GLA suing to evict London Marina

NigelMoore

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, NigelMoore said:

That’s a turn-up for the books – none of the Chinese consortiums with which Khan was flirting, instead, a UK company.

I wonder how much should be read into “working on this project with the local community”, and whether that possibly includes the existing marina operators. At least they have undertaken large scale waterfront developments previously, although I do not know how far that incorporated water uses and boating facilities.

I haven’t been able to discover what has been going on respecting Leigh-Jayne’s struggles.

Al a bit of a co-incidence as I was only there on a photographic expedition on Sunday!

gwm.JPG

I don't know if it helps, but I see two sides lined up to fight in Court. The GLA with the figure-head of the Mayor representing millions people of London and Gallion fighting for themselves.

The judge is a legal animal and is bound by facts and strict legal argument, whereas the Mayor is a political animal and will respond to media pressure.

And since it is the 'mayor' forcing the issue,  a bad public opinion through the media of the way the 'little man' is being treated by the GLA could put enough pressure on the mayor to seek an outcome favorable to Gallion. 

• 1 year later...

Update from Leigh-Jayne today –

The company (Gallions Point Marina Ltd) has NO court orders against it whatsoever. They effectively illegally closed the company down today and moved themselves into OUR office which contains private paperwork etc and were asking my staff for the passwords to our computers.

My father has terminal cancer and was supposed to have a planning scan at Barts for the last few shots of radiotherapy which are to help with his immediate symptoms but are not any kind of cure, as they had informed us both on Monday (the day before this horrific attack by the Mayor of London) that  they cannot help him and his care is now palliative only. Due to the events on Tuesday I was unable to attend with him & Dad of course missed his scan.

Although thankfully Dad was not there to witness it all, it was an ENORMOUS shock for him to be told what was happening over the phone & he is now in Barts with renal failure so it's likely he will pass away imminently. The Bailiffs would not permit me to collect my purse/bank cards or anything. I was also denied my medication which I have relied on for the past 23 years which I'm medically advised not to stop abruptly as they are Opiates to treat my chronic Osteoarthritis. Because I have no money & literally was thrown out of my business and home with only the clothes I stood up in I have not been able to visit Dad yet. I have only just managed to charge my phone. I am also unable to collect anything for Dad that he may need in hospital as my key for Dad's house is at the marina & they would not let me pick up ANY of my personal belongings, not even a change of clothes or a toothbrush etc. 

They also bruised my arm which is now turning a nice shade of purple, but was entirely unnecessary as I was not pushing against them at all. It's just a bruise but so very over-the-top of them. The dogs and 'stormtroopers' were too. Apparently they have been threatening customers with the dogs and I have recorded telephone conversations with customers who explained how they're being treated by these thugs.”

Our business hijacked and our customers stolen and me made homeless in an illegal eviction without notice on the orders of the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan - a former human rights lawyer. Make of that what you will.”

Why enforcement officers would believe their remit extended to probing the contents of the firm’s computers is beyond me. It is also uncharacteristic of reputable legitimate officers to refuse to allow personal belongings – most especially medication – to be taken away. Regardless of what one may think of the legitimacy of the operation otherwise, if what Leigh-Jayne describes as happening is accurate then these people have behaved in a despicable and unlawful fashion. Quite unlike the firm but scrupulous and compassionate behaviour shown in the TV documentaries following High Court Enforcement officers.

• Sad 1

Leigh-Jayne has posted a response to detractors on YBW Forum –

Indeed it was a dump. But successive government agencies were to blame for that. I wonder what those insulting our family business and applauding its' closure on this thread would have been able to produce given the same circumstances? How would they have conjured up the enormous investment required for such a large project on the short-term leases we were granted? We did our very best & ploughed every penny of our savings into the marina. We worked hard seven days a week for 27 years. As for 'didn't have a clue' - my father has over 40 years experience in this industry and I, 27 years. My father is currently in Barts Hospital with terminal cancer and kidney failure so show some damned respect. We did not simply 'run' the marina; we created it, we put it on the damned map. The eviction was illegal as Gallions Point Marina Ltd has NO court orders against it whatsoever, and we will be returning to the High Court early next week, so the matter is far from concluded. I will post updates as and when possible, but in the meantime, would those posting unpleasant and disrespectful comments please remember that they are not in possession of all the facts before doing so. Thank you.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?508904-Gallions-point-marina-repossessed

I am very pleased to see that resulting comments were as supportive as they were, and good to see that she is mounting a challenge over this next week. I sincerely hope that this time she is going with decent professional Counsel.

12 hours ago, NigelMoore said:

Leigh-Jayne has posted a response to detractors on YBW Forum –

Indeed it was a dump. But successive government agencies were to blame for that. I wonder what those insulting our family business and applauding its' closure on this thread would have been able to produce given the same circumstances? How would they have conjured up the enormous investment required for such a large project on the short-term leases we were granted? We did our very best & ploughed every penny of our savings into the marina. We worked hard seven days a week for 27 years. As for 'didn't have a clue' - my father has over 40 years experience in this industry and I, 27 years. My father is currently in Barts Hospital with terminal cancer and kidney failure so show some damned respect. We did not simply 'run' the marina; we created it, we put it on the damned map. The eviction was illegal as Gallions Point Marina Ltd has NO court orders against it whatsoever, and we will be returning to the High Court early next week, so the matter is far from concluded. I will post updates as and when possible, but in the meantime, would those posting unpleasant and disrespectful comments please remember that they are not in possession of all the facts before doing so. Thank you.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?508904-Gallions-point-marina-repossessed

I am very pleased to see that resulting comments were as supportive as they were, and good to see that she is mounting a challenge over this next week. I sincerely hope that this time she is going with decent professional Counsel.

This is awful, Nigel; there are no words... plz keep us updated. 

13 hours ago, NigelMoore said:

Why enforcement officers would believe their remit extended to probing the contents of the firm’s computers is beyond me. 

Apparently (to correct above statement), those demanding access to the firm's computers (and who went through all the business paperwork) were in fact Royal Docks personnel, who must have accompanied the enforcement officers.

As for the bailiffs/security personnel, I was told this morning that "they had sent sniffer dogs into my home as they were looking for firearms, explosives and drugs! For goodness sake, I'm a 46 year old woman who's never been in trouble with the law and prior to them dragging me the court's, I'd never even seen the inside of a courtroom! Khanage must have some imagination eh?

They've also done an 'inventory' - have they been through my underwear drawer to count knickers and bras?"

39 minutes ago, lampini said:

This is awful, Nigel; there are no words... plz keep us updated. 

I certainly will. I am trying to find out when the court date of next week is, and what the details are.

It would be good to get something like the Evening Standard writing an article on this; regardless of the legality of the eviction itself, such conduct as is described needs addressing.

Are you sure these thugs did not time-travel in from 1930s Germany?

Even if the description is exaggerated, it is still appalling to think this can happen in this manner in England today.

The victims have my full sympathy and support. 

Was the raid backed by police? I thought only they would be empowered to mount a search for guns etc

Terrible 

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

Was the raid backed by police? I thought only they would be empowered to mount a search for guns etc

I would be surprised if they had not had a contingent of police present for such a large operation; one observer commented that there were about a dozen dog unit vehicles there! However, it is unclear whether any police were actively involved; they are usually there only to ‘keep the peace’, and will be entirely ignorant of any legalities as to the operation. If there had been any genuine fear over firearms etc, that would have to have been dealt with by appropriate firearms officers – I seriously doubt that that was the case; it was more likely to have been ‘mere’ intimidatory explanation/justification.

It may be that the enforcement team were alarmed at the local rag’s announcement that people were going to stage a ‘sit-in’, and prepared for maximum force to cope with a ‘Jericho’ scenario.

When the same thing happened to me, besides a legal officer representing the developers (sans any authorising documentation) and a rep for the developers, there was an alleged High Court officer accompanied by a team of 6 ex-marine security staff dressed top to toe in black quasi-combat gear, and a team of 4 ex-SBS dressed bizarrely in all-black drysuits, with a big overpowered RIB in a large van. They nonetheless still had a contingent of 6 rather disgruntled local police officers along as well, there only to keep the peace, with their senior officer explaining that they knew nothing about the legal situation, but if anybody got in the way of the ‘bailiffs’ they would be arrested.

This seems to have been a much larger, more aggressive and intrusive operation.

Parts of my far ‘gentler’ eviction were placed up on YouTube (much to the consternation of the Ballymore rep) shortly thereafter.

The moronic and misinformed chap claiming to be an High Court Enforcement Officer (he had NO enforcement order) was adamant that boats sitting on mud could be moved, with a tide expected by 11am, and if not we were all walking out on foot. I thought one of the lady boaters was splendid while attempting to convince the moron that she was taking her boat out that afternoon, and I could not help laughing at the idiot for refusing to accept what she was trying to say.

Thankfully, the rather nervous paralegal attending was prepared to have me show him the PLA tidetables online, which showed that we could not move until nearly 4pm that afternoon, and he instructed the ‘bailiffs’ to wait until then (they had rocked up at 7am).

As I told the paralegal, they had to do what they had to do – and vice versa, which is what I did, once I put all the legal spadework in. It cost them dearly in the end. We may not be friends exactly now, but are at least co-existing with civility.

I do wish Leigh-Jayne had had cctv installed so that we could all have seen things go down first hand, but the odds are that it would have been ‘lost’ while she was turfed out of her offices and home. She needs all the evidence she can get to bring into the Court next week, but it will probably boil down to competing oral claims. I would be very interested to see if they actually did have enforcement orders; as with me, they often choose to bluff it out with a mere judgment for possession.

• 1 month later...