Galvanic isolator

wullie

Featured Posts

Most isolators are easy to diy fit BUT most boats do not have clear/logical/safe wiring. We have all done a short-term fix at some time, forgetting the consequences.

I would therefore strongly recommend that you get a competant marine sparks to fit it.

Most isolators are easy to diy fit BUT most boats do not have clear/logical/safe wiring. We have all done a short-term fix at some time, forgetting the consequences.

I would therefore strongly recommend that you get a competant marine sparks to fit it.

Wise words.

Tim

Obviously if the op is not completely happy then getting someone may be sensible.

But I think your being somewhat alarmist with your sweeping statement that implies all boats are electrically complex or poorly wired and beyond the wit of Diyers. The link Tony provided has a GI that requires no tools or electrical knowledge whatsoever to fit.

Hello to one and all... Just joined the website as I am hoping to to be the happy owner of a nice shiny ship in the next week or so.. Here in lies my question that hopefully you nice people will be able to assist with... I will be getting a Galvanic Isolator fitted once I have bought said boat.. Am due to be moored initially for the winter in a marina.. Might not be able to synchronise the timings and might not have said instrument by the time I sail into my new home.. Will this start causing immediate damage to the hull as soon as I connect the shoreline.. Assuming it works?? He has never used it (the shoreline, that is)!!!

Hello to one and all... Just joined the website as I am hoping to to be the happy owner of a nice shiny ship in the next week or so.. Here in lies my question that hopefully you nice people will be able to assist with... I will be getting a Galvanic Isolator fitted once I have bought said boat.. Am due to be moored initially for the winter in a marina.. Might not be able to synchronise the timings and might not have said instrument by the time I sail into my new home.. Will this start causing immediate damage to the hull as soon as I connect the shoreline.. Assuming it works?? He has never used it (the shoreline, that is)!!!

Short answer - you'll be fine. :)

• 2 weeks later...