Alternator Problems

Kraken

Featured Posts

Well thanks for trying anyway. I've taken the alternator back to the rebuilder, so he's got that close up but obviously the boat is still at a distance. He recons there should be battery voltage across b+ b- before excitation and no voltage at IND. What should it be? He thinks the regulator is at fault. If that's correct, where can I find a new one? I also have a cast rectangular CAV remote regulator with terminals - A WL F +Hi +MED and +LO if you recognise that description. Would that be a good replacement for the one on the back of the alternator or is it more like an Adverc type device?

Well thanks for trying anyway. I've taken the alternator back to the rebuilder, so he's got that close up but obviously the boat is still at a distance. He recons there should be battery voltage across b+ b- before excitation and no voltage at IND. What should it be? He thinks the regulator is at fault. If that's correct, where can I find a new one? I also have a cast rectangular CAV remote regulator with terminals - A WL F +Hi +MED and +LO if you recognise that description. Would that be a good replacement for the one on the back of the alternator or is it more like an Adverc type device?

Don't spend too much rebuilding a knackered alternator. We did this at the back end of last year and ended up replacing the alternator anyway.

They are not that expensive to buy new ones.

Don't spend too much rebuilding a knackered alternator. We did this at the back end of last year and ended up replacing the alternator anyway.

I suspect an AC5 may be - even if you can get a new one. Probably far more robust than any modern alternator.

Thanks for that. I'm beginning to think you're right. But it's an old alternator that I don't think is available for a like for like replacement. I was hoping to repair the old one to avoid inevitable required modifications to the mechanical electrical installation.

Thanks for that. I'm beginning to think you're right. But it's an old alternator that I don't think is available for a like for like replacement. I was hoping to repair the old one to avoid inevitable required modifications to the mechanical electrical installation.

In that case I think a PM to Sir N and then possibly a road trip to take it to him and collect it again - if he is willing to overhaul it.