Refurbishing old gauge

Chris-B

Featured Posts

ho ho ho James ..........I CAN do subtle

I noticed that at Alvecote this year - you were unexpectedly gentle with the unsuspecting passers-by who found themselves caught up in the parades.

Pity.

As a student apprentice with the (as was) CEGB, part of our training (cheap labour) was working at our local power station, in this case Hull.

We rotated around various shops including the instrument one. I remember taking apart all manner of gauges although mainly temperature and pressure. Typical overhaul included stripping down after removing glass and pointer (using similar extractor as linked above) , cleaning parts in solvent, maybe re-painting dial before re-assembly, testing and calibrating on a rig.

Clearing out some junk in my garage and found a box of budenberg gauges of various denominations

Two of them are rigged with alarm contacts, one has cracked glass and one no glass

Lovely things that might be useful to some one with a vintage machine of some sort

Hopefully the pic will work !

PM if interested or with suggestions of how to get them a loving home otherwise I'll weigh em in, the're heavy beastspost-14426-0-97469700-1478557150_thumb.jpeg

Clearing out some junk in my garage and found a box of budenberg gauges of various denominations

Two of them are rigged with alarm contacts, one has cracked glass and one no glass

Lovely things that might be useful to some one with a vintage machine of some sort

PM if interested or with suggestions of how to get them a loving home otherwise I'll weigh em in, the're heavy beastsattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Just gone right back to my youth - I spent several years constantly looking at pressure and vacuum gauges just like those

PM if interested or with suggestions of how to get them a loving home otherwise I'll weigh em in, the're heavy beastsattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I bet you'd get £30 for each of them on ebay.

We met a trading boat at Middlewich festival this year who was taking old brass gauges, making new faces, and then turning them into clocks and barometers. He was doing very brisk business. He did have a contact who did some sort of industrial refurbishment and was able to provide a supply of old gauges as he said eBay was a bit expensive.

..............Dave

Hmm possibly but probably not worth the hassle with the oh it's not quite the size I thought it was or it doesn't work or I don't want to pay the postage can I pick up etc

They are nice bits of industrial history though

I bet you'd get £30 for each of them on ebay.

Does anyone know the correct way of removing the needle so I can refurbish the facia ?

I don't want to damage it with the Bull in a China shop method

Thanks

Chris

Check to see if the brass part in the centre of the needle will unscrew. They sometimes do, and then the needle should just lift off. If the brass part is knurled, it will probably unscrew.