Fore Cabins

Chris-B

Featured Posts

Following on from a chat with friends in the pub last night, I was asked a question that I admit I didn't know the answer to !

( see I don't know everything LOL )

-

If a motor or a butty had a fore cabin added would it have had its own stove ? and how would the cabin be laid out ?

my thoughts were it just had 2 sorts of side beds BUT I cannot remember where that idea sprang from

Chris

In this somewhat sad picture the late Alan Brown stands amidst a selection of fore cabins on ex FMC horse boats. The cabins had access from the hold via full height doors, there was a slide in the roof and a collar for a bottle stove. accommodation was just two benches. Very basic. There were no front opening doors on these.

gallery_5000_522_12695.jpg

• Greenie 1

They were generally heated by Finrads supplied by the Eberspacher / Mikuni / Webasto.......

(Sorry, Chris!....)

There were a few tragedies recorded of deaths in fore cabins presumably from CO poisoning.

Or, (if these days, and given the state of some top gates), maybe from drowning!

Here's an image of Ilford (on the right) with a forecabin and a stove - you can just see the chimney on the forecabin.

Although interestingly Ilford doesn't have a stove in the forecabin. Instead, there's a larger log burner in the cratch area (with a camp bed) and the flue heads up at a slight angle through the cabin, to exit through the forecabin chimney. There is a bed taking up the full area inside. It measures about 5'5" from inside the stempost to the bulkhead. I know that because I'm 5'6" tall!

Very much not a traditional arrangement, but more spacious for the kind of boating the boat does now.

On this tco cabins were alot bigger with more space and set out more like a back cabin. - the table cupboard.

Only access was from the front at the hatch, no access from hold.

Small stove but normally a little bigger than the fmc ones.

Edited by billybobbooth