the world. We come from all walks of life but are linked by this common interest.

There may be occasions when canal related goods are for sale - usually Cheshire Rose selling goodies on behalf of the Chesterfield Canal Society. But there is no obligation to purchase!!

We welcome new members - you will son get to know people so don't be afraid we don't bite - come and join us and have a good evenings fun.

The next banter is in Loughborough on 30th December at a really good pub with a Travel Lodge only a few minutes walk away. There is also one the best preserved railways in the town and bit of canal as well. Others will say a good selection of charity shopsand market to peruse.

We look forward to meeting you all.

For the benefit of new members I thought it a good idea to describe a banter. They may then be moved to come to one. so here goes.

A banter is a gathering of forum members at which there will be a chance to meet other members face to face rather than simply over the internet. They usually take place in friendly venues where alcholic and other beverages and food are available like a pub. We are generally a social bunch who have a common love of the inland waterways and boats of the world. We come from all walks of life but are linked by this common interest.

There may be occasions when canal related goods are for sale - usually Cheshire Rose selling goodies on behalf of the Chesterfield Canal Society. But there is no obligation to purchase!!

We welcome new members - you will son get to know people so don't be afraid we don't bite - come and join us and have a good evenings fun.

The next banter is in Loughborough on 30th December at a really good pub with a Travel Lodge only a few minutes walk away. There is also one the best preserved railways in the town and bit of canal as well. Others will say a good selection of charity shopsand market to peruse.

Thanks for that Richard,does One have to arrive on a small 2 stroke Motorcycle manufactured by BSA?

CT

Following on from said banters have been at least 1 wedding and numerous long term relationships, you never know what may happen

One of the things I like about banters is the different ways people travel to get there. Some by car, some by train, and some will travel for days to come by boat. Its all rather grand really

One of the things I like about banters is the different ways people travel to get there. Some by car, some by train, and some will travel for days to come by boat. Its all rather grand really

I was a bit peeved when they wouldn't let me tie up my Camel in the Admiral Nelson car park.

I was a bit peeved when they wouldn't let me tie up my Camel in the Admiral Nelson car park.

Not worth getting the hump over!
  • Greenie 1

Not worth getting the hump over!

Just when Carl think's he's served an ace Alan pulls out a stunning back-hand return.

So to summarise, it's a piss up.

Something else to note is that however much reliable locals of the pub in question make clear that we will drink the bar dry, they never manage to have enough ale in.

I understand on a first banter how they may be skeptical, but to still come up short next time after we've proven the fact is just lame.

The notable exception to this is the Samuel Barlow, who never lets you down. :)

• Greenie 1

The IWA festival is on the Erewash next year. Maybe, if banterers are visiting, a slight detour 2 hours up the cut may be in order to Langley Mill, for a cheeky fringe festival / Mini banter?......... Now we are running the boatyard............ :)

Dan

Following on from said banters have been at least 1 wedding and numerous long term relationships, you never know what may happen

And some really great friendships too

And some great helpful advice. As well as looking after boatloads of sick when someone infected all with the dreaded Gnosall Lurgy! We have made many friends and had many thoroughly enjoyable evenings. I just wish we could get to them more often

No obligation at all.... in any shape or form ......... but

So to summarise, it's a piss up.

Once your resistance is lowered ............

:)

26 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

So when and where is the next 'Banter'? :)

Might have to bring the trike if the current Status Quo becomes....ermmm....the Status Quo :wacko:

You could do a lot worse than come to the historic boat gathering at Alvecote. The Samuel Barlow Pub is run by a landlord who is passionate about boating.

http://www.alvecotemarina.co.uk/pub/

Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Fri, Aug 25, 2017 5:00pm17:00 Mon, Aug 28, 2017 6:00pm18:00

The Annual Historic Boat Gathering will take place over the August Bank Holiday Weekend. The Marina will host some 50 historic boats which will compete to win the coveted Les Lapworth Award for the best turned out boat. Every day at 2 pm, there will be a parade of boats, together with entertaining commentary and the steerers will compete for the Boat Handler's Award, which is judged by the audience on the quality of the turn outside the front of the pub. It's always a great weekend!

Edited by Ray T

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

You could do a lot worse than come to the historic boat gathering at Alvecote. The Samuel Barlow Pub is run by a landlord who is passionate about boating.

http://www.alvecotemarina.co.uk/pub/

Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Fri, Aug 25, 2017 5:00pm17:00 Mon, Aug 28, 2017 6:00pm18:00

The Annual Historic Boat Gathering will take place over the August Bank Holiday Weekend. The Marina will host some 50 historic boats which will compete to win the coveted Les Lapworth Award for the best turned out boat. Every day at 2 pm, there will be a parade of boats, together with entertaining commentary and the steerers will compete for the Boat Handler's Award, which is judged by the audience on the quality of the turn outside the front of the pub. It's always a great weekend!

Fantastic...that looks to be in my timeframe....may be on the trike given location and work commitments but looks spot on :cheers:

1 minute ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Fantastic...that looks to be in my timeframe....may be on the trike given location and work commitments but looks spot on :cheers:

I'll be there on the Sunday, I don't have a historic boat but I have a historic boat captain I usually bring along.

This is him age 11.

Mike + dog.JPG

• Greenie 1